aryaman

No African replacements in Caesar vs Pompey

Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:22 pm

I am playing v1.03, and when I activate Numidians under Pompey I find there is only replacements for the cavalry, but not for the African infantry, is that WAD?

arsan

Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:29 pm

Hi!
I was puzzled with this too, until i noticed that in the replacement screen on this scenario there are two african replacement tabs. Ona has all the infantry types. The other just cavalry. IIRC one is called African and the other Numidian or something like this but both have the Numidian faction little horse icon
Don't know why they are divided like this but it works ok and if you buy infantry replacements here Hiempsal troops will get them :thumbsup:
(I refer t 1.02b patch, hope it's still the same on 1.03)
Regards!

aryaman

Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:53 pm

Hi Arsan
No, that is what happens in the Marius vs Sulla scenario, where I can get replacements for Hiempsal infantry, but in the Caesar vs Pompey that other African faction is missing from the replacement screen, so poor Juba can´t replace infantry losses, only cavalry

arsan

Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:08 pm

Oh! sorry! i'm currently playing both scenarios on PBEM and mixed the africans! :bonk: ;)
Regarding Juba's men... mmm i have some of their non phalanx infantry units fighting around Sicily and Italy supporting Pompey legions and don't recall issues with their replacements...
I will check in game and report back :thumbsup:

EDIT: Indeed, on Caesar vs Pompey Numidians only have cavalry replacements...
But what puzzles me is that on my game my numidian infantry is in pretty good shape, near 100% health, while other factions troops for which i don't ever buy replacements for like Lagides, Capadocians etc because they are locked and far from the front are in pretty depleted (around 50-60% health) because of the historic attrition option effects after 25 turns.
And that's even considering Jubas men have seen some action helping Pompey on Sicily or Italy or crushing rebelions on Africa, whileother factions have done nothing except sit on their cities... :blink:
It looks like numidian infantry are using somebody's replacements but no idea which ones... romans maybe? :bonk:

Regards!

Franciscus

Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:01 pm

Excelent catch, gentlemen !

Indeed, it was not intended that Numidian (and Mauretanian) infantry got no replacements in this scenario. They will have in patch 1.03c official, (under AFR tab)

Thanks !

:hat:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bullman
Lieutenant

Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:25 pm

Franciscus wrote:Indeed, it was not intended that Numidian (and Mauretanian) infantry got no replacements in this scenario. They will have in patch 1.03c official, (under AFR tab)

I've just checked a newly started game of Pompey vs Caesar using 1.03c and there is still no replacements for Numidian infantry in the Replacement Pool tab when pressing F2.

A separate yet related question:
I see that the Numidian leaders all have the African World trait which says they (and all units below them) suffer severe penalties if fighting outside of Africa. Do we know what these penalties are?
And do any Numidian units suffer any penalties fighting outside of Africa? What exactly does the African ability attached to some Numidian armies mean anyway besides the obvious? The tooltip just says "This unit is African".

I read another thread where it was suggested that the Numidian armies/Juba should not be allowed to leave Africa. I am not aware that they did historically so should they be allowed in this game?

Bull

Franciscus

Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:27 pm

Bullman wrote:I've just checked a newly started game of Pompey vs Caesar using 1.03c and there is still no replacements for Numidian infantry in the Replacement Pool tab when pressing F2.

Numidian infantry do not use NUM replacements, but African (AFR) replacements (Mauretanian the same). I just rechecked, and right from the beginning as Pompeius you have inf replacements in F2, in the AFR tab, that you use for Numidian infantry

Regarding Juba and Numidian armies, if led by AI Juba will only very rarely leave Africa. But if led by a human player there are no hard restrictions in moving them (not really possible in terms of game engine). The leaders will however fight with penalties if outside Africa

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bullman
Lieutenant

Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:53 pm

Franciscus wrote:Numidian infantry do not use NUM replacements, but African (AFR) replacements (Mauretanian the same). I just rechecked, and right from the beginning as Pompeius you have inf replacements in F2, in the AFR tab, that you use for Numidian infantry

I don't see an AFR tab:

[ATTACH]26082[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]26083[/ATTACH]
Attachments
03-01-2014 00-49-57.png
03-01-2014 00-49-32.png

Franciscus

Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:56 pm

If you do not see this (screenshot from Caesar vs Pompeius, F2, Pompeius faction, first turn):

either you did not apply correctly the patch 1.03c or you are continuing a saved game started with a previous patch... :confused:

AFR "faction" is represented by a horse, very similar to NUM. You may need to scroll left or right to see all tabs available ?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bullman
Lieutenant

Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:24 pm

Franciscus wrote:....either you did not apply correctly the patch 1.03c.........

Wow, seems this was the case even though I had thought I had installed the patch correctly the first time. The game was showing 1.03c at teh bottom left of the opening screen.

I re-downloaded the zipped patch from the ftp site (not from Matrixgames, not sure if they are different), but this time when it first asks for a location to extract (not the directory where the game is located that needs to be updated), I chose the game install directory anyway.

Return to “Help to improve AJE”