numahr
Sergeant

Game report - suggestions

Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:01 pm

I just won a complete victory in the Cannes scenario as Hannibal by conquering Rome. OK I know this is basically the easiest scenario for Carthage :neener:
But I wanted to know whether Maharbal was right when advising Hannibal to march on Rome just after his victory; well, I think he was!

Anyway, based on this game, I have a few suggestions (echoing some feedback already heard):

- Hannibal should have some Numidian cavalry with him in this scenario. As it is, he is ridiculously weak in cavalry.

- Some parameters should be changed in this extension to allow battles of encirclement / destruction. Maybe a trait that Hannibal alone would have at the beginning, but that Romans could get after some defeats. I understand this has major balance implications, but well a Punic war needs such battles.

- The AI should learn to defend Rome(/Carthage?) when under siege, since it determines the fate of the game. The fact that I won is mostly due to me focusing on this single operation at all costs, while Rome, even when Rome's garrison was starving, went on sending legions everywhere in Italy to counter-attack rather than to save Roma... I was expecting some major battles against my besieging army to save Rome, they never happened

On the bright side, the AI was not too bad at harassing my constantly flowing lines of impedimenta to keep the besieging army in supply. Although it was as a side effect of its own operations, it seems.

Franciscus

Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:41 am

Thanks for your remarks.

I suppose you are playing with the beta patch, right ?

I will discuss with the scenario designer about the cavalry with Hannibal.

I think it is very difficult with the Ageod engine to get total destruction battles, AND keep the balance needed in other scenarios of AJE

As to the AI, she is not perfect, and will never be, it is a work in progress. Nevertheless, I think that a good, determinate player will always end winning a game vs AI, specially if no bonus are given to her.

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

numahr
Sergeant

Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:48 am

Thanks for answer - and for the great game anyway! :coeurs:

Yes, playing with the Beta patch.

I understand the problem with total destruction battles, and I guess that's the way it is with the engine (maybe a special Hannibal+Scipion trait to make the pursuit phase last much longer? Not too much disruption on the engine balance otherwise...).

My main point, actually, was for the AI to prioritize defence of the capital if besieged, at least for armies in that very theatre, which should be more in the scope of the possible.

Return to “Help to improve AJE”