Pocus

Sibley's Campaign, what's your opinion on it?

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:50 pm

Hi,

We would be interested to know your opinion on this campaign. Not as small as a battle scenario, but much smaller than the full cake. In a new area with a lot of chrome and ambiance too.

I'm sure you'll have remarks and improvements suggestions. Also, do you like playing regional decisions in this scenario?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Mirandasucre
Lieutenant

Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:17 pm

In fact, i only played a few hours and this is the scenario i choosed to play....it offers a lot of new things compared with AACW, and it's very fun.....i m surprised i didn t see anyone talk about this one....like this site : http://the-strategy-wargamer.tumblr.com/

Mirandasucre
Lieutenant

Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:28 pm

The most attractive scenario for me ...

Canon
Lieutenant

Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:52 pm

It's interesting and fun, reminds me of the WIA scenarios where you must make use of small forces and play the cat-and-mouse game with your opponent, where quite suddenly the hunter can become the hunted.

But I'm having an issue with an insane amount of replacements being made automatically. I am NOT playing with automated replacements, have not bought any replacements since turn one, so I can only assume there is a bug. Maybe some sort of script to give a few free replacements that keeps on firing?
Attachments
Replacements-Sibley.jpg

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:19 pm

agree, think the comparison to WiA is good, it has that feel to it.

It is fun against the AI, but it would be brilliant PBEM as it has that feel of trying to set and avoid traps
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

michaelincol
Corporal

Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:35 pm

I am playing it after doing tutorials. Smaller size than full war ones, yet regional, so it is giving me plenty of practice and learning on most of the full war needed mechanics and understanding. Better I think for me than a more contained scenario like Bull Run. Gives a larger bite size piece for someone new learning game so as to enjoy and yet not choke. Nice sweet spot between full war and known battles scenarios. Thanks for it!

Michael

Ace

Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:33 am

It is wonderful. You have division sized army in highly open terrain. Opens a sea of possibilities without being overwhelming at all. You can learn combat basics without the trouble of looking after economy. Ideal scenario for a newbie.

Thinking ahead, it would be ideal for veteran PBEM's as well, offering quick games for tournaments :)

oberst_klink
Lieutenant

Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:46 am

Ace wrote:It is wonderful. You have division sized army in highly open terrain. Opens a sea of possibilities without being overwhelming at all. You can learn combat basics without the trouble of looking after economy. Ideal scenario for a newbie.

Thinking ahead, it would be ideal for veteran PBEM's as well, offering quick games for tournaments :)

I second this notion, aye! Had a first look at it and it's quite different from the 'static' war in the East and the Indians, etc. also add some flavour to it. At first I was sceptical... Best way to pay the Sibley Campaign is, to listen to 'The Good, the Bad, the Ugly' in the background... 'Hey, Blondie! Isn't that Sentenza?'....

Klink, Oberst
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
(Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius)

Don't forget to visit the Gefechtsstand!

Highlandcharge

Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:15 am

The good the bad and the ugly is the best film in the world, the soundtrack is amazing :)

That's the soundtrack of choice for the this scenario, thanks for recommending it Klink :)

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:00 am

I think it's a good addition overall. It's certainly challenging, especially as the South which doesn't have a lot of forces to work with. The player has to try and do a lot with very little, so that's a nice challenge.

I like these smaller scenarios, but they will always be seen as a tasty appetizer before the main course. AGE is a good engine for large scope planning and strategy. As much as I'd like to see nice small scenarios, it would be a lie to say that those should be the focus.

Having said that, the AJE campaigns were for the most part much smaller and region/focused, but then again that was over a larger empire setting rather that just one continuous conflict over one country.

I'll always enjoy the grand campaigns more, and hope to see more of those released. Late war 2-theater campaigns were in the first game, and I hope they make an appearance sooner or later.

oberst_klink
Lieutenant

Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:56 pm

Highlandcharge wrote:The good the bad and the ugly is the best film in the world, the soundtrack is amazing :)

That's the soundtrack of choice for the this scenario, thanks for recommending it Klink :)

An alternative tune I suggest is this one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXt0Lm2-Q-I
Jerusalem Ridge - performed by a group called the Turkey Creek String Band; already added this one to the sound file :D

Klink, Oberst
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

(Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius)

Don't forget to visit the Gefechtsstand!

runnersan
Conscript

Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:53 pm

Great scenario and fun. It can help to learn basics :)

Btw. I had funny battle result in this scenario. I try to imagine this battle where i stormed enemy fortifications. Arty made devastating fire. Brave soldiers made breach in the wall, but unfortunately At least one of my regiments showed cowardiance in close combat. Enemy lost almost all of soldiers... But at the end of battle, when aid to confederate general started counting losses, he discovers that no one was hurt :)

The attachment 6lbm.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
6lbm.jpg

Pocus

Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:48 am

Your artillery did most of the work probably. :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Levis
Private

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:27 pm

I think the scenario is an excellent depiction of the war in the west and, as others have said, a good introduction to the larger game. It emphasizes the crucial nature of supply lines. Sibley's failure to take Fort Craig left him completely dependent on his supply train, and when that was destroyed at Glorieta Pass he had no option but to retreat. BTW, part of the battlefield at Glorieta is preserved in the Pecos National Historical Park, but is sadly neglected.

Bertram

Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:17 pm

Played at the union side. A nice scenario.

some points:
At the end I had a tremendous amount of money (1000+ dollars), and all units bought. Loads of replacements, though I did not buy any myself.
I noticed some forts, sometimes, get a garison when enemies arrived, some dont and surrender at once. (Lost Sumter to a 18pwr strong cavalry unit, had to storm other forts, but also got one "for free").
Bought all militia units (state militia and volunteers) only to notice later that they could not move out of the region they were build in. They don't show this (no lock), but when you try to move them you get a "this region can not be reached" message).
It hurts that you need to leave an infantry unit in Los Angelos to keep it on your side. The locked cavalry unit (and the 10 militia) I had there don't work. I realize this is the way it works in AGE games, but needing to keep the strongest unit of the game in a town as garrison, just to keep it on your side, is not nice :( .

I forgot: I also had about a hunderd .tmp files in my waste basket. Don't know why they go there after being displaced/discarded, but it is less than optimal in my opinion....

Return to “Civil War II”