bjfagan
General of the Army

*Diplomacy, News Reports and Announcements

Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:47 pm

Creating a new folder for the PON PBEM game started in January 2016.

Vezina
Lieutenant

Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:05 am

Official Statement from the Foreign Ministry of the Second Republic of France

While we understand the initial silence in the beginning of a new era of colonialism, we would like to state our concern over several countries sending out colonial ventures in areas of Africa with no regard to those who might be slighted by this. France would ask that those with colonial ambitions at least negotiate with the other powers of Europe before any toes are stepped upon so that there are no misunderstandings that could disrupt the delicate balance of power that the continent has enjoyed for decades.

De_Spinoza
Lieutenant

Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:11 pm

Statement of the Austrian Empire on colonialism
We fully agree with the French sentiment. To prevent misunderstandings and worse, it is imperative that all nations are clear about the scope of their colonial ambitions. These ambitions will in some cases conflict, and by being clear about them now the chance of diplomatic crises and even armed conflict will be significantly reduced. The Austrian Empire will not take part in any colonial ventures in Africa, and we are willing to use our neutral position to mediate in establishing 'colonial zones' or when conflicts do appear, should this be requested of us.
Fiat iustitia Image Pereat mundus

lukasberger
AGEod Veteran

Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:38 am

The Prussian Foreign Ministry would like to apologize for not yet having made contact with several nations due the press of recent events and also being unable to reply in detail to some discussion that have already been initiated. We will be making every effort to contact every nation within the next week or two so as to discuss the world situation and any matters of concern to you and to us.

Field Marshal Hotzendorf
Captain

Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:38 pm

The Kingdom of The Netherlands condemns the colonial actions taken by The United States of America in Dutch Indonesia. The U.S.A has never had influence in this region and they face a Dutch response if they chose to continue. Supply rights granted to the United States will be cancelled if we do not see a decrease in U.S. presence in the region. I call on the World community, especially the great powers to put pressure on the United States to stop all action in Dutch Indonesia by The United States of America. Thank you.

- King William III of The Kingdom of The Netherlands

De_Spinoza
Lieutenant

Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:12 pm

Field Marshal Hotzendorf wrote:The Kingdom of The Netherlands condemns the colonial actions taken by The United States of America in Dutch Indonesia. The U.S.A has never had influence in this region and they face a Dutch response if they chose to continue. Supply rights granted to the United States will be cancelled if we do not see a decrease in U.S. presence in the region. I call on the World community, especially the great powers to put pressure on the United States to stop all action in Dutch Indonesia by The United States of America. Thank you.

The Austrian Empire considers incursions by the United States of America into those colonial lands already clearly under Dutch influence, meaning the islands of Java, Sumatra, and much of the archipelago surrounding it, to be part of a dangerous colonial campaign. This can only have a destabilizing influence on the region. We urge the U.S.A., like all other nations, to first discuss any plans for the establishment of a colonial presence in any region, should these potentially conflict with the colonial ambitions of another nation.

steelwarrior77
Colonel

Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:13 am

I agree - the U.S. in general seems to colonize outside its historical borders quite aggressively (being aware of its future strength and on cost of smaller powers) and also Belguim calls a halt to it.

lukasberger
AGEod Veteran

Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:19 am

The Kingdom of Prussia has been advised by the Belgian Foreign Ministry that Belgium has entered into an alliance with France.

We point out to the Concert of Europe that this constitutes a clear violation and repudiation of the Treaty of London on the part of Belgium. Thus, under international law, it would seem clear that the Treaty of London is null and void and that Belgium has relinquished any claims to protection as a neutral party under the terms of the treaty.

We wish to clarify that the Empire of Prussia has no plans whatsoever to violate Belgian sovereignty either now or in the future, even in spite of these shocking and perhaps potentially aggressive actions on the part of Belgium.

We are however, concerned that Belgium has so quickly cast off the very guarantees that allowed for its formation as an independent nation and declared itself a partisan power. This seems to us to be both bad form and indeed a blatant attempt to destabilize the peaceful relations and the precarious balance of the European powers as currently exist.

We call on Belgium to explain its actions in so hastily repudiating the treaty that they signed only 11 years ago in exchange for their freedom from the Netherlands and also call on all of the major European Powers to clarify their assessment of the situation and of the actions of Belgium.

steelwarrior77
Colonel

Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:48 am

Belgium was seeking the protection of a major European nation and has not signed anything yet, but plans to cooperate with France, to secure its further independence and have a strong partner for colonial negotiations ;-D Thats all - we do not seek to invade Prussia also and have only strengthened our defensive position, if any of our neighbours would plan aggressive moves...as a small nation with no European ambitions we seek support in our colonial ventures mostly, so we can undisturbed from Great Powers, have our fair share of the world ;-D
History teaches that being neutral does not offer any real protection for a small nation like Belgium...
To tell that I have no protection from invasions anymore does rather sound aggressive from Prussia.

lukasberger
AGEod Veteran

Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:57 am

steelwarrior77 wrote:Belgium was seeking the protection of a major European nation and has not signed anything yet, but plans to cooperate with France, to secure its further independence and have a strong partner for colonial negotiations ;-D Thats all - we do not seek to invade Prussia also and have only strengthened our defensive position, if any of our neighbors would play aggressive moves...

You seem not to understand the situation. Belgium only exists as an independent nation due to its status as a signatory of the Treaty of London, which establishes Belgium as a neutral power in exchange for its independence. Thus, any action on your part to change the status quo, or to seek the protection and cooperation of any major nation is a clear repudiation of the Treaty and indeed of Belgium's charter, and right to exist. Again, Prussia will not attack you, even in spite of your blatant violation of international law, but we demand a full and proper explanation as to why you've chosen to violate the very treaty that establishes your existence.

Belgium had the protection of ALL major European nations under the treaty of London. You've seen fit to tear the treaty up in favor of protection from one nation only, France. So again, you've both proved false to your word, and sought the protection of one nation over the protection of ALL nations. This seems impossible to explain from any rational standpoint. We cannot see any but a malevolent intent here, given that you've voluntarily surrendered the support of every single major power that was a signatory to the Treaty of London in one action.

steelwarrior77
Colonel

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:03 am

I explained already, beside from a reliable protection of my homeland (again history in RL) it offers me a protection against violation of my colonial ventures - as easy as that - anything else is rather absurd or does Prussia have a fear of Belgium conquering Europe ;-P My colonial interests were already met with aggressiveness and disrespect in this short time. The treaty of France and Belgium is of defensive nature but much more reliable than a therotical one from all majors...that Prussia protests this so loudy is rather suspecious - as neithe France nor Belgium are aggressively seeking expansion in Europe nor will in future.

lukasberger
AGEod Veteran

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:07 am

steelwarrior77 wrote:I explained already, beside from a reliable protection of my homeland (again history in RL) it offers me a protection against violation of my colonial ventures - as easy as that - anything else is rather absurd or does Prussia have a fear of Belgium conquering Europe ;-P My colonial interests were already met with aggressiveness and disrespect in this short time.

No, Prussia has a fear that Belgium has no respect or regard for international law, for treaties, or for their word of honor.

If you have colonial interests, they can be negotiated and discussed without your voluntarily dishonoring the very treaties that allowed you to exist in the first place.

If you cannot respect the treaties that allow for your very existence, why would Prussia, or any nation at all, expect you to honor any treaties you agree to in regard to colonial spheres of influence?

steelwarrior77
Colonel

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:16 am

I did not agree in any treaty that I would have broken;-D And the rest showed already as I did retreat from possible colonial possesions that others pursued aggressively (also Prussia). Only time will show who keeps word and is aggressive or not - quite entertaining our little dispute here though. Why would big Prussia feel threatened by small Belgium, if it does not plan to expand aggressively on cost of my alliance though?

lukasberger
AGEod Veteran

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:19 am

steelwarrior77 wrote:I did not agree in any treaty that I would have broken;-D

And what is your view of the Treaty of London? Why would you say Belgium even exists as an independent nation and not simply as a province of the Kingdom of the Netherlands?

steelwarrior77
Colonel

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:21 am

No treaty of London gave me any defensive treaty with any major - in Europe or guarantees of any kind (in game) - simple as that. I cannot look into the past, if my future is threatened...the aggressive U.S. colonial campaign shows clearly how much minor countries are respected without a bigger alliance backing them up - why do you not protest to the U.S. instead of blaming little Belgium of absurd things?

lukasberger
AGEod Veteran

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:24 am

steelwarrior77 wrote:No treaty of London gave me any defensive treaty with any major - in Europe or guarantees of any kind (in game) - simple as that. I cannot look into the past, if my future is threatened...

It does though, it gives you a defensive treaty with every single European nation that's a signatory. Look up the terms. That's Great Britain, Austria, France, the German Confederation (led by Prussia), Russia, and the Netherlands. You've thrown that away for simply a treaty with France, which you already had according to the terms of the treaty.

That's not even irrational, it's delusional to the highest degree as well as being blatantly partisan and a clear violation of international law.

steelwarrior77
Colonel

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:34 am

Again - did not show ingame and you never answered why you feel so threatened - making you even more suspicious ;-P And it did not help me in being respected in my colonial interests ;-D I know the treaty of London in RL - but ingame where did it show - no treaty at all...as things get repetitive I will close my part of the discussion with my answer here.

lukasberger
AGEod Veteran

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:43 am

steelwarrior77 wrote:Again - did not show ingame and you never answered why you feel so threatened - making you even more suspecious ;-P And it did not help me in being respected in my colonial interests ;-D I know the treaty of London in RL - but ingame where did it show - no treaty at all...

I'll respond OOC here: It may not show in game, but it's no less valid out of game for that. We'd certainly script any needed dow in regard to the treaty. As to why I'm suspicious, just look at my prior posts. You had a defensive treaty with Prussia already according to the treaty. You had a defensive treaty with all the major European powers according to the treaty. Why you'd abandon that without malicious intention I just don't know, but I can't imagine it's good.

I'll agree it's possible you didn't fully understand the ramifications of the Treaty of London as applied to our game. If so, I'm more than willing to call a "no harm no foul" situation here and allow you to return to Belgium's natural neutral status without any repercussions.

As I stated in character, there's no aggressive intent from Prussia here at all, we simply wish to A. respect international law, and B. avoid a situation where a war breaks out unnecessarily, due to a misunderstanding and C. Protect our sovereignty.

Prussia has nothing but respect for Belgium and we're more than willing to discuss colonial ambitions or anything else as friends, so long as Belgium continues to honor the Treaty of London, and any other commitments she may have made, as Prussia will always do themselves.

steelwarrior77
Colonel

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:50 am

lukasberger wrote:I'll respond OOC here: It may not show in game, but it's no less valid out of game for that. We'd certainly script any needed dow in regard to the treaty. As to why I'm suspicious, just look at my prior posts. You had a defensive treaty with Prussia already according to the treaty. You had a defensive treaty with all the major European powers according to the treaty. Why you'd abandon that without malicious intention I just don't know, but I can't imagine it's good.

I'll agree it's possible you didn't fully understand the ramifications of the Treaty of London as applied to our game. If so, I'm more than willing to call a "no harm no foul" situation here and allow you to return to Belgium's natural neutral status without any repercussions.

As I stated in character, there's no aggressive intent from Prussia here at all, we simply wish to A. respect international law, and B. avoid a situation where a war breaks out unnecessarily, due to a misunderstanding.

Prussia has nothing but respect for Belgium and we're more than willing to discuss colonial ambitions or anything else as friends, so long as Belgium continues to honor the Treaty of London, and any other commitments she may have made, as Prussia will always do themselves.

Exactly because I keep my word I will not step back from my alliance - I explained above why - you just ignore it - obviously not everyone respects out of the game treaties and small countries - especially their colonial interests (I had to retreat my merchants already 4 times) - so I still believe it was smart to do what I did - which war is supposed to break out? - sounds like a threat to me - good France will back me up...yes there is no malicious non absurd scenario - so all that blaming is absurd...the treaty will help with defense - if there is no attack there will be no threat to anyone and an aggressive state should be threatened to attack Belgium - I need reliability...

Every country can show its realibility now by supporting my good friends from the Netherland with their righteous claims on Asian colonies...and show how much small countries are respected!

lukasberger
AGEod Veteran

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 am

steelwarrior77 wrote:I need reliability...

Under the Treaty of London, you have reliability FROM EVERY SINGLE MAJOR EUROPEAN POWER!

Why do you think a treaty with only one power provides you with with more reliability than a treaty with 6 powers? Especially when to get that one treaty, you have to tear up the treaty with every one of the other five powers?

You can bet that every single player here will respect such a historical cornerstone as the Treaty of London, provided you don't disrespect it first, which is what you seem intent on doing. Even if Prussia or any other single nation wouldn't do so, the Concert of Europe (other major powers) would assuredly demand they do so, or face the most dire consequences.

Again, we'll simply ask why? Why do you prefer the support of one nation as opposed to the support of six nations unless you have a malicious intent toward the other five nations you've just slapped in the face?

steelwarrior77
Colonel

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:18 am

By just receiving the same answers to half of my posts and getting ingnored for the other half - I will end this discussion - regarding U.S. Belgium retreated its trade fleet from the NA trade box as we do not support the way minors are treated - again we call all the other countries to support the Netherlands. Thanks to A-H to have done it. We will also cancel our commercial agreement with Prussia ASAP as we have grown tired of being accused for securing our future...we remark we still like LukasBerger outside the game a lot - thanks for organizing it - but ingame - let the games begin and tensions rise, if necessary ;-D

lukasberger
AGEod Veteran

Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:36 am

steelwarrior77 wrote:By just receiving the same answers to half of my posts and getting ingnored for the other half - I will end this discussion - regarding U.S. Belgium retreated its trade fleet from the NA trade box as we do not support the way minors are treated - again we call all the other countries to support the Netherlands. Thanks to A-H to have done it. We will also cancel our commercial greement with Prussia ASAP as we have grown tired of being accused for securing our future...we remark we still like LukasBerger outside the game - thanks for organizing it - but ingame - let the games begin ;-D

At his point it seems that we're nowhere. We'll await, and will voluntarily pledge to abide by, the verdict of the Council of Europe, but as far as Prussia is concerned, we can clearly see what the value of the word of the Belgian government is worth.

We'll repeat that we will not be the first to throw a stone here as we value peace above all, and that we will continue to honor the Treaty of London, which we signed in good faith as well as any decision by the Council of Europe, and we will not initiate any hostile action, in spite of the fact that it seems apparent to us that Belgium voluntarily repudiates all of its treaties and places itself in a position of opposition to each and every one of of the signatories of the Treaty of London.

De_Spinoza
Lieutenant

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:10 pm

Statement from the Austrian Empire on the breach of the Treaty of London by France and Belgium
The Austrian Empire is shocked by both France's and Belgium's actions in creating this treaty. The consequences, however, are more serious for Belgium than for France. Although the latter nation breached a treaty, it did not jeopardize their national security and territorial integrity. Belgium did just that. This nation was allowed to be formed on the condition that it would be a neutral northern buffer-state to France. By breaching the Treaty of London, France has lost much of our respect and trust, while Belgium has lost that and any claim to protection they can make on any Great Power except - for the moment - France, in the event they see their territories or colonies under threat.

Our Emperor has, however, in his unlimited benevolence, stated that he is willing to accept these events as a regretful mistake by junior diplomatic staff if the alliance between France and Belgium is cancelled before the end of June. If this does not happen, we fear that our relations, as well as trade interests, with both nations will suffer greatly for a long time to come.

OOC: The Treaty of London, in particular its clause on guarding Belgian neutrality and Germany's violation of that, was used by the British as a legitimation for joining the First World War against Germany still in 1914; as we are trying to approach the diplomacy and circumstances of this period as accurately as possible Belgium's violation of this treaty should, in my mind, also be allowed to have in game consequences.

coolbean
Major

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:56 pm

Field Marshal Hotzendorf wrote:The Kingdom of The Netherlands condemns the colonial actions taken by The United States of America in Dutch Indonesia. The U.S.A has never had influence in this region and they face a Dutch response if they chose to continue. Supply rights granted to the United States will be cancelled if we do not see a decrease in U.S. presence in the region. I call on the World community, especially the great powers to put pressure on the United States to stop all action in Dutch Indonesia by The United States of America. Thank you.

Diplomatic Release from the United States of America

We apologize for any confusion. Further colonial activity in Dutch Indonesia will be halted. To explain our previous actions: our businessmen were trying to establish trading posts with the native population in order to secure some shipments of precious dye and other exotic natural resources, NOT to pry Sumatra from Dutch influence. We apologize for not establishing contact with the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Department of State,
United States of America

OOC: When we started the game, there was no Dutch player. Sorry for the confusion.

steelwarrior77
Colonel

Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:05 pm

De_Spinoza wrote:Statement from the Austrian Empire on the breach of the Treaty of London by France and Belgium
The Austrian Empire is shocked by both France's and Belgium's actions in creating this treaty. The consequences, however, are more serious for Belgium than for France. Although the latter nation breached a treaty, it did not jeopardize their national security and territorial integrity. Belgium did just that. This nation was allowed to be formed on the condition that it would be a neutral northern buffer-state to France. By breaching the Treaty of London, France has lost much of our respect and trust, while Belgium has lost that and any claim to protection they can make on any Great Power except - for the moment - France, in the event they see their territories or colonies under threat.

Our Emperor has, however, in his unlimited benevolence, stated that he is willing to accept these events as a regretful mistake by junior diplomatic staff if the alliance between France and Belgium is cancelled before the end of June. If this does not happen, we fear that our relations, as well as trade interests, with both nations will suffer greatly for a long time to come.

OOC: The Treaty of London, in particular its clause on guarding Belgian neutrality and Germany's violation of that, was used by the British as a legitimation for joining the First World War against Germany still in 1914; as we are trying to approach the diplomacy and circumstances of this period as accurately as possible Belgium's violation of this treaty should, in my mind, also be allowed to have in game consequences.

And guess who violated that treaty as alliance partners A-H and Germany - the same nations who want to make a defensive treaty between France and Belgium now a scandal - first invaded Belgium to then invade France - is that threatened by an early treaty of them? Sorry, but again very suspicious ;-D

steelwarrior77
Colonel

Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:06 pm

coolbean wrote:Diplomatic Release from the United States of America

We apologize for any confusion. Further colonial activity in Dutch Indonesia will be halted. To explain our previous actions: our businessmen were trying to establish trading posts with the native population in order to secure some shipments of precious dye and other exotic natural resources, NOT to pry Sumatra from Dutch influence. We apologize for not establishing contact with the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Department of State,
United States of America

OOC: When we started the game, there was no Dutch player. Sorry for the confusion.

We appreciate this developement a lot and hope for a good understanding between minors and the U.S. in future ;-D

lukasberger
AGEod Veteran

Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:06 pm

steelwarrior77 wrote:Why would big Prussia feel threatened by small Belgium, if it does not plan to expand aggressively on cost of my alliance though?

To address this, as it was overlooked during the previous discussions: Prussia does not feel threatened by Belgium.

We do however, feel threatened by France, given the facts of recent history (the Napoleonic Wars) although we are currently engaged in discussions of the utmost cordiality with France. So while Belgium is not a threat in and of itself, Belgium choosing to so ally itself with France in such a partisan manner is seen in Berlin as a threat to the very existence of Prussia.

As we have already stated, Belgium already enjoyed the benefit of a defensive alliance with France but also with Prussia and with every other major nation. To voluntarily sacrifice that is tantamount to declaring aggressive intent. If Belgium's actions were defensive in nature, she would have accepted and cultivated the status quo, which makes her inviolate to any thinking, honorable nation. To choose to cast that aside can only be interpreted as a clear statement of aggression and of naked ambition on the part of Belgium.

lukasberger
AGEod Veteran

Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:10 pm

steelwarrior77 wrote:And guess who violated that treaty as alliance partners A-H and Germany - the same nations who want to make a defensive treaty between France and Belgium now a scandal - first invaded Belgium to then invade France - is that threatened by an early treaty of them? Sorry, but again very suspicious ;-D

I'm OOC here, but don't make the mistake of mixing up historical actions with in-game actions by players.

That Germany and Austria violated the treaty irl (nearly 70 years after this time period!) has literally nothing to do with our in-game situation. If you review the substance of our private discussions, you'll see that I've bent over backwards to indicate that my intent is to play Germany as a peaceful, honorable nation, that intends to keep the peace and seek good relations wherever humanly possible, not aggressively. Much more like a historical GB than a historical Germany.

I'm taking the actions I am in character because I'm trying to role-play here, and in reality it would truly have been seen by any nation, much less one threatened as Prussia now is with a partisan Belgium in alliance with France, as a shocking and scandalous thing for Belgium to so quickly and lightly breach the treaty of London. In fact this action on Belgium's part provides the Kingdom of the Netherlands with an immediate casus-belli both in game and irl.

It's also an action, as I've explained in-character, that literally has no benefits to Belgium and in fact is greatly detrimental to her unless she is planning aggressive action against one of the signatories of the treaty, which circumstances seem to make clear is Germany in this case.

As stated in character, I'm willing to chalk this up to a case of a new player not understanding the historical ratifications of the treaty and deescalate, if that's the case.

Field Marshal Hotzendorf
Captain

Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:12 pm

coolbean wrote:Diplomatic Release from the United States of America

Department of State,
United States of America

The Netherlands fully accepts the apology of The United States of America and also fully understands the situation now. The Dutch people are very happy that this situation is resolved and looks forward to better relations with The U.S.A in the future.

- King William III

steelwarrior77
Colonel

Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:18 pm

lukasberger wrote:I'm OOC here, but don't make the mistake of mixing up historical actions with in-game actions by players.

That Germany and Austria violated the treaty irl has literally nothing to do with our in-game situation. If you review the substance of our private discussions, you'll see that I've bent over backwards to indicate that my intent is to play Germany as a peaceful, honorable nation, that intends to keep the peace and seek good relations wherver humanly possible, not aggressively. Much more like a historical GB than a historical Germany.

As do I - so the treaty of London has no place in game but IRL and I plan to be honorable and peaceful as well - but need a in game backup and that is where we discuss in circles - if you blame France of ill intentions (and there is no reason to do that) a small country like Belgium would hardly make a difference against a CP alliance. So again whats the point - you quote RL to blame me and France but do not want to see RL history how neutrality played out for Belgium. Thats propaganda - that I will keep on ignoring. In game my colonial interests were not respected - which should change now. And if the CPs do not have aggressive expansionist intentions, then neither me nor France are a threat, as we do not plan to attack the CPs either - Belgium in general does plan a colonial game not a European expansion.

Return to “PON Conflict in Europe - Redux”