LCcmdr
Captain

Does Athena "know" when each of my generals or stacks are not activated...?

Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:05 am

I can believe that Athena "knows" when each of my generals or stacks are not activated since, on several occasions, the CSA has moved by train, attacked a stack, and then moved back by train to be there waiting--all that while, my Union generals are not activated! How frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Captain_Orso

Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:22 pm

No, she doesn't.

This is difficult to explain but simple to understand. The -35% for being inactive is a maximum. It can be less though, depending on enemy MC in the region. If enemy MC in the region is <35%, that is the penalty in combat (not movement).

So in a region where you have 100% MC, if the enemy attacks you there, your penalty is -0%.

Of course, the more MC the enemy gains in the region, the worse your inactive stack will fight, but Athena doesn't know your activation, sooo...

LCcmdr
Captain

Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:53 am

Captain_Orso wrote:No, she doesn't.

This is difficult to explain but simple to understand. The -35% for being inactive is a maximum. It can be less though, depending on enemy MC in the region. If enemy MC in the region is <35%, that is the penalty in combat (not movement).

So in a region where you have 100% MC, if the enemy attacks you there, your penalty is -0%.

Of course, the more MC the enemy gains in the region, the worse your inactive stack will fight, but Athena doesn't know your activation, sooo...

Thanks, again!

Perhaps, just maybe, Athena knows the game better than I--just guessing (as a newcomer to the AGE family of games). :)

It's all good, though!

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:06 am

Athena is fairly good at launching attacks where you are weak. Strangely, if you max out Athena's detection settings it can make her play worse. She will see weak points far past the front lines and go try to take them. One of the more frequent targets she goes chasing after is Pittsburgh. It is weird, but I do think she plays better the less she sees.

I think AGEod did a great thing by naming their AI. It is quite amusing to me how she is more often refereed to as a person than not. Granted, I am very biased toward the Goddess Athena. Back in middle-school some of my friends started to non-seriously worship Eris after they read some books about Discordianism. Just to be a contrary jerk like immature kids tend to do, I started to worship Athena. While it was a joke at the time, when I stumbled upon a game with an AI named Athena I was immediately sold.

I've got a friend who is pretty addicted to the ERB videos - Whenever he plays the one with Socrates, I picture his first verse being said by AGEod's Athena. Most fitting banter:

Athena wrote:I'm coming of the Acropolis
to start some pandemonium
Don't bring limp raps
to a pimp-slap symposium

LCcmdr
Captain

Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:06 pm

I, likewise, have drunk deeply from the cup of ancient, classical history--and love the redefinition banter (of man making gods in their image). An interesting age.

Also, perhaps I should give Athena more vision into to get slammed a less often.

hanny1
Captain

Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:59 pm

Look at the AI log, you can see how the AI updates and choses new options and so on, from it you can get a broad idea of how the AI is operating, from there you can look at the actual AI files that tell it how to do different things.

Captain_Orso

Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:49 pm

LCcmdr wrote:Thanks, again!

Perhaps, just maybe, Athena knows the game better than I--just guessing (as a newcomer to the AGE family of games). :)

It's all good, though!

Athena can smell a weak-point a mile... a hundred miles away. And she enjoys making you pay for your mistakes :blink:

Remember this scene?

[video=youtube;spHEw2n9LwE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spHEw2n9LwE[/video]

Athena doesn't hesitate :evilgrin:

Cardinal Ape wrote:Athena is fairly good at launching attacks where you are weak. Strangely, if you max out Athena's detection settings it can make her play worse. She will see weak points far past the front lines and go try to take them. One of the more frequent targets she goes chasing after is Pittsburgh. It is weird, but I do think she plays better the less she sees.

I think AGEod did a great thing by naming their AI. It is quite amusing to me how she is more often refereed to as a person than not. Granted, I am very biased toward the Goddess Athena. Back in middle-school some of my friends started to non-seriously worship Eris after they read some books about Discordianism. Just to be a contrary jerk like immature kids tend to do, I started to worship Athena. While it was a joke at the time, when I stumbled upon a game with an AI named Athena I was immediately sold.

I've got a friend who is pretty addicted to the ERB videos - Whenever he plays the one with Socrates, I picture his first verse being said by AGEod's Athena. Most fitting banter:

IIRC AGEod didn't name the AI Athena, Aphrodite Mae :love: did.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:03 pm

FYI and way OT, this scene with Galadriel was never fully explained in the film. In the book, "The Silmarillion", Galadriel chose to side with her family in a rebellion against "the West". She left the island of the Valar for Middle Earth to recover the powerful Silmaril stones that Morgoth had stolen. This resulted in a battle wherein elves slew elves. As punishment, Galadriel was not allowed to return until she ate some humble pie. Thus, "I passed the test! I shall diminish and pass into the West...and remain Galadriel."

http://whatculture.com/film/after-the-hobbit-10-reasons-peter-jackson-must-make-the-silmarillion.php
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:34 am

If you like two player strategy games and LOTR then you should check out this game:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9609/war-ring-first-edition

I highly recommend it. The balance is quite good, so is the variation from play to play. There is a second version out now, I hear it is even better. I was hoping to get it for x-mas, but I got Washington's War instead.

Captain_Orso

Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:16 pm

Gray Fox wrote:FYI and way OT, this scene with Galadriel was never fully explained in the film. In the book, "The Silmarillion", Galadriel chose to side with her family in a rebellion against "the West". She left the island of the Valar for Middle Earth to recover the powerful Silmaril stones that Morgoth had stolen. This resulted in a battle wherein elves slew elves. As punishment, Galadriel was not allowed to return until she ate some humble pie. Thus, "I passed the test! I shall diminish and pass into the West...and remain Galadriel."

http://whatculture.com/film/after-the-hobbit-10-reasons-peter-jackson-must-make-the-silmarillion.php

I read that over 30 years ago :blink: . It was so full of epic stories that could have been expanded into a dozen LotR's... and I never would have seen the light of day again :bonk:

Cardinal Ape wrote:If you like two player strategy games and LOTR then you should check out this game:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9609/war-ring-first-edition

I highly recommend it. The balance is quite good, so is the variation from play to play. There is a second version out now, I hear it is even better. I was hoping to get it for x-mas, but I got Washington's War instead.

LOL I've played that. Talk about the battle between north and south, but with the south having all the resources at the start :wacko:

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:35 pm

I actually own this one:

http://pbem.brainiac.com/wotrpbm.htm

Captain_Orso

Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:03 pm

WotR from Ares is almost a beer-n-prezels game. Hey, it's got figurines :wacko: But you have to use all your special abilities as the North... I mean the Alliance ;) to keep from being overrun nearly right from the start :blink:

LCcmdr
Captain

Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:46 pm

Captain_Orso wrote:WotR from Ares is almost a beer-n-prezels game. Hey, it's got figurines :wacko: But you have to use all your special abilities as the North... I mean the Alliance ;) to keep from being overrun nearly right from the start :blink:

I'm making a huge assumption here; but, given such shameless recognition of board games (I've played many Avalon Hill games wayback when), I must have found the right group of folks--those whom time has aged into a "better" vintage?!

No offense intended, if that's not the case!

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:24 pm

Hopefully. Apologies for hijacking your thread.

LCcmdr
Captain

Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:58 pm

Never a problem!

Captain_Orso

Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:10 pm

Aged? Who you callin' old :p apy:

;)

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:53 pm

Well, there doesn't seem to be a better way to articulate it.

I turned 60 last month. Even though I did 60 push-ups (in less than 60 minutes) I can no longer say I'm middle aged, as I don't expect to live to 120. So, I suppose I'm an old geezer. I was hoping that the Social Security office would send me a pamphlet on "proper geezing". I've been trying to get my geeze on.

I'm pretty sure that I shouldn't geeze on a crowded elevator, though.

I read that 60 is the new 40, but when I explained that to the traffic cop, he still gave me a ticket.

Anyway, I hope that Athena really appreciates her thread.

Captain_Orso

Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:39 am

I just turned 56, so watch out, I'm catching up to you :mdr:

You know that song from the Who, My Generation? Well I still say it's MY Generation! So all those hip-hoppers and rappers can f-f-f-fade way! ;)

LCcmdr
Captain

Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:19 am

Captain_Orso wrote:I just turned 56, so watch out, I'm catching up to you :mdr:

You know that song from the Who, My Generation? Well I still say it's MY Generation! So all those hip-hoppers and rappers can f-f-f-fade way! ;)

Man, what a find!!! Being able to learn from other "vintage" folks-- I'm 57 years old and loving being young at heart every day!!!!!!

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:13 am

Hmmm.

It is a weird feeling being the odd one out in a thread about video games because I am 20 years younger than the rest of you. And they say video games are for kids - way to shatter the stereotype. :thumbsup:

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:16 pm

Cardinal Ape wrote:, I am very biased toward the Goddess Athena. , when I stumbled upon a game with an AI named Athena I was immediately sold.

lol. In french this should translate:
Socrates wrote:Je viens de l'Acropole
pour provoquer quelque cacophonie
Ne produisez pas de molles causettes
à un colloque de voyous abrupts

khbynum
Major

Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:25 pm

Captain_Orso wrote:I just turned 56, so watch out, I'm catching up to you :mdr:

I'm 68, do I win a prize?

As my avatar would say, "Too old to rock 'n' roll, too young to die.".

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:50 pm

My mother is 92 so I may have some good genes to work with.

I plan on posting until AGEOD comes out with Virtual Reality CW.

Straight Arrow
General

Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:58 pm

Going to hit sixty this year.

Man, where is that wisdom that suppose to come with age? It's hard when a young, whippersnapper like Cardinal Ape can run rings around you.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth.

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:00 am

All in jest my good friend. :p oke:

Straight Arrow wrote:Going to hit sixty this year.

Man, where is that wisdom that suppose to come with age? It's hard when a young, whippersnapper like Cardinal Ape can run rings around you.

A whippersnapper, aye?
Might as well embrace my new job
Least I got a sharp wit like a spit
that'll skewer you like a Confu-shish-kebab

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:24 pm

Perhaps Athena is short for something...

ATHENA - Antagonistic To Humans Everywhere, Normally Aggressive.

Captain_Orso

Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:38 am

khbynum wrote:I'm 68, do I win a prize?

Yup! Image

khbynum wrote:As my avatar would say, "Too old to rock 'n' roll, too young to die.".

Too old?!? Never!! I just got two Grand Funk Railroad CD's this week and a Doobie Brothers CD last week. Listening to music has gotten to be like a scene from Good Morning Vietnam
Adrain Cronauer: We're talking out in the field today. Hi, what's your name?
Bob-the-Artilleryman: My name's Bob Fliber!
Adrain Cronauer: Bob, what do you do?
Bob-the-Artilleryman: I'm in the artillery!
Adrain Cronauer: Thank you, Bob. Listen, can we play anything for you?
Bob-the-Artilleryman: Anything! Just play it loud! Okay?

Gray Fox wrote:My mother is 92 so I may have some good genes to work with.

I plan on posting until AGEOD comes out with Virtual Reality CW.

Oh-oh... it's already here...

;)

Straight Arrow wrote:Going to hit sixty this year.

Spent too many decades in the 60's?

Cardinal Ape wrote:All in jest my good friend. :p oke:

A whippersnapper, aye?
Might as well embrace my new job
Least I got a sharp wit like a spit
that'll skewer you like a Confu-shish-kebab

It saddens me, that nobody has yet come up with a replacement for whippersnapper; that was old when I was a kid :(

Anyway, kids think they know everything these days, but we still have to explain everything to them

And this is how their world view looks

Gray Fox wrote:Perhaps Athena is short for something...

ATHENA - Antagonistic To Humans Everywhere, Normally Aggressive.

Nope, dude, you must be getting really rusty, because i already answered this above, "IIRC AGEod didn't name the AI Athena, Aphrodite Mae :love: did". You see Athena and Aphrodite are sisters. You should know this. That was current news when you were young.... Image

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:48 pm

Nicely played Captain. I got a few good laughs outta that.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:15 pm

Yeah, I dated Athena and Aphrodite. I didn't speak a word of Greek, but we used a lot of hand gestures...

Perhaps Seinfeld should join us in this thread about nothing.

Captain_Orso

Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:19 pm

Gray Fox wrote:Yeah, I dated Athena and Aphrodite. I didn't speak a word of Greek, but we used a lot of hand gestures...

Yeah, with some girls, a language barrier can have its advantages ;)

Gray Fox wrote:Perhaps Seinfeld should join us in this thread about nothing.

:blink: I have a strange reaction to Seinfeld. He's funny, but he bores me somehow :confused: ... :mdr:

I miss Robin Williams Image

Return to “Civil War II”