marquo
Lieutenant

Embedded or Independent Support Units?

Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:30 pm

When calculating frontage, "ideal" composition of divisions, and bonuses, does it matter if the elements are independent or intrinsic to brigades/rgts?

For example, there are artillery or sharpshooter elements intrinsic to certain units we can purchase, and of course these can be purchased independently and added to a stack. So, if I want 4 artillery elements in division, do the elements embedded into purchased units count, or do they have to be independent units with 4 elements?

Same for Sharpshooters; if the ideal is one element/division, do I have to place an extra independent unit into the stack or do the elements embedded into the units suffice. I have noticed that a Sharpshooter icon appears on the leader's Atavar when an independent sharpshooter is added to the stack, but not otherwise.

If not to the questions above, why ever buy infantry units with artillery or sharpshooters embedded into the OOB if they do not count for the above purposes?

Thanks,

Marquo

Ace

Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:17 pm

Embedded elements count. Once division is formed, it doesn't matter from what brigades it was formed, only what regiments/elements the division has.

willgamer
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:51 pm

Yes, they all count, but you may want to consider that while all sharpshooters and cavalry are the same, the embedded arty that you get are all 6 pounders. This may or may not be what you want.

Ol' Choctaw

Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:12 pm

When it comes to loose units in a stack or embedded into a division you may want all that you can put into divisions as losses are spread out more. A single sharpshooter for example may be destroyed if outside a brigade or division. Those in a brigade will be rebuilt but one lost on its own will have to be bought anew and my not go back into the force pool once eliminated. It is usually to your advantage to have all un-brigaded combat units in a division.

marquo
Lieutenant

Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:49 pm

So why does the Division Leader Icon get a sharpshooter badge if I add an independent sharpshooter brigade, but not if the sharpshooters are embedded?

Thanks

wosung

Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:35 am

Sometimes the sharpshooters badge isn't displayed when the division leader himself has numerous (3?) trait badges (FREX, IIRC Sherman). Not enough space on the counter. So, if you combine a bde with sharpshooter and elite (+) badge with Sherman's division you won't see the sharpshooter badge.

To check for SS either click on the counter (the SS will appear in the elements window) or put your mouse over the div symbol on the counter (a bde window will appear).

Return to “Civil War II”