User avatar
XTRG
Sergeant
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:49 pm

The Union's mentality seem's akin to the Soviet's

Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:42 pm

So just fought the 3rd battle for Manassas, VA! 3 Victories so far with the 3rd being a crushing victory for the South!

http://imgur.com/gallery/2Jcc7E8

from the new series im running as the CSA https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbSx_b5pOYvHawWsJoSZa8fSWqEB6IzgE

Any tip's would be greatly appreciated from any of you CW2 Vet's :)

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:43 am

Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:41 pm

Just a few things I always remember to do when playing as the CSA.

1. Forget navy. It'll take half of your resources to build up a navy strong enough to take on the Union (and besides, it will take forever). Focus on land builds and for navy go for cheaper blockade runners.

2. Some light industry builds isn't a bad idea, but do them early to maximize their return, and build them in the deep south to keep them from being conquered.

3. You can sacrifice building a western army for some time. The Union AI seems overly aggressive in the east and a bit more cautious in the west. Use that western pause to get maximum unit builds in Virginia and the Carolinas. The Union AI goes for Richmond early and often. AS Johnston can afford to whittle some sticks in Tennessee for a bit.

4. Keep diversions in the Shenandoah for as long as possible. Small forces up there, especially under Jackson, can tie up huge Union forces for some time.

5. If you can keep the west secure and have the resources, eventually try and build up an offensive army to go after Cairo, St. Louis up the Mississippi. Take Grant's historical campaign towards Vicksburg and just reverse it with St. Louis as the objective instead. Splitting the north and taking Cairo and St. Louis can give a big NM boost, plus it will give a punch to the Union's front line industry gains.

6. Most important lesson playing as the CSA - Cities can be retaken. Human lives cannot. Don't throw your men away in suicide attacks. Be cautious and defensive and look for weaknesses in the enemy to exploit.

7. Take Denver if you can. Taking Denver and its gold mines can give you a nice $$$ boost that adds up as the game progresses. A small force under Sibley or Watie should be enough to grab it.

Now, time to go make Lincoln whistle Dixie! :thumbsup:

User avatar
XTRG
Sergeant
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:49 pm

Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:07 pm

Boomer wrote:Just a few things I always remember to do when playing as the CSA.

1. Forget navy. It'll take half of your resources to build up a navy strong enough to take on the Union (and besides, it will take forever). Focus on land builds and for navy go for cheaper blockade runners.

2. Some light industry builds isn't a bad idea, but do them early to maximize their return, and build them in the deep south to keep them from being conquered.

3. You can sacrifice building a western army for some time. The Union AI seems overly aggressive in the east and a bit more cautious in the west. Use that western pause to get maximum unit builds in Virginia and the Carolinas. The Union AI goes for Richmond early and often. AS Johnston can afford to whittle some sticks in Tennessee for a bit.

4. Keep diversions in the Shenandoah for as long as possible. Small forces up there, especially under Jackson, can tie up huge Union forces for some time.

5. If you can keep the west secure and have the resources, eventually try and build up an offensive army to go after Cairo, St. Louis up the Mississippi. Take Grant's historical campaign towards Vicksburg and just reverse it with St. Louis as the objective instead. Splitting the north and taking Cairo and St. Louis can give a big NM boost, plus it will give a punch to the Union's front line industry gains.

6. Most important lesson playing as the CSA - Cities can be retaken. Human lives cannot. Don't throw your men away in suicide attacks. Be cautious and defensive and look for weaknesses in the enemy to exploit.

7. Take Denver if you can. Taking Denver and its gold mines can give you a nice $$$ boost that adds up as the game progresses. A small force under Sibley or Watie should be enough to grab it.

Now, time to go make Lincoln whistle Dixie! :thumbsup:


I've so far had a very agressive Union in the west, So far they've pushed up to 1k in combat strength from St.Louis to Surrounding area's along with landing a small marine contingent in texas. Been loosing small battle's in the west due to the fact i can't get a break with the vast distance's back to a supply point >.<.

While in the East i've managed something of a Pincer movement as the vast majority of the Union's force is focussed upon Manassas while i took harper's ferry and got an army of 900-1000 sat Besieging Baltimore and the town next to Port tabacco ( Can't remind the name atm ) i took over with a Calvary contingent through which i landed a few brigades using riverine movement to cross the river to the DC side, In essence the Union's main army is far too focused upon the army of Beauregard.

http://i.imgur.com/2KxWoKP.jpg?1 Screenshot of the East, let me know what you think i should do !

User avatar
DrPostman
Posts: 3001
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:39 pm
Location: Memphis, TN
Contact: Website Facebook Twitter YouTube

Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:33 am

If there isn't much in there I'd storm Baltimore. Get you some nice union ships. Once
I even managed to capture 2 blockade fleets being built and finished them. The CSA
actually got to have a strong navy at that point!
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

Image

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:43 am

Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:35 am

XTRG wrote:I've so far had a very agressive Union in the west, So far they've pushed up to 1k in combat strength from St.Louis to Surrounding area's along with landing a small marine contingent in texas. Been loosing small battle's in the west due to the fact i can't get a break with the vast distance's back to a supply point >.<.

While in the East i've managed something of a Pincer movement as the vast majority of the Union's force is focussed upon Manassas while i took harper's ferry and got an army of 900-1000 sat Besieging Baltimore and the town next to Port tabacco ( Can't remind the name atm ) i took over with a Calvary contingent through which i landed a few brigades using riverine movement to cross the river to the DC side, In essence the Union's main army is far too focused upon the army of Beauregard.

http://i.imgur.com/2KxWoKP.jpg?1 Screenshot of the East, let me know what you think i should do !


Yeah, I've been watching. Very aggressive. Could work. You're weak at the moment, but so is the Union. Baltimore is in danger, but so is Johnson. Taking Baltimore would be great, but you'd be crazy to try and hold it for any length of time. Get it, snag those ships if you can and get them back to Norfolk. Then toss away a sacrifice garrison for Baltimore and then get the hell out of there. Johnson's probably in more danger than you think. If he gets bottled up or gets a loss of cohesion while retreating it could be big trouble. Then PGT would be your last stand force to hold back a Union counteroffensive. Unlike the resource rich North, you have to contemplate the options in case your next move goes horribly wrong.

Going aggressive certainly makes for an interesting game, though. Your choices would certainly counter mine. As the CSA, I usually don't do anything in the first year or so except hold the line and build decent armies in east/west. For the forts you're going after out west, burn them to the ground. Scorched Earth can work for you as well as it does the Union. Make every step south they take a tough one.

User avatar
XTRG
Sergeant
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:49 pm

Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:58 pm

Well thing's turned out differently then what i was expecting !

The Union force's at Mananas are recalled to force the Army under the Command Of General Johnston from Baltimore, They are successful however 2 battle's took place resulting in 5000-10,000 Casualties for the Union ( Johnston with 16,000 men under his command and level 4 entrenchment put up a damn good figh against the 44,000 Strong Union Army, however lacking supplies he was unable to maintain his position and as such retreated west but ! on the way he managed to almost wipe out 2000 Union Militiamen )

With the Union's withdrawal at Mananas it has given me a free hand to push with my greatest army onto Alexandria!

http://imgur.com/gallery/7uWNq <----- Small album with description's for those who like spoiler's if you are watching my series :D

User avatar
XTRG
Sergeant
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:49 pm

Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:59 pm

Boomer wrote:Yeah, I've been watching. Very aggressive. Could work. You're weak at the moment, but so is the Union. Baltimore is in danger, but so is Johnson. Taking Baltimore would be great, but you'd be crazy to try and hold it for any length of time. Get it, snag those ships if you can and get them back to Norfolk. Then toss away a sacrifice garrison for Baltimore and then get the hell out of there. Johnson's probably in more danger than you think. If he gets bottled up or gets a loss of cohesion while retreating it could be big trouble. Then PGT would be your last stand force to hold back a Union counteroffensive. Unlike the resource rich North, you have to contemplate the options in case your next move goes horribly wrong.

Going aggressive certainly makes for an interesting game, though. Your choices would certainly counter mine. As the CSA, I usually don't do anything in the first year or so except hold the line and build decent armies in east/west. For the forts you're going after out west, burn them to the ground. Scorched Earth can work for you as well as it does the Union. Make every step south they take a tough one.


I suppose i play very aggressive i suppose it's a part of your personality tho i don't believe i go in without a backup plan as the army of Johnston tho in a bad position allowed me to push the Union back across the River to DC.

How would you of played ? you say i would counter you! I'm intrigued by the thought's of others :)

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:43 am

Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:20 pm

XTRG wrote:Well thing's turned out differently then what i was expecting !

The Union force's at Mananas are recalled to force the Army under the Command Of General Johnston from Baltimore, They are successful however 2 battle's took place resulting in 5000-10,000 Casualties for the Union ( Johnston with 16,000 men under his command and level 4 entrenchment put up a damn good figh against the 44,000 Strong Union Army, however lacking supplies he was unable to maintain his position and as such retreated west but ! on the way he managed to almost wipe out 2000 Union Militiamen )

With the Union's withdrawal at Mananas it has given me a free hand to push with my greatest army onto Alexandria!

http://imgur.com/gallery/7uWNq <----- Small album with description's for those who like spoiler's if you are watching my series :D


As you can see, the Union is already building up some deadly forces, with that 4,000+ force under Butler in D.C. Bad general or not, that's a lot of blue bellies.

How many unit builds do you have going on in Virginia? Whatever that number is, double it. A cranked up Union AI could be steam rolling you by mid '62. Also, that navy going up the James river will probably land the troops at Suffolk or Norfolk. I've never seen the Union AI make a naval landing at Richmond, though I guess it could happen depending on what you have in the city to defend it. Taking Johnson or PGT back to Richmond to screen that naval movement probably isn't a bad idea. At this point an aggressive naval landing looks more likely than a southern march by the troops in D.C.

Look forward to more episodes in your LP. It'll be interesting to see how your aggressive approach plays out in a long term scenario. Oh, and did I suggest building more troops in Virginia? Yeah, lots of them. 1862 is when things start to get really interesting. You'll need every swinging d**k you can that can hold a rifle. It's just too bad the game doesn't allow the 'arm the slaves' option for the CSA way back in 1861.

User avatar
XTRG
Sergeant
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:49 pm

Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:29 pm

The next episode's recorded today will be up by tonight :) .

Indeed the Union has a good amount of strength there but the thing is really what will they do with it ? sit there? fine by me :D , As i entrench across the river in Alexandria the river crossing will turn into a Confederate Killing field as their bad general will screw them up quite nicely. I have a couple thousand men in the vicinity of Richmond to deal with any landing and by the look's it's nothing but Militiamen so lamb's to the slaughter. regarding the fleet how would a single ironclad do against that fleet? have not used them before so unsure :P

As far as building unit's i have 6 small brigades of infantry building and 2 cannon, recruited the max number of the full strength Infantry Division's along with a host of HQ support's and engineer's, they have a considerable strength in the west which is surprising but i'e got my army sorted finally to be able to begin a push for St.Louis. The Union stand's at 76 Morale currently to my 110 so im hoping to get the advantage and force the Union to make bad move's ( Hoping they will attempt to regain Alexandria once im entrench. Regarding Alexandria i believe i will just seige the province in hope's the A.I will focus on relieving the Siege of Alexandria and so send troop's across the river

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:43 am

Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:28 pm

Speaking of the Union's mentality being like the Soviets...

This happened in a game of mine a while back. That's what can happen when a reinforced and entrenched force under Lee deals with an attacking Union force. Paper rock scissors. A few more battles like that and it was game over.

[ATTACH]34739[/ATTACH]
Attachments
CW2 2015-07-06 01-46-33-84.jpg

User avatar
XTRG
Sergeant
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:49 pm

Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:16 pm

Boomer wrote:Speaking of the Union's mentality being like the Soviets...

This happened in a game of mine a while back. That's what can happen when a reinforced and entrenched force under Lee deals with an attacking Union force. Paper rock scissors. A few more battles like that and it was game over.

[ATTACH]34739[/ATTACH]


Damn that's a beautiful result and 1864 ? i guess the Union managed to drag it out

User avatar
Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor
Posts: 1520
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:48 pm
Location: Englewood, OH

Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:09 pm

One can never be too aggressive.

[ATTACH]34740[/ATTACH]
Attachments
signature.jpg
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:43 am

Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:49 pm

Xtrg,
Couple things I noticed while watching your new episodes. Division ability comes in Oct '61, corps in '62... March, I believe. Also, you can combine single militia regiments together to form small brigades. It'll give a slight boost to their combat power and help when forming them into divisions.

When Lee gets unlocked you'll have some interesting choices for what to do with him. Usually I put him in charge of of the ANV (Johnson's force) and send Johnson out west to begin overseeing a new army. I saw that you put randomize generals on. It'll be interesting to see what those changes do for the 2 and 3 star generals.

I laughed when you took Bragg out of the command stack and said, 'he'll just be more of a hassle.' Understatement of the year. ;)

User avatar
XTRG
Sergeant
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:49 pm

Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:29 am

Image

Well that was a lovely high!

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:43 am

Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:49 am

Xtrg,
Good campaign so far, especially out west. You're really keeping Athena on her toes. Virginia could see trouble soon. There's some huge combat power Union stacks. Hope they sit still for a while.

Are you still planning on a move towards St. Louis?

User avatar
XTRG
Sergeant
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:49 pm

Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:44 pm

St.Louis has been taken, recorded another 3 hour's today after the 3 hour's and 30 min's the day before. I well and truly know about their number's * Stiff upper lip *

User avatar
ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard
Posts: 992
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:00 am
Location: Austin, TX, USA

Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:16 am

XTRG, I am dying to know how that battle in Alexandria/Leesburg turned out. If you haven't recorded it yet, I would really like to see the battle reports from that fight in the next video.

User avatar
XTRG
Sergeant
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:49 pm

Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:20 pm

ArmChairGeneral wrote:XTRG, I am dying to know how that battle in Alexandria/Leesburg turned out. If you haven't recorded it yet, I would really like to see the battle reports from that fight in the next video.


Just rendering the 2nd half of the session, compressing 360gb take's a while but i'll put it this way thing's will become very very difficult

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:43 am

Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:12 pm

Xtrg, Things are getting dicey in the LP. Really entertaining so far. Virginia is in total chaos. How are you doing holding back those Union doom stacks? Late war for the CSA player requires a lot of fine tuning and pinpoint strategies. Late game can get very tough fighting off all the various threats and keeping your industry/armies protected. Hope you can pull it off.

kc87
Corporal
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:06 am

Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:42 am

Butler is ridiculous, I just cant beat him. Not sure if this is a bug or some kind of super ambush, but he keeps running around with just one brigade of 21,000 men whipping the Army of Shenendoah

[ATTACH]35106[/ATTACH]
Attachments
butler.png

User avatar
Captain_Orso
Posts: 5766
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:02 pm
Location: Stuttgart, Germany

Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:14 pm

The Union must have units inside Winchester which did not take part in the battle. Those are counted at the top of the Battle Report. Tower's Bde. cannot have over 21,000 men; closer to about 2,500 at the most.

Was Johnston moving away from Winchester? It seems very odd to me that he should be put into retreat if he destroyed the opposing force completely.

BTW Butler is probably wounded now, so he won't be bothering you for a few turns.
Image

kc87
Corporal
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:06 am

Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:29 pm

Butler attacked Johnston outside of Winchester, the Union never held control of the town itself. Even though I lost the battle somehow Johnston maintained his position, very strange outcome though.

User avatar
ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard
Posts: 992
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:00 am
Location: Austin, TX, USA

Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:09 am

Butler probably didn't attack himself. Tower's Brigade was set to Offensive posture for some reason, probably arriving in the region as a reinforcement but in the wrong posture. They engaged, targeted the CSA stack, and took enough hits to get wiped out. On the Second round, Butler's forces committed in support of their outmatched stack (Tower's Brigade) but Johnson was able to successfully withdraw in the face of Butler's larger force. This would exactly account for the result shown. Butler was "in command" of Tower's Brigade because he is the highest ranking officer in the region.

I have noticed that sometimes these non-losing losses do not force an exit from the region on withdrawal. I do not know why, but I have seen it happen before.

kc87
Corporal
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:06 am

Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:57 am

I was hoping it was just a freak occurrence but something similar happened again. The battle report only had one round of combat, and the result was Jackson's division completely destroyed down to the man and Jackson himself killed.. The only possibility I can think of is that my cavalry was not picking up intel so i'm getting false battle reports, that or my campaign is totally borked.. I have 8 elements of cavalry in the Army of the Shenandoah, although they didn't appear on the battle report, they were in the Army.


[ATTACH]35115[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]35113[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]35114[/ATTACH]
Attachments
resultbattle.png
round 1.png
battlestart.png
jacksondefeat.png

User avatar
Captain_Orso
Posts: 5766
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:02 pm
Location: Stuttgart, Germany

Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:49 am

Do you have a save of that and the previous turn?
Image

kc87
Corporal
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:06 am

Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:20 pm

Captain_Orso wrote:Do you have a save of that and the previous turn?


Unfortunately I deleted the game save after it happened again. The same thing happened in Manassas the next turn, one brigade wiped out an entire division, although there was a very large Union stack in the region they did not show up on the battle report, only one unit did. Going to start a new campaign.

I was thinking the high traffic penalty and high delay settings i'm using might have something to do with this, maybe it is somehow bugging out the battles.

User avatar
Captain_Orso
Posts: 5766
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:02 pm
Location: Stuttgart, Germany

Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:58 am

Might the files still be in the Windows Recycle Bin?
Image

kc87
Corporal
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:06 am

Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:56 pm

Captain_Orso wrote:Might the files still be in the Windows Recycle Bin?


Yes they are all there, I have sent you a message, I am not sure how to put the save files back together.

Return to “Civil War II”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests