Siegfroh
Major

1850: The War on Holstein and Hannover

Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:43 pm

Prussia 1850. The Nation is content, our economy is nearly self-sufficient, the army starts getting a bit rusty. Out of we start a colonial adventure near Sansibar.

In this period of peace, all our mobile troops are gathering in Berlin for a complete re-organisation of our armies, when suddenly the news arrive that Holstein and Hannover both threaten us with war, because we possess Hamburg and they do not.

It is getting worse: In February Hannover commits a provocation which cannot remain unanswered:

[ATTACH]33918[/ATTACH]

In retaliation, we declare war on Hannover, and - by a misunderstanding of our minister of foreign affairs, bugger ! - on Holstein as well. Tough luck. Holstein doesn't have a standing army. And the tiny Hannoverian army is no match to the superior numbers of our four armies.

As we don't know how Denmark will react, we send two armies to occupy Holstein, and the other two to finish off Hanoverian forces:

[ATTACH]33919[/ATTACH]
Attachments
1850-03 - Feldzug gegen Hannover und Holstein - Plan.jpg
1850-02 - Hannover provoziert.jpg

Siegfroh
Major

Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:54 pm

In March 1850, Kiel falls:

[ATTACH]33920[/ATTACH]

and in April, Fredericia:

[ATTACH]33921[/ATTACH]

Th first two battles against the Hanoverian army break its back:

[ATTACH]33922[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33923[/ATTACH]

In July, the remnants of the Hanoverian army are all what remains of their glory. Hannover, Bremen and Emden are occupied, and their king weeps in exile:

[ATTACH]33924[/ATTACH]
Attachments
1850-07 - Feldzug gegen Hannover und Holstein - die Schlinge zieht sich zu.jpg
1850-04 - Feldzug gegen Hannover und Holstein - Sieg bei Bremen.jpg
1850-04 - Feldzug gegen Hannover und Holstein - Sieg bei Hannover.jpg
1850-04 - Feldzug gegen Hannover und Holstein - Fredericia erobert.jpg
1850-03 - Feldzug gegen Hannover und Holstein - Kiel erobert.jpg

Siegfroh
Major

Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:08 pm

However, due to the inexplainable inactivity of two of our army commanders, the Hanoverian corps manages to escape to Mecklenbur, Pommern and Westpreußen. Reduced in force, it is difficult to hunt down.

It takes until November to finally defeat them:

[ATTACH]33925[/ATTACH]

The survivers of this last combat surrender to us. Hannover is no more, and they offer to join Prussian services. We form a Hannoversche Legion from them:

[ATTACH]33926[/ATTACH]
Attachments
1850-12 - Feldzug gegen Hannover und Holstein - Hannoversche Legion.jpg
1850-11 - Feldzug gegen Hannover und Holstein - Sieg bei Rostock.jpg

Siegfroh
Major

Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:19 pm

While the Hanoverian territory remained unoccupied, due to the neglect of our ructious generals, agents of the Hanoverian king prepared an uprising. It took place in November:

[ATTACH]33927[/ATTACH]

However it was quickly put down, within a month:

[ATTACH]33928[/ATTACH]

The last insurrectionists lost their case in December, near Bremen:

[ATTACH]33929[/ATTACH]
Attachments
1850-12 - Feldzug gegen Hannover und Holstein - Sieg bei Bremen - Hannoveraner Truppen vernichte.jpg
1850-11 - Feldzug gegen Hannover und Holstein - Revolte in Hannover fast völlig niedergesch.jpg
1850-11 - Feldzug gegen Hannover und Holstein - Revolte in Hannover.jpg

Siegfroh
Major

Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:21 pm

On of the many heroes of this campaign was General von Pfuel:

[ATTACH]33930[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33931[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33932[/ATTACH]
Attachments
1850-12 - Feldzug gegen Hannover und Holstein - Beförderung Pfuels.jpg
1850-07 - Feldzug gegen Hannover und Holstein - Beförderung Pfuels.jpg
1850-06 - Feldzug gegen Hannover und Holstein - Beförderung Pfuels.jpg

Siegfroh
Major

Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:45 pm

So within a year, I have added to Prussia the five territories which made up Holstein and Hannover. Their population is regarded as Prussian population (however, in spite of my German unification cards, still with some foreign loyalties). All their industries are working for me and are fully integrated in the Prussian economy.

But I am still at war with these two states, or at least their exiled governments.

Per round, through my occuopation, I gain 5 war score points. If I want to annex their territories, I will have to wait for some time.

Here the case of Holstein: I need a war score of 346 for both provinces. I have got 113, so I need another 233, which I will have accumulated in 47 rounds or in two years:

[ATTACH]33933[/ATTACH]

For annexing all the three provinces of Hannover, I need an added war score of 620. Of these, 98 I have already got, and the remaining 522 will take 105 rounds or roughly four years.

If I make peace and annex only one province, I lose the income from those provinces I am giving back. And I would have to deal with these two states again in the future.
Attachments
1851-01 - Feldzug gegen Hannover und Holstein - kein Frieden mit Holstein.jpg

Siegfroh
Major

Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:48 pm

As Prussia has a not too bad state revenue, I can afford to push a very promising research. In the end, there will be 26 new units in my force pool:

[ATTACH]33934[/ATTACH]
Attachments
1851-01 - Research - Muzzle Loaded Rifles.jpg

Siegfroh
Major

Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:15 pm

My African adventure. I selected Daressalam. January 1850:

[ATTACH]33935[/ATTACH]

Unfortunately, my natural and anthropological expeditions (and later the geographical ones and my explorers) die like flies. None of their missions was completed.

I had to construct a transport ship, and the troops to get military control. It seemss, the colonial brigades are just normal line infantry, only with a different uniform ?

[ATTACH]33936[/ATTACH]

In August 1850, my colonial corps landed:

[ATTACH]33937[/ATTACH]

To make sure I could cope with any resistance by natives, I had the corps re-enforced with more troops. Here the situation in January 1851:

[ATTACH]33938[/ATTACH]
Attachments
1851-01 - Colonies - Daressalam - Besatzungstruppen.jpg
1850-08 - Colonies - Daressalam - Kolonial-Korps ist gelandet.jpg
1850-01 - Das Kolonial-Korps entsteht.jpg
1850-01 - Colonies - Daressalam - (Merchant, Trade, Mission, Anthropology, Nature).jpg

Siegfroh
Major

Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:24 pm

In retrospect, Daressalam was a bad choice. The way to get there (around Cape Horn) is very long and my transport fleet regularly runs out of supplies on its way back, reducing ts speed significantly. And I only have this one transporter with the capacity of 40 weight points. Unfortunately, England refuses a mutual supply treaty, under the pretext my government were too backward. I don't know how to change this:

[ATTACH]33939[/ATTACH]

And, alas, also my colonial corps is running out of supply. I just started to build a collection center, but don't know whether it will operate as a supply source through maritime trade ?

My depleted transport fleet needs another two weeks to get home, two weeks to recover in the harbor, and two more weeks to come back to Daressalam with some supply waggons. Will it still find some living soldiers on its arrival ?

[ATTACH]33940[/ATTACH]
Attachments
1851-01 - Colonies - Kolonial-Korps out of Supply.jpg
1851-01 - Colonies - Flotte out of Supply.jpg

Siegfroh
Major

Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:28 pm

At least at home everything is well, people are prospering and founding new cities (January 1851):

[ATTACH]33941[/ATTACH]
Attachments
1851-01 - Lötzen gegründet.jpg

Lemoni
Sergeant

Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:33 pm

The manual is clear! One colonial brigade and one supply wagon. Once you establish Military Control
build misssion or military outpost,take back supply wagon and your brigade will feed itself forever. One structure feeds three elements.
Keep going the AAR, your style of telling the story is so good

Field Marshal Hotzendorf
Captain

Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:20 am

I agree with Lemoni, keep it up. :)

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:05 am

Siegfroh wrote:In retrospect, Daressalam was a bad choice. The way to get there (around Cape Horn) is very long and my transport fleet regularly runs out of supplies on its way back, reducing ts speed significantly. And I only have this one transporter with the capacity of 40 weight points. Unfortunately, England refuses a mutual supply treaty, under the pretext my government were too backward. I don't know how to change this:

best suggestion - beat them up ... bringing down Perfidious Albion is always a fun goal in PoN

way to play the early colonial game is small and slow. As others have said, the early buildings generate the organic supply for a brigade (missions etc), so that should be your focus. Once you get Colonial Penetration and MC up you can start the process of some sort of port facilities. Also build a fort early on. The main thing about this is the auto-garrison that spawns if it is under siege. That, in a small war, is a huge force multiplier and helps protect your vulnerable buildings etc.

If I recall with Germany up to about 1880, you are very limited in the range of colonial cards you have to play, so you'll struggle to push colonial control to the point where protectorates and colonies are available (can be done but its slow). One alternative strategy is to take someone else's :) ... but best do the German unification process first.

great to see this and fun to follow
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

Return to “PON AARs”