Buschenfeld
Conscript

New to ACW2 - love it but need help!

Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:10 pm

Hi all - I love the game and I think the support you give to new kids like me asking thick questions is great.

Im totally new to the game and Im trying to get a handle on the army / corps / divisions deal.

I have started my first game (5/8 Bull Run) playing as the Union.

I have the Army of the Patomac sat with 5 weak divisions all incurring a penalty. I cant work out how to make them effectively organized.

Ive been trying to move Hamilton out of the Patomac Army and form a corps with him but it wont let me.

Does anyone know where Im going wrong???

Thanks in advance.

Canon
Lieutenant

Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:34 pm

Buschenfeld wrote:Hi all - I love the game and I think the support you give to new kids like me asking thick questions is great.

Im totally new to the game and Im trying to get a handle on the army / corps / divisions deal.

I have started my first game (5/8 Bull Run) playing as the Union.

I have the Army of the Patomac sat with 5 weak divisions all incurring a penalty. I cant work out how to make them effectively organized.

Ive been trying to move Hamilton out of the Patomac Army and form a corps with him but it wont let me.

Does anyone know where Im going wrong???

Thanks in advance.

In the early game, there is very little you can do to create an efficient fighting force, as both Division and Corps formation are disabled. In the main campaigns their events eventually fire, but since your playing Bull Run this will never occur. The reason for this is to represent the historical situation, as most units were organized into Brigades at the most. As such, what I (and I assume most people) do is form just one Army stack, sticking all 5 divisions under McDowell and try and bludgeon your way through. The early game for the Union is tough, as you have worthless commanders against some of the South's best, so good luck!

Pocus

Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:21 am

Also before doing a campaign, you should probably try Shiloh then Sibley, to get a better grasp of the ebb and flow of the game system.

Welcome aboard :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Buschenfeld
Conscript

Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:01 pm

Thanks chaps - Tried Shiloh but keep getting weird message about an AI player hasn't submitted any orders, revert to AL and then I can either hit yes or no. Odd

Highlandcharge

Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:00 pm

Just a thought, have you made sure that the AI is on in the options?

Buschenfeld
Conscript

Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:38 pm

Highlandcharge wrote:Just a thought, have you made sure that the AI is on in the options?

Good point - Ill check

Return to “Civil War II”