Joe Wheeler
Corporal

Dumb question...

Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:01 pm

Couldn't find the answer so I had to ask. The leader and independent unit icons on the Map show three stripes, red, blue, and green. Just want to be sure what they stand for. I think I figured out the green is supply. What do these mean. Thanks.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:45 pm

Learn to give a good title.
To a dumb question there's usually a dumb answer.
Why not a "Meaning of icons stripes?" thread title? it would be more respectful of readers (and yourself too).
Respectful: Why a reader would open your thread? If so, you mean that who is willing to take the time to read your thread is an idiot for he would read an useless question. Too, not taking time to write a somewhat good title is not respectfull of other readers, whom you ask to take time to answer you.

I like helping, but please be respectful of yourself first.
Maybe you're not used to write on a (good) forum: Here are people willing to help, don't be shy.

- "Please, may I ask you one question?"
- "Yes, done. Goodbye." (or even -"No, and you already did bothering bastard.")
lol

Sorry I have not the game yet (and am not at home to try answering): so I can't answer well.

Ace

Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:34 pm

Red is hit points, and blue cohesion

Joe Wheeler
Corporal

Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:37 pm

ERISS wrote:Learn to give a good title.
To a dumb question there's usually a dumb answer.
Why not a "Meaning of icons stripes?" thread title? it would be more respectful of readers (and yourself too).
Respectful: Why a reader would open your thread? If so, you mean that who is willing to take the time to read your thread is an idiot for he would read an useless question. Too, not taking time to write a somewhat good title is not respectfull of other readers, whom you ask to take time to answer you.

I like helping, but please be respectful of yourself first.
Maybe you're not used to write on a (good) forum: Here are people willing to help, don't be shy.

- "Please, may I ask you one question?"
- "Yes, done. Goodbye." (or even -"No, and you already did bothering bastard.")
lol

Sorry I have not the game yet (and am not at home to try answering): so I can't answer well.

You have got to be kidding me.

Joe Wheeler
Corporal

Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:38 pm

Thanks ACE.

Leibst

Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:42 pm

There is something called Manual.... or tutorial.... :siffle: :evilgrin:
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

khbynum
Major

Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:55 pm

There's also something called common courtesy. The man asked a legitimate question. ERISS spends almost 200 words insulting him and then doesn't give him the answer! Ace gives him the answer in seven words. Which one better represents the way this forum should be?

michaelincol
Corporal

Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:33 pm

Part of the intent I think of ACW II was to reach a broader audience. This incarnation is a gem and it should attract alot of people that passed on the others or bought 'em and let 'em sit. I count myself as one of them as although I have bought alot of the AGEOD titles and really like the company and it's ethic and craft, I never really got past the initial obstacles to really learn and play them. ACW II is opening up for me. Big time. But I have some questions, too. And unlike my fellow who simply prefaced his question with a humble opening, I am holding them back and racking the manual for answers that may or may not be there. I will definitely be holding back now given the lecture on self-worth followed by the good old LITFM that does nothing for the new guy with a question and everything for the old timer's sense of position or something. Thanks for being helpful, Ace, maybe I will PM you a question if I get really stumped.

Michael

Mickey3D

Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:51 pm

michaelincol wrote: But I have some questions, too. And unlike my fellow who simply prefaced his question with a humble opening, I am holding them back and racking the manual for answers that may or may not be there. I will definitely be holding back now given the lecture on self-worth followed by the good old LITFM that does nothing for the new guy with a question and everything for the old timer's sense of position or something. Thanks for being helpful, Ace, maybe I will PM you a question if I get really stumped.

I'm part of the ACW community for a very long time and I can promise you there is plenty of helpful people ready to answer your question(s). So, please, don't mind to ask them in this forum.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:42 pm

khbynum wrote:There's also something called common courtesy. The man asked a legitimate question. ERISS spends almost 200 words insulting him and then doesn't give him the answer! Ace gives him the answer in seven words. Which one better represents the way this forum should be?

Both. I was mocking. J.Wheeler took it lightly, I was more serious.
A good thread starts with a specific title.
I at first felt insulted by the title: I want the right to decide wether his question is dumb or not. Nobody will decide for me. He can write it, but this starts bad. Imagine that I make a thread titled "I am a genius"... You will be okay?
And, even, if he tells the truth ('yes it's dumb'), then his thread is not to be written on this forum as he consciously write dumb things.
If it is not dumb, the title is wrong. A wrong title is bad.
And I don't talk about the informative value here...
Do you really want a forum with such titles of thread? Then we can remove the titles, they become useless.

Rafiki

Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:37 pm

What is this? I don't even....? :blink:

Since when do we chew out people at length on account of their thread's titles, especially when they haven't been active in our community for that long? :bonk:

Eriss, yes, you have a point that the thread title isn't very descriptive of what is being asked. Also, it is indeed a falsehood, seeing that the question is not dumb, but rather an entirely valid thing to wonder about and, by extension, to ask about.

BUT! There are good ways to give advice, and there are bad ways. I'm pegging this one under "bad", however good the intention was. Better ways could've been to put it in a PM or to simply answer hos question ("Yes, it is..." or "Sorry, I don't know the answer") followed by a comment à la "BTW, don't sell yourself short with a thread title like that; it's easier to answer your question if the thread title is more representative of what you're actually wondering about". Or something.

To start rounding things off; some personal comments
- Joe, I hope you're enjoying the game :) If there is anything you're wondering about, ask away, especially if it's something that will help you enjoy the game more. However "dumb" you think a question might be, rest assured that there at least 3 other players who are wondering about the same and who will appreciate you having asked the question so that they can benefit from the answers you get.
- Eriss, I both appreciate and even agree with your sentiment. I do however think you a wee bit too far overboard here... ;)
- Anyone who is forthcoming and helps people by illuminating various aspects of the game, thank you. (Looking at Ace, but also others here :thumbsup: )
- michaelincol, Mickey has a good point. Ask your questions "in the open"; it benefits everyone :)

I'm now going to close this thread, since the original question has been answered and I don't see any benefit from further discussion on this. If anyone has any comments or questions, feel free to PM me.

In conclusion, here is something that I consider to be as typical of these forums as this discussion has been; a picture of a platypus:

The attachment platypus.span.600.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
platypus.span.600.jpg
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Pocus

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:09 pm

can we eat it at least? It must have a purpose on Earth :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “Civil War II”