Should I force the an end to the war between Great Britain and USA through script?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:21 am

Yes, it's ahistorical and compromises the campaign's realism.
22%
No, let's see where it leads.
22%
Give them more time, but end it if it goes on for a long time.
56%

Total votes: 9
HerrDan

Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:35 am

Kensai wrote:"The astounding american victory over the british in Canada, opened many possibilities for the americans to ask at the peace table, but instead of expanding the United States borders to the north, at the cost of getting another resentful neighbour, the americans decided to expand their influence over Canada demanding the british to give autonomy to Canada and also the transfer of the colony of Gambia to the American Colonial Society. With this Washington not only expanded their international prestige, but also pleased the resentful southern states and got a valid argument for the expansion of the american colonial empire in Africa."

Nice! :thumbsup:

Regarding Canada, see if you want to fire the late events that I think give some autonomy for Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc. Not really investigated this so far, they should fire after 1900 if I recall correctly.

Thank you very much, I feel really great when someone express they're enjoying this AAR, I have read a little bit about the story of the ACS and it gave me some inspiration to think of a way to adapt it to my game reality.

I'll investigate the events regarding Canada's autonomy and make it fire earlier to reflect the change of events that this last conflict made. :)

HerrDan

Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:05 am

Hey you Loki, you say text is the way to go, what did you think of my roleplaying of the situation that arouse in my game after the war betwee the Great Britain and USA?

Cheers.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:52 am

it reads very plausibly. One of the good things about PoN is even when something ahistorical happens, its easy to frame it in terms of real world outcomes as the bulk of the scenario remains realistic.

Australia certainly flips status in 1900, but the British can continue to station troops there, so I guess the same with the basic Canada event. If you want a fully independent Canada you may need to create a different event to achieve this?
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

Kensai

Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:58 am

Some things to consider. Allowing a nation to go "independent" beyond the scope of the historical scripted events can bring some other types of problems in the game. For example: since there are no rulers scripted, the new nation will default in average 5-5-5 (or 4-4-4, don't recall) blank rulers which is kind of a turn-off.

A diligent scripted would go all the way to reconstruct some basic "national structure", using AGEOD script language to set a capital (if it is to be moved), ruler chain, leader chain and OOB, potential force/structure pool, etc.
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

HerrDan

Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:13 am

Kensai wrote:Some things to consider. Allowing a nation to go "independent" beyond the scope of the historical scripted events can bring some other types of problems in the game. For example: since there are no rulers scripted, the new nation will default in average 5-5-5 (or 4-4-4, don't recall) blank rulers which is kind of a turn-off.

A diligent scripted would go all the way to reconstruct some basic "national structure", using AGEOD script language to set a capital (if it is to be moved), ruler chain, leader chain and OOB, potential force/structure pool, etc.

I didn't find the events for Canada independence, like the one Australia has, so I really don't know what to do regarding it, I wanted to make an event similar to the one Australia has, but how?

HerrDan

Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:58 pm

Another important thing I need to know is if Canada is considered by the game as british, because liberating Finland was simple as it was just a case of changing the owner of some regions and create it, but with Canada I think I'm going to need some time to do it...

HerrDan

The fall of Lome

Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:18 pm

After resisting for a long time against a force much superior in numbers, the fortress of Lome finally fell to the british forces. Now that the war with the americans has ended the british can commit a much larger number of forces against the German Empire.

[ATTACH]28590[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]28591[/ATTACH]

In Central-West Africa the fight continues and no decisive battle took place yet, most of the german forces fighting in Central-West Africa are made up of natives troop and it's really impressive that they fight so valiantly for their german leaders.

[ATTACH]28592[/ATTACH]

In East-Africa the germans have achieved a decisive victory over the british in the Battle of Arusha. The german forces commanded by the veterans Götzen and Leutwein, two commanders very accustomed to fight in the harsh african weather and also very respected by the natives have dealt a severe blow to the british war effort in East-Africa.

[ATTACH]28593[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]28594[/ATTACH]
Attachments
2014-06-11 17_07_04-Greenshot.jpg
2014-06-11 16_57_32-Greenshot.jpg
2014-06-11 16_49_15-Greenshot.jpg
2014-06-11 16_44_19-Greenshot.jpg
2014-06-11 16_44_04-Greenshot.jpg

HerrDan

Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:39 am

loki100 wrote:it reads very plausibly. One of the good things about PoN is even when something ahistorical happens, its easy to frame it in terms of real world outcomes as the bulk of the scenario remains realistic.

Australia certainly flips status in 1900, but the British can continue to station troops there, so I guess the same with the basic Canada event. If you want a fully independent Canada you may need to create a different event to achieve this?

I've been thinking that perhaps I could give usa some colonial influence in Canada, as it seems Canada is still treated as a colony by the engine. So giving the status of influenced territory to the usa would abstract the results the war had in my world. :)

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:46 am

Sorry, just found your AAR. I'm catching up.

HerrDan

Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:42 am

H Gilmer3 wrote:Sorry, just found your AAR. I'm catching up.

Welcome aboard H Gilmer3 :)

It's always a pleasure to have new readers around.

HerrDan

The End of an Age

Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:09 am

The death of Queen Victoria was a hard blow, not only to the british but to every royal family in Europe, even though we were at war, I would never want to see this happening.
R.I.P Victoria and the Great Britain as we knew.

[ATTACH]28601[/ATTACH]
Attachments
2014-06-11 22_01_29-Greenshot.jpg

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:49 am

All caught up.

I have to say that reading your AAR, I'm glad you did not stop and apologize for my tardiness in finding it. I feel almost as if we were friends at college but from different countries and you were relating to me how your country was faring - that's what some call immersion. I was definitely on your side against the Russians and on one of the surprising defeats when you lost 38 NM total I read it and threw my hands up in the air with dismay. But, then you had your brilliant succession of victories. Very good. Then the dastardly British declared war.

I have a question for anyone that knows. Will this kind of defeat that HerrDan inflicted on Russia permanently (or at least until 1920) damage them so that they will be a nonentity in whatever WW1 scenario arises? That would be kind of a shame, especially considering HerrDan's wish to be historically plausible.

I do not have the 1880 scenario and I will now acquire it because I want to play it. I have had the game since the very beginning (and even got the Spanish-American war scenario :thumbsup :) and have played it enough to justify owning it, but I want to play it more now.

HerrDan

Tirpitz achieves another great sucess

Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:55 am

Our flee sent to the Mediterranean sea led by Tirpitz achieved a great victory over the british, siniking 4 ironclad frigates without suffering any relevant losses, taking the control of the Mediterranean from them and boosting our morale in the war, Tirpitz and his amazing beard never fails to amazes me indeed!

[ATTACH]28602[/ATTACH]

Now that our armies have recovered from the losses in the war with the russians, we need to think of a way to quickly end this war with Great Britain and bring peace to Germany. We need to bait the Royal Navy to a decisive battle at the sea that shall force them to discuss peace terms.

The british are bringing a lot of reenforcement to Africa, but this ship they brough to the Niger River really impressed me!

[ATTACH]28603[/ATTACH]

Now that our armed forces has somehow managed to recover from the heavy losses suffered in the war with Russia, we need to think of a way to use them to end this war. While some among us argue that we should keep fighting the colonial war with the colonial forces we have in Africa and peharps sending some reinforcements and focus our war effort on defeating the british navy and completelly blockading Great Britain til it asks for peace terms, others, including the former war minister of germany Bronsart von Schellendorf thinks that the only way to force the british to surrender would be to land an army in the British Isles itself, his idea is strongly supported by Tirptiz himself, who said that he could guarantee the landing of an army in british soil and provide the army with all the supply it might need in the first weeks of the landing after that the forces could take the supply from the british cities themselves. Von Schellendorf and Tirpitz argue that the landing in Helsinki in the war against Russia was such a sucess that it alone greatly contributed to the russian surrender a few weeks later.

In any case, the Kaiser thinks we should wait, specially now with the Queen Victoria's death, we should wait until the mourning is over before we can attack. The Kaiser is a very temperamental man and Victoria was his grandmother, so can't really act now.
Attachments
2014-06-11 23_35_32-Greenshot.jpg
2014-06-11 23_12_02-Greenshot.jpg

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:02 am

Oh, yes, I was saying while reading, go for the throat! Go to the Isles!!! That will bring them around. Why waste time sailing around the world? Cut the head of the snake (no offense to British people, just a saying) off!

HerrDan

Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:12 am

H Gilmer3 wrote:All caught up.

I have to say that reading your AAR, I'm glad you did not stop and apologize for my tardiness in finding it. I feel almost as if we were friends at college but from different countries and you were relating to me how your country was faring - that's what some call immersion. I was definitely on your side against the Russians and on one of the surprising defeats when you lost 38 NM total I read it and threw my hands up in the air with dismay. But, then you had your brilliant succession of victories. Very good. Then the dastardly British declared war.

I have a question for anyone that knows. Will this kind of defeat that HerrDan inflicted on Russia permanently (or at least until 1920) damage them so that they will be a nonentity in whatever WW1 scenario arises? That would be kind of a shame, especially considering HerrDan's wish to be historically plausible.

I do not have the 1880 scenario and I will now acquire it because I want to play it. I have had the game since the very beginning (and even got the Spanish-American war scenario :thumbsup :) and have played it enough to justify owning it, but I want to play it more now.

Oh man you can't imagine how wonderful I felt after reading your comment :coeurs: ! It's really amazing to get this kind of feedback from readers here, this motivated me a lot!

Thank you so much! :)

Regarding the russians, I think they'll recover with time and I hope in time to threat me in 1914 :thumbsup: !

And in case they don't I could script some events to booster their power, as I have done with the AI navies in general (it seems the AI doesn't build enough ships by themselves, so if you want more challenge at the sea you need to boost their power through event ;) )

You won't regret a bit buyng the 1880 scenario, it's really amazing and in case you need any help I'll be here to provide you with that and Loki and Kensai are always around to help as well. :D

Thank you again for inspiring me even more :)

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:24 am

HerrDan wrote:[
The british are bringing a lot of reenforcement to Africa, but this ship they brough to the Niger River really impressed me!

[ATTACH]28603[/ATTACH]

ah, its not a ship, its a regular unit making use of river movement, sort of the same as the train image that appears when units move that way

As to strategy, well you'll spend a long time tussling with the British in Africa for little real gain (in warscore), so I think its time to strike at the heart of the beast ... funerals or no funerals :)

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:12 pm

loki100 wrote:ah, its not a ship, its a regular unit making use of river movement, sort of the same as the train image that appears when units move that way

As to strategy, well you'll spend a long time tussling with the British in Africa for little real gain (in warscore), so I think its time to strike at the heart of the beast ... funerals or no funerals :)

Yes, this is War. They wouldn't wait for you, if your ruler died. Go for London. Take London and have some tea while they scramble around trying to make peace.

HerrDan

Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:49 pm

loki100 wrote:ah, its not a ship, its a regular unit making use of river movement, sort of the same as the train image that appears when units move that way

O thank you for letting me know it's not a ship per se, the funny thing is that after I saw it I've sent a river boat of mine to there trying to catch it :bonk: now I'm feeling stupid! But thank you for clarifying it to me, at least the episode made me understand that I can send some types of boot to big rivers like that, PON's map is so immersive, I love it.

Yes, this is War. They wouldn't wait for you, if your ruler died. Go for London. Take London and have some tea while they scramble around trying to make peace.

People you're all so warlike! We need to respect the passing of the lady who represented an era, besides she was my grandma :p apy:

I'll wait for summer to start with the landing operations.

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:06 pm

Remember they declared war on you! While Victoria was alive! So, obviously you're not her favorite grandson. :)

HerrDan

Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:06 pm

H Gilmer3 wrote:Remember they declared war on you! While Victoria was alive! So, obviously you're not her favorite grandson. :)

Oh that's hard to hear! But I have to admit she didn't really show much compassion towards me! That was kind of a betrayal to declare war on me like that! While my forces were so weary and dusty from the war with the russians! :grr: I'll invade the islands!

HerrDan

Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:11 pm

She obviously liked more my cousin Nicky (Nicholas II) than me!! It was so unfair!! :grr:

Jim-NC

Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:22 pm

The Russians may recover between now and 1914ish. If you look at Loki's AAR from Italy, you will see that the 2nd time he fought any country (Ottomans and/or Austrians), the troops were of a lesser quality. For example, less guards corps, less artillery. So there will be as many troops, they just won't be of as good a quality as the current crop.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HerrDan

The Colonial War

Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:54 pm

The british achieved a nother great victory in West-Africa, we have suffered heavy losses and it seems it's going to be hard to defeat the british in Africa in a conventional war, I think we're going to change our strategy and avoid facing them directly. The good thing about it is that if they are commiting such a great numbers of troops in Africa, then they are very confident that we won't try to invade their "little island" itself, then I think our chances of achieving a victory in the heart of their empire is getting better.

[ATTACH]28607[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]28608[/ATTACH]

Our next target is Gibraltar, the important naval base the british got there is the only obstacle left for us to achieve complete supremacy on the mediterranean sea, we're now discussing the plans for the invasion of the enclave and which commander shall lead the attack. The naval base we aquired long time ago in Tangiers is of fundamental importance in this endeavor, as it's very close to Gibraltar and allow us to counter the dominance the british had in the region.

[ATTACH]28609[/ATTACH]

There's some dispute in our Heer about who shall lead the invasion of the british isles, we have so many good choices, that I'm still in doubt, our former war minister von Schellendorf is surely quoted as one of the most apt for the position, but I think he's more of a staffer and maybe we need a more energic commander to help inspiring our forces as well. We still have to reach a consensus before Summer, when we plan to launch the invasion.

[ATTACH]28610[/ATTACH]
Attachments
2014-06-12 13_50_58-Greenshot.jpg
2014-06-12 13_44_35-Greenshot.jpg
2014-06-12 13_38_11-Greenshot.jpg
2014-06-12 13_22_06-Greenshot.jpg

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:42 am

if you have the transports, I'd take Gibralter first. Will help disrupt the British supply lines and their ability to shift units around (also will cost them NM)

HerrDan

Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:28 pm

loki100 wrote:if you have the transports, I'd take Gibralter first. Will help disrupt the British supply lines and their ability to shift units around (also will cost them NM)

Well I tried that, but...I'll post the next report within some minutes...

HerrDan

Catastrophic landing in Fortress Gibraltar

Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:00 pm

"Bad planning, a foolish underestimation of the enemy capacity and terrible leadership were some of the reasons for the loss", says Generalfeldmarschall Alfred von Waldersee, the germans suffered heavy casualties in their attempt to raze the main british naval base in the mediterranean sea, among the casualties was the commander of the attack, the general of infantry Eduard von Liebert, known for his skills in fighting colonial engagements, the general showed little prepararation for leading an assault across the sea against the strong british fortifications in Gibraltar. We mourn the loss of our beloved soldiers that ended their lives fighting for the Vaterland on the shores of Gibraltar. The german general staff must reevaluate their plans after this catastrophic defeat.

[ATTACH]28617[/ATTACH]

Another crisis with the russians, "Nicholas still wants me to relieve Bernhard von Bülow from his position of minister of foreign affairs, I've already said I won't let the russians intervene in my politik, NO ONE shall intervene in our politik, theres only one above me that could ever intervene in german's affair and this is also the only onve above me on earth, that is God, tell the russians to forget the issue, order an army maneuver if needs be!", says a letter from the Kaiser to the Prime Minister Prince Chlodwig zu Hohenlohe.

[ATTACH]28618[/ATTACH]
Attachments
2014-06-13 09_59_27-Greenshot.jpg
2014-06-13 09_33_38-Greenshot.jpg

HerrDan

Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:42 pm

Now Sokode is completelly surrounded by british forces, they must try to hold against all odds until reinforcements arrive!

[ATTACH]28619[/ATTACH]
Attachments
2014-06-13 10_17_09-Greenshot.jpg

HerrDan

Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:26 pm

We have taken Vanuatu from the british in the Pacific!

[ATTACH]28620[/ATTACH]

"I am just now not reading but devouring Captain Mahan's book and am trying to learn it by heart. It is a first-class book and classical on all points."
Says the Kaiser Wilhelm II about Mahan's book.

[ATTACH]28621[/ATTACH]
Attachments
2014-06-13 11_24_11-Greenshot.jpg
2014-06-13 11_05_13-Greenshot.jpg

Kensai

Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:43 pm

100000+ defenders on the Rock. Well, how could your General have guessed. More disturbingly, he died (black ribbon on the battle screen). RIP.

You could try to get passage rights from Spain and attack them from the land. ;)
(you may also want to take supply rights as well, otherwise you may eat up all your supplies before even starting to fight...)
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

HerrDan

Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:52 pm

Kensai wrote:100000+ defenders on the Rock. Well, how could your General have guessed. More disturbingly, he died (black ribbon on the battle screen). RIP.

You could try to get passage rights from Spain and attack them from the land. ;)
(you may also want to take supply rights as well, otherwise you may eat up all your supplies before even starting to fight...)

I've been trying to get a good relations with Spain since our war in the 1880s, but they're hard to plese, surprisingly enough they seem to have liked my war with Great Britain as our relations have improved a lot since the war started and it's 27 now, I've sent a commercial agreement proposal last turn and they accepted, now I guess it'll become better, still getting a right of passage agreement is VERY HARD in PON, but I'll keep trying.

Nonetheless we're preparing to launch a powerful landing to crush the british in the heart of their country, but this defeat scared me a bit I have to say, so I'm rather cautious now.

Return to “PON AARs”