DrPostman

Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:01 am

Pocus wrote:There is a lot of polishing up, like the interface, many graphics, and several features also (historical options). We are also designing a brand new feature of interest also.

Any idea how much it will retail for? Ballpark is fine. I'm poor and I need to figure out how much to set
aside for it. I won't hold you to anything, just a good idea.

Have they started beta testing? If not is there a way to get in on that? Thanks!
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

gekkoguy82
Major

Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:49 pm

I really enjoyed the artwork from that Facebook post...is that a glimpse of what will be in-game?

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:25 am

I was looking forward to ACW 2 since its announcement, but now I'm REALLY looking forward to it. 2013 so far has been a horrible year for game releases... most of which I'm glad I didn't bother sinking my money into.

Pocus

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:20 pm

Yes for the arts, all units will be redone by this same artist.

DrPostman, I don't know what the price will be, probably 40$, but don't quote me on that, I'm not in charge of that. For beta testing, it will start soon and we will probably make a call in public, just don't miss it :) Right now we have an alpha tester group, but this is too late to enter it.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

DrPostman

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:39 pm

Pocus wrote:Yes for the arts, all units will be redone by this same artist.

DrPostman, I don't know what the price will be, probably 40$, but don't quote me on that, I'm not in charge of that. For beta testing, it will start soon and we will probably make a call in public, just don't miss it :) Right now we have an alpha tester group, but this is too late to enter it.

Thanks. I'll keep my eye out for the announcement. I assume it will be on this board and other places.

Mickey3D

Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:05 pm

Pocus wrote:The AI can now benefits from a lot more scripting options, including 'AI agents' help, so it should be better :)

Could you provide more details regarding these agents ? Is it scripts we could develop for specific game purposes or call to outside programs ?

Mickey3D

Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:11 pm

Metatron wrote:I hope we will not loose that old school map graphic style that made ACW, ROP, WIA and RUS so special for me. AJE like map graphics are easier to make I guess but doesn't have the same flair and style. Don't know if other people feel the same way.

+1

khbynum
Major

Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:35 pm

I also like the style of the current AACW map. However, may I respectfully suggest that you reduce the decorative borders around the edge of screen menus? The wood and iron borders, flags etc. just take up too much space. They are artistic and add the period ambiance of the game, but just obscure too much of what is important; the map.

DrPostman

Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:38 pm

khbynum wrote:I also like the style of the current AACW map. However, may I respectfully suggest that you reduce the decorative borders around the edge of screen menus? The wood and iron borders, flags etc. just take up too much space. They are artistic and add the period ambiance of the game, but just obscure too much of what is important; the map.

Or perhaps to allow the option to retract parts of the map that are unneeded or unwanted. Lots of games
do that where you can minimize various menus and info panels. I'd like to be able to have the option of
having all map on the screen, especially since the next map looks like it will be almost twice the size of
the current one.

Pocus

Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:28 pm

AI Agents are added by scripts but once done, they are more or less permanently hosted by a leader, to guide him, a bit like an advisor (or parasite hehe). This has a great potential and it used in BOR for some leaders.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Narwhal

Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:36 pm

Looking at the map, it would not need a lot for you to make it a "WiA" map as well. Just include Eastern Canada and that Island East of it and you can sell DLC for FIW, AWI, ...

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:26 am

khbynum wrote: reduce the decorative borders around the edge of screen menus?
obscure too much of what is important; the map.

Or a hotkey for: full interface / fullscreen map / minimized interface (just removing art)
It could help for AAR screenshots?

Mickey3D

Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:50 am

Pocus wrote:AI Agents are added by scripts but once done, they are more or less permanently hosted by a leader, to guide him, a bit like an advisor (or parasite hehe). This has a great potential and it used in BOR for some leaders.

If I understand well, agents are not something a player can develop ? There is a predefined list of them and, by script, you can link a leader with the agent of your choice ?

Pocus

Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:46 am

You can do that, but with a script, so a player can do that if he mods a bit...

Ace

Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:20 am

Pocus wrote:AI Agents are added by scripts but once done, they are more or less permanently hosted by a leader, to guide him, a bit like an advisor (or parasite hehe). This has a great potential and it used in BOR for some leaders.

What are AI agents?

Pocus

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:51 am

Technically, they are an entity in the memory which stays associated with the leader and will alter the missions the AI module will give to the leader. They won't prevent the AI module to propose all missions to a leader with an agent, but the missions the agent is scripted for will be much favored.

Practically, it means that if a leader has an agent that want him to stay in an area of operation, he will do that ... But the general AI module will still check for say 'resupply mission', which will come every turn more and more in force depending of supply shortage, to the point that at a given time it will take precedence over the Agent missions, and so your stack of units will seek a supply source, the best one, even outside the area of operation of the agent.

AndrewKurtz

Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:47 pm

Not sure which thread is being monitored for ideas. Here's one I just posted about abstracting river control.

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?14801-AACW2-wishlist&p=269955&viewfull=1#post269955

DrPostman

Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:35 pm

AndrewKurtz wrote:Not sure which thread is being monitored for ideas. Here's one I just posted about abstracting river control.

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?14801-AACW2-wishlist&p=269955&viewfull=1#post269955

I don't think it matters as much with just about everyone active on the board excited about version 2 coming
out by the end of Summer (if it's still on that schedule). Interesting idea you posted.

John S. Mosby
Lieutenant

Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:54 pm

My only input, (because Pocus knows what he's doing, he doesn't need any advice from me), is to take the time and polish the game before release. If it delays the release a few months that's okay. Don't let impatient players rush the release. Take your time and do it right. :thumbsup:

Captain_Orso

Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:12 pm

AndrewKurtz wrote:Not sure which thread is being monitored for ideas. Here's one I just posted about abstracting river control.

I can give you a tip on how to maintain control of long stretches of river as the Union[SUP]1)[/SUP] at the least cost in nerves[SUP]2)[/SUP]:
stack 2 gunboat squadrons (2 gunboat elements each) with 1 riverine transport squadron (4 elements--I have no experience with 2 element riverine transports) together into one patrol, then post them somewhere along a stretch of river you want to "control" in Defensive Posture. As long as their transports can draw supply along the river or from some local harbor your patrol-squadron will stay in business.

They may take some hits in winter from storms, but I've had the entire shippable Cumberland River plus much of the Tennessee and lower Ohio Rivers blocked throughout a summer and winter without having to pull a single patrol squadron off from weather damage or loss of cohesion.

As long as they are not sailing up and down the river from one river region to another, they will use relatively little supply and take little Wear-n-Tear™ and rarely lose cohesion.

[SUP]1)[/SUP] I'm not sure the parameters for CS patrols as they have their own supply capacity and might get by without having riverine transport in each patrol squadron, or maybe only interspersed every other patrol squadron. The CS usually doesn't have the gunboats to patrol more than selective parts of the river at selective times.

[SUP]2)[/SUP] I don't expect there to be any major changes in how patrolling/blocking-crossings work.

MarkCSA
Location: In a safe place, they couldn't hit an elephant at this distance

Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:54 pm

Pocus, I take it you will draw your beta-testers from your veteran Corps of AACW 1 beta-testers first?
Murphy's Law of Combat: 'The most dangerous thing on a battlefield? An officer with a map'

charlesonmission

Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:51 pm

Captian Orso, I thought the boats (4 non-transport elements) had to be offensive posture to have river interdiction.

Charles

Captain_Orso wrote:I can give you a tip on how to maintain control of long stretches of river as the Union[SUP]1)[/SUP] at the least cost in nerves[SUP]2)[/SUP]:
stack 2 gunboat squadrons (2 gunboat elements each) with 1 riverine transport squadron (4 elements--I have no experience with 2 element riverine transports) together into one patrol, then post them somewhere along a stretch of river you want to "control" in Defensive Posture. As long as their transports can draw supply along the river or from some local harbor your patrol-squadron will stay in business.

They may take some hits in winter from storms, but I've had the entire shippable Cumberland River plus much of the Tennessee and lower Ohio Rivers blocked throughout a summer and winter without having to pull a single patrol squadron off from weather damage or loss of cohesion.

As long as they are not sailing up and down the river from one river region to another, they will use relatively little supply and take little Wear-n-Tear™ and rarely lose cohesion.

[SUP]1)[/SUP] I'm not sure the parameters for CS patrols as they have their own supply capacity and might get by without having riverine transport in each patrol squadron, or maybe only interspersed every other patrol squadron. The CS usually doesn't have the gunboats to patrol more than selective parts of the river at selective times.

[SUP]2)[/SUP] I don't expect there to be any major changes in how patrolling/blocking-crossings work.

Ace

Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:42 am

Not any more, it was inconvenient to maintain the blockade due to cohesion loss when in offensive posture. Now every non transport element in non-passive posture has 23% chance to block movement across the river, with the maximum chance of interdiction being 92%. So 4 gunboats have 92% chance of river interdiction.

Orso, you are right, gunboat mechanics are fine the way they are now.

Pocus

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:40 am

Not only veterans of ACW1, we want to have newer people join, if they have good credentials. We will post in a few weeks a message to recruit beta testers, rest assured.

FENRIS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:24 am

hello !

It will be more realistic to change the mobilization mode for 1861 : no more total mobilization in the early months.

:wavey:
[color="#FF8C00"][/color]Eylau 1807

"Rendez-vous, général, votre témérité vous a emporté trop loin ; vous êtes dans nos dernières lignes." (un russe)

" Regardez un peu ces figures-là si elles veulent se rendre !" (Lepic)[color="#FF8C00"][/color][I]
[/I]

marecone

Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:40 am

FENRIS wrote:hello !

It will be more realistic to change the mobilization mode for 1861 : no more total mobilization in the early months.

Agree. Hated when Athena used every chance she got to mobilaze or draft.
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

He remarked, "I ended the war a horse ahead."

Ace

Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:35 pm

FENRIS wrote:hello !

Agreed.

And mobilization laws could be tied to engagement points cost.

And if mobilization is restricted, ws production should be reduced. In current game, if players agree not to mobilize, they have unusual high amount of ws, that's highly unrealistic.

Jerzul
Captain

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:56 pm

Maybe I'm the only one but I'd like to see a brigade builder option. Where you could select which elements to put into a brigade when you create it instead of only having the pre defined options. For example, you could build individual regiments or elements, our select multiple elements and build a custom brigade instead.

Any chance for something like this?
I have heard, in such a way as to believe it, of your recently saying that both the army and the government needed a dictator. Of course it was not for this, but in spite of it, that I have given you the command. Only those generals who gain success can be dictators. What I now ask of you is military success, and I will risk the dictatorship.

-Abraham Lincoln, 1863, in a letter to Major General Joseph Hooker.

MarkCSA
Location: In a safe place, they couldn't hit an elephant at this distance

Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:32 am

Pocus wrote:Not only veterans of ACW1, we want to have newer people join, if they have good credentials. We will post in a few weeks a message to recruit beta testers, rest assured.

I was just trying to 'jump the queue' for beta-testers :)

Regarding what people are saying here about mobilization, yes, please. Disable early mass mobilization or stick severe penalties (NM and loyalty hits, escalating draft riots etc.) on it.
Murphy's Law of Combat: 'The most dangerous thing on a battlefield? An officer with a map'

Pocus

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:19 pm

@Jerzul: Honestly, no this won't be a feature. Too complex and against our will to on the contrary streamline the game.

About historical options like Draft, they will be all revised, the engine can do much more things now and is more versatile on that!

Return to “Civil War II”