irabowman
Civilian

{ Newbi } Few Questions

Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:05 pm

Just bought this game and have played the tutorials and been watching let's play videos.

1. I have noticed that navy forces don't pop up like land units do and it is frustrating trying to find them. So while I get basics down I was just going to let game take care of my navy. What would be best setting in options to use?

2. Can you lay siege on a town \ city same way as a fort? Try and starve them out? I been trying to figure this out and it always ends up being a fight where I or they lose and retreat.

3. Winter months I don't fully understand does your men need to actually be in forts \ towns so they don't suffer losses due to elements or just in the region that has the city \ fort.

4. This game has so much stuff for new player to learn so I may have missed it somewhere. How do you get more conscripts?

Hope I worded my questions correctly. Thank you and yes I enjoy the game so far just a lot of info to learn.

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:33 pm

irabowman wrote:Just bought this game and have played the tutorials and been watching let's play videos.

Welcome to the forum.

irabowman wrote:1. I have noticed that navy forces don't pop up like land units do and it is frustrating trying to find them. So while I get basics down I was just going to let game take care of my navy. What would be best setting in options to use?

I'm not sure what exactly you mean? You can easily find your naval units. You can cycle through your naval units without sentry status by pressing T/Y keys.

irabowman wrote:2. Can you lay siege on a town \ city same way as a fort? Try and starve them out? I been trying to figure this out and it always ends up being a fight where I or they lose and retreat.

Yes you can. If they have a harbour make sure it is blockaded.

irabowman wrote:3. Winter months I don't fully understand does your men need to actually be in forts \ towns so they don't suffer losses due to elements or just in the region that has the city \ fort.

Just being in the region will suffice. Make sure they have supplies though.

irabowman wrote:4. This game has so much stuff for new player to learn so I may have missed it somewhere. How do you get more conscripts?

Call for volunteers or mobilisation options.
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."
-General William Barksdale at Fredericksburg

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:57 pm

I echo Barksdale's welcome!

1. Once you try the T/Y keys to cycle through your naval units, you'll find that using them yourself is a good part of any overall strategy. As the CSA, you'll want to maximize income from your blockade runners and your ironclads can do a good job of protecting sea approaches to places like New Orleans if you move them yourself. As the Union, a blue water blockade can be handled somewhat by the program, but you'll want to manually keep the brown water blockade going for Richmond. Also, amphibious operations are a good strategic threat against the South's open seaboard.

2. If a city icon has a series of one or more green dots below it, then a force occupies it. If you move your own forces into the region, then the city force is under siege. Otherwise, the force is simply in a region with a city. If you move there, a battle will occur.

3. Being in a region with a structure is one way to reduce attrition. From the Wiki:

"Attrition Reduction
The effects of Attrition are reduced by:
Rich Region: Attrition losses are reduced by 50% if a Force is occupying a Rich region,
Civilized Region: Attrition losses are reduced by 10% if a Force is occupying a Civilized region,
Supply Wagons: A Supply Wagon (with General Supply) accompanying a land Force reduces attrition losses by 10%. Fleets are not protected by the presence of Naval Transports.
Force is entrenched: A Force that is entrenched (regardless of level) reduces attrition losses by 20%."

So a force entrenched in a Rich region with a Supply Wagon gets the full 80% reduction, but still suffers some attrition in Snow, Blizzard or Frozen weather.

4. A third way to possibly get +45 conscripts is to play the Regional Decision Card that does this.
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

Return to “Civil War II”