Should I force the an end to the war between Great Britain and USA through script?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:21 am

Yes, it's ahistorical and compromises the campaign's realism.
22%
No, let's see where it leads.
22%
Give them more time, but end it if it goes on for a long time.
56%

Total votes: 9
HerrDan

Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:01 pm

Egg Bub wrote:Really cool that you have resumed this AAR. :)

Thank you very much for the support! I use to say that this is the "fuel" to write an AAR, I really love when people are enjoying and commenting here, as well as when they give their opinions or suggestions.

Thank you all!
"Das Glück hilft dem Kühnen."

German Empire PON 1880 AAR:http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?35152-German-Empire-not-quite-an-AAR

seathom
Colonel

Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:00 am

Usually, this is the part of a game when I stop playing knowing the end will be too easy. After your excellent and hard fought victory over the Russians, followed by a relatively easy spanking of Britain and cruising over Portugal, the Great War seems like it would be a relatively easy victory as only France and Italy have escaped humiliation, and whether Britain would support France and then the USA support of Britain seems dubious from the game mechanics perspective.

However, with AGEOD games, maybe there is still a chance for an exciting finish! Victory in wars in AGEOD games doesn't mean totally victory, so your opponents will have some time to regroup (albeit they will definitely be weaker from having already fought and lost a war). I am very interested to see what will happen next! Will Germany continue taking out nations one at a time under the guise of colonization and growing their strength or will you wait for a war to break out and maybe side with one of your allies or will you sit back and wait for Austria to intervene in Serbia? What will the coalitions look like? Who will actually do the fighting. There is an interesting juxtaposition between game play and historical events that will make for a hopefully very exciting (and ahistorical ending for your sake)!

HerrDan

Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:25 am

seathom wrote:Usually, this is the part of a game when I stop playing knowing the end will be too easy. After your excellent and hard fought victory over the Russians, followed by a relatively easy spanking of Britain and cruising over Portugal, the Great War seems like it would be a relatively easy victory as only France and Italy have escaped humiliation, and whether Britain would support France and then the USA support of Britain seems dubious from the game mechanics perspective.

However, with AGEOD games, maybe there is still a chance for an exciting finish! Victory in wars in AGEOD games doesn't mean totally victory, so your opponents will have some time to regroup (albeit they will definitely be weaker from having already fought and lost a war). I am very interested to see what will happen next! Will Germany continue taking out nations one at a time under the guise of colonization and growing their strength or will you wait for a war to break out and maybe side with one of your allies or will you sit back and wait for Austria to intervene in Serbia? What will the coalitions look like? Who will actually do the fighting. There is an interesting juxtaposition between game play and historical events that will make for a hopefully very exciting (and ahistorical ending for your sake)!

Well, I don't really think the end will be that easy (and remember I fought Great Britain at the same time they were fighting the USA). Russia has already recovered a little from their defeat (as they are showing in the war against Japan that I intend to update you all about, once I finish translating a thesis here) and with time I think they'll be in much better shape to fight a "WW1" (given the situation in my game, I'm seriously thinking about precipitating the war, instead of waiting until 1914, indeed Kensai said he would create an alternate chain for me, but I don't see him around in a while, and it's not that fun to create a chain myself as I would know every little detail in advance and it would spoil a little the excitedness of the "thing"), although I'm not sure if they'll be as strong as they were when we fought our war. France is strong and is allied to Russia and very friendly to Great Britain after the war we fought with the british, so I wouldn't be surprised if they allied themselves against me. The USA is getting stronger and stronger (they are almost surpassing Great Britain in the rank) and we, infact, don't have good diplomatic relations, as I gave my diplomatic support to Spain in its last war against the americans. To sum up, my German Reich has many enemies and potential competitors, I'll post here some screenshots in a while, showing the "world picture" of the great powers in my game atm.

All in all, I think that the next years in my game are going to be very exciting! I'm very interested in seeing how the Russian war with Japan unfolds.

German Empire PON 1880 AAR:http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?35152-German-Empire-not-quite-an-AAR

HerrDan

Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:09 am

Just a side note, when I usually speak (and I often do and people criticize me for it) about "historically acceptable things", it's only my opinion on how the game is played, but is, as everything concerning human sciences, subjective. PoN is about taking a role of a country in history, so, surely "ahistorical things" are always going to happen, but what I mean by "realistic" is what is within the realm of possibility, so, Germany winning WW1 or USA invading Canada, are totally feaseable things that could have happened (and, specially in the case of WW1, almost happened!), but turning Belgium into a global superpower is, IMO, completelly out of the realm of possibility.
These are just concepts that I wished to make clear to avoid pointless conflicts :) , my game has a good share of hstorically questionable things, but I try to stay within the realm of "what could have happened" or, more simply put "what if...", and I'm always open for debate as indeed I think it enriches the experience of playing this game.

Updates coming soon!

Cheers.

seathom
Colonel

Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:00 pm

Can't wait for the updates! I totally agree with you about "historically acceptable things". In wargaming, there is a lot of wiggle room between what happened and what could have happened. To not have that would, IMO, make wargaming a useless hobby rather than a way to create what if scenarios in a realistic manner. I, too, often rail wargames that end up with Albania conquering the world in HOI3 or the same ending for Sardinia-Piedmont in Vicky 2. Many people enjoy those challenges, I don't for lack of realism. It seems to me that AGEOD games are far superior in that they have done painstaking research and implemented sensible diplomatic outcomes to ending wars.

Have you played a scenario to the finish to see the WWI chain? Are there several roads a player can take to start WWI or is it "you have to do A-B-C, etc., to get the chain to fire? Are there opportunities to get engaged in a colonial war with France or the USA (a little more likely since it probably wouldn't start a coalition war)? Well, I'm getting ahead of myself!

I am finding it difficult to start a colonial war in my game. It seems most territories have already reached colony status and therefore I can't get access to those territories to get any CP and create a stake. The few nearby ones in the Pacific are Protectorates or Influenced by my allies Britain and France. I did decide to wait for events to unfold for the Spanish-American War (since AGEOD went to the trouble of making a DLC!) My only option seems to be Canada, which actually would be easy to manufacture a stake in Manitoba, just not to keen on this idea for realism. It's 1866 (or nearly, can't remember!) and I could continue to look for ways to improve my economy and wait to see if the Cuban situation worsens for an opportunity (which did exist IRL; I think there was a 10 year rebellion from 1868-78 with Spain?).

Once again, looking forward to your next moves!

HerrDan

Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:25 pm

Our forces commanded by GO. von Kluck, have finally defeated the bulk of the portuguese army and captured Lisboa. Tirpitz contribution to this victory was immense as we managed to coordinate our naval and land forces to act in unison. Our Nation's morale is very high as this war seems to be basically over and it was swift as the Emperor had promised. Now it's only a matter of time to negotiate the peace terms.

Main Battles:

[ATTACH]33859[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33860[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33861[/ATTACH]
Attachments
2015-06-20 18_14_41-Greenshot.jpg
2015-06-20 18_14_23-Greenshot.jpg
2015-06-20 18_12_12-Greenshot.jpg

HerrDan

Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:48 pm

The Japanese have perhaps started to doubt their ability to take on the russians as it was reported to me that they are decreeing a partial mobilization of their army. The russians are taking the initiative on land and are invading the korean peninsula, how will the japanese army deal with that? I'd say this war shall be over in a month, these asiatics don't have the backbone necessary to fight an Eropean power (even a decadent one as the Russian Empire haha...) and I can't see any chance of them turning the tide of this war. It seems that after much success against the decadent Chinese Empire, Japan has crossed a line by underestimating an European power.

[ATTACH]33862[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33863[/ATTACH]
Attachments
2015-06-20 18_42_46-Greenshot.jpg
2015-06-20 18_32_28-Greenshot.jpg

HerrDan

Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:19 am

The Russian offensive continues and the Tsar's army has captured Seoul in the korean peninsula, it looks like the Japanese position is hopeless. I'm very impressed with the Russian performance in this war, they seem to have recovered quite well from their defeat against us, even though Japan isn't nearly as powerful as we are, the swiftness of the Russian response to the attack on Port Arthur is quite impressive indeed. Perhaps we should give the Japanese some support, although we do not want to get directly involved in this conflict in the Far East we could at least give them some economic and diplomatic aid.

[ATTACH]33870[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33871[/ATTACH]

In the New World, the cubans have started another rebellion and it looks like this one is in much greater force than the last. I would certainly expect the americans to be behind this. How will Spain react to this new threat? It looks quite clear that the cubans aren't happy in being part of the Spanish Empire, so I'd ask if is it really worth to Spain to try to force their rule on the cuban people...

[ATTACH]33872[/ATTACH]
Attachments
2015-06-21 20_18_55-Greenshot.jpg
2015-06-21 20_11_53-Greenshot.jpg
2015-06-21 20_05_13-Greenshot.jpg

HerrDan

Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:08 am

Here I post some screenshots that shows, as I mentioned in the forum discussion, that the AI is in fact building new industries in the game:

[ATTACH]33873[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]33874[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]33875[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]33876[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]33877[/ATTACH]
Attachments
2015-06-22 20_04_16-Greenshot.jpg
2015-06-22 20_03_18-Greenshot.jpg
2015-06-22 19_58_53-Greenshot.jpg
2015-06-22 19_57_13-Greenshot.jpg
2015-06-22 19_56_43-Greenshot.jpg

Field Marshal Hotzendorf
Captain

Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:31 am

Seems the Russians are doing well against Japan. Formosa could be a very nice German Colony??? :D

HerrDan

Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:52 am

Field Marshal Hotzendorf wrote:Seems the Russians are doing well against Japan. Formosa could be a very nice German Colony??? :D

Yes, as I predicted, the japanese won't stand a chance against them and we'll have to think about something to do regarding it. It would be hard to get a valid claim on Formosa though and we're avoiding conflicts at the moment, thus, for now, we'll just watch how this war unfolds...

Field Marshal Hotzendorf
Captain

Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:04 pm

Any new updates HerrDan?

HerrDan

Re: German Empire, not quite an AAR...

Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:37 pm

Sorry for not answering earlier, but I have lost the save files for this game and I won't be able to continue this AAR. I'm playing a new campaign now with the lastest patch, but I'm still not if I'm going to be able to keep an active AAR as I'm not having a lot of free time at the moment. In any case, thank you very much guys for the amazing support you gave me while writing this AAR! This game is unique and so is the game's community and its developers. By the way, I'm really enjoying the improvements made in this last patch, despite some minor issues, the game became much better overall.

Cheers,
Daniel.

Return to “PON AARs”