ajarnlance
General of the Army

Question on experience gain from trainers...

Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:57 pm

Can someone explain how the experience gain shows up?? I have had Bragg stacked with a lot of units now and I am not seeing any 'stars' on the experience part of their unit info card. How many 'experience points does it take to gain one 'star'?? It says he gives one experience point a turn. Also is the benefit just to the troops in his division or is it for every unit in the entire army stack?

ancient seaman
Corporal

Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:22 pm

There are 2 types of training abilities,one of them will give every turn(?)some exp. points that will eventually give you stars.The other one will make 2 conscript element transform to regulars.Bragg is i beliave the 2nd type but i am not sure.

Ol' Choctaw

Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:07 pm

Brag is a master trainer, which means that he give all units 1 exp point per turn. It takes 10 exp points for the first star and the leader and units have to be stationary. If the troops are fighting they may get that much in a turn. It is best to use them on locked troops or groups of militia, if you can leave them alone for 5 months. Generally it is better to put them with a group and send them to the fight and if they happen to sit a turn they still gain some experience.

The other type of trainer is the training officer. The south currently has none of these. Only Cooper and he is only in the game for a few turns. The upgrade two regiments per turn to the next level. That is militia to conscripts, volunteers to regulars, or conscripts to regulars. There are no upgrades to elite.

I hope that covers the question.

RebelYell
General of the Army

Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:47 pm

Ol' Choctaw wrote:Brag is a master trainer, which means that he give all units 1 exp point per turn. It takes 10 exp points for the first star and the leader and units have to be stationary. If the troops are fighting they may get that much in a turn. It is best to use them on locked troops or groups of militia, if you can leave them alone for 5 months. Generally it is better to put them with a group and send them to the fight and if they happen to sit a turn they still gain some experience.

The other type of trainer is the training officer. The south currently has none of these. Only Cooper and he is only in the game for a few turns. The upgrade two regiments per turn to the next level. That is militia to conscripts, volunteers to regulars, or conscripts to regulars. There are no upgrades to elite.

I hope that covers the question.

Richard Taylor has it and he is often critical in doing that job.

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:19 am

Thanks for the info guys. What about HQ units?? One of their skills is training. Do they add experience points or do they upgrade units??

RebelYell
General of the Army

Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:16 pm

ajarnlance wrote:Thanks for the info guys. What about HQ units?? One of their skills is training. Do they add experience points or do they upgrade units??

They add experience, you can see what abilities do by mousing over for a tooltip.

KillCalvalry
Lieutenant

Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:41 pm

Good information here....

The training OFFICERS for Union are McClellen, Halleck, and Sigel....is that correct? Anyone else?

For Rebs, is there a training OFFICER later after Cooper, or is that it? He is handy in the short-term, can train 4 brigades of VA Volunteers

For training MASTERS, I see Hardee, Bragg for Rebs, and nobody so far for Union. Could be I haven't gotten that far.

Can anyone fill in the blanks?

(BTW, this skill makes Halleck actually quite useful in the game. He was actually useful IRL and good at his desk job, just not in the field, so I suppose that's a good representation)

RebelYell
General of the Army

Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:48 pm

KillCalvalry wrote:Good information here....

The training OFFICERS for Union are McClellen, Halleck, and Sigel....is that correct? Anyone else?

For Rebs, is there a training OFFICER later after Cooper, or is that it? He is handy in the short-term, can train 4 brigades of VA Volunteers

For training MASTERS, I see Hardee, Bragg for Rebs, and nobody so far for Union. Could be I haven't gotten that far.

(BTW, this skill makes Halleck actually quite useful in the game. He was actually useful IRL and good at his desk job, just not in the field, so I suppose that's a good representation)

Dont know about the Union but Richard Taylor for CSA is a training officer.
He is very important in training the volunteers and militias as new divisions in the West.

oberst_klink
Lieutenant

Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:48 pm

KillCalvalry wrote:Good information here....

Sykes has Training capabilities; Siegel I think the Militia Bonus, like Burnside. Need to check now...

Klink, Oberst
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
(Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius)

Don't forget to visit the Gefechtsstand!

Gen.DixonS.Miles
Captain

Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:59 pm

Rufus King I have found is a Training Master.
“In my opinion, Colonel Miles was a drunkard, a coward and a traitor, and if I had the power I would have had the United States buttons taken from his coat.”

Elble, Sigmund-Soldier with the 3rd U.S. Infantry

Elble, an officer on the frontier who knew Miles well

MarkCSA
Location: In a safe place, they couldn't hit an elephant at this distance

Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:11 pm

Can someone remind me how Militia turns into Conscripts under the new system again? They need a star for a 5% chance per turn or something like that?
Murphy's Law of Combat: 'The most dangerous thing on a battlefield? An officer with a map'

Ol' Choctaw

Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:53 pm

If I understand it correctly they need to earn a star.

But for militia a star is 50 XP. Once they have that they have a 7% chance to upgrade to conscripts.

So, unless you are very lucky, you are not going to see many of them upgrade without help.

I had some volunteer brigades in my last campaign that still had not upgraded in 64 and had been in quite a few battles.

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:37 pm

I find the discrepancy between slow natural training and training officer way excessive. Sure these are useful traits for officer, but that shouldn't mean that they act like factory lines delivering a division of fully trained infantry every three months out of militia (ie 12 regiments of infantry in 3 months. Add the artillery, an assorted extras, you have a division), while per the natural process, some militia actually used in fighting may take years to turn into infantry.

I mean come on, in 1861, basically all troops were militia, that is why you get very chaotic battles like first Manassas.

Training officer should only give some chance to train up to 2 militia regiments per turn.

And for me, any militia regiment that gains a star in battle, should become infantry after spending one turn without moving on a turn (ideally 2) or a depot. Would prevent the exploit of having tons of militia turning into infantry after a single battle with a band of partisan, but would for me be logic : If your militia reg actually gained a star from battle, it means that with some added training and rest, they are as good as early war infantry.

Michael T
Sergeant

Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:08 pm

Where does a player find all these probablities for these upgrades and such?

Ace

Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:49 pm

They (tranining drillers) do not train militias to regulars, they train conscripts to regulars. That is huge difference. Conscript inf is almost as good as regular.

Where does a player find all these probablities for these upgrades and such?

On forum from helpful forumites :)
Any way, as I understand, wiki is in the making.

Michael T
Sergeant

Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:08 pm

It would be very good if some people in know could list all the 'need to know' stuff about this game that does not appear in the manual. And to be honest the 'manual' is really nothing more than a brief guide. It is severely lacking in important info.

Return to “Civil War II”