Cfant
Lieutenant

Army mix

Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:32 am

Hi!

Just a suggestion: In AJE, you should keep you best troops together (frontage-iussue). That's ok, but I'd prefer a malus for pure infantry-armies, as in history legions and even more a phalanx was very vulnerable, if the flanks were not secured by cavallry. Cannae was not a failure of the legions, but of the roman cavallry :( Yes, I know, the legions have a small detachment, but that's really small). If there were boni for having a mixed army, it would make "non-legion"-troops more valuable as it would improve the historical feeling of the game :)

Narwhal

Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:53 am

Cfant wrote:Hi!

Just a suggestion: In AJE, you should keep you best troops together (frontage-iussue). That's ok, but I'd prefer a malus for pure infantry-armies, as in history legions and even more a phalanx was very vulnerable, if the flanks were not secured by cavallry. Cannae was not a failure of the legions, but of the roman cavallry :( Yes, I know, the legions have a small detachment, but that's really small). If there were boni for having a mixed army, it would make "non-legion"-troops more valuable as it would improve the historical feeling of the game :)

I do agree (right now archers and to a lesser extent cavalry take frontage for not much) - but this is something I know the devs are looking closely, and they are going to tweak the values significantly in future patches.

koningtiger
Lieutenant

Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:24 am

That would be a good addition, more realistic. A small bonus for armies with cavalry and archers.

yellow ribbon

Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:18 am

koningtiger wrote:That would be a good addition, more realistic. A small bonus for armies with cavalry and archers.

depends on the time.

until the mid -80 years cav. is in the normal setup of a legion and you can only extend the use of cav. to a absolute unhistorical use

later (Caesar campaign) the archers as well as the Numidians give skirmisher bonus already

for early periods the NOT united cavalry but attached to the legions was one of the major drawbacks, poor quality of troops o the flanks (the role of cav.) which could be overrun (main battle tactic, the center holds or run, the flanks decide the day).

but i am absolutely with you, there should be a "screening" bonus after a certain number of AUX has a certain ratio to the number of legions. But if you do so, the number of AUX and mercenary cav. would have to be lowered considerably in most of the scenarios.

i asked about it during beta, they had valid reasons not to do it back then
...not paid by AGEOD.
however, prone to throw them into disarray.

PS:

‘Everything is very simple in War, but the simplest thing is difficult. These difficulties accumulate and produce a friction which no man can imagine exactly who has not seen War . . . in War, through the influence of an infinity of petty circumstances, which cannot properly be described on paper, things disappoint us, and we fall short of the mark.‘

Clausewitz

Cfant
Lieutenant

Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:27 am

yellow ribbon wrote: later (Caesar campaign) the archers as well as the Numidians give skirmisher bonus already

Interesting. Where can I see that in the game?

yellow ribbon

Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:32 am

Cfant wrote:Interesting. Where can I see that in the game?

for archers/sling bearers etc there should be a white circle with a kind of black arrow. i.e. in Caesars troops in south Gaul, turn one already
...not paid by AGEOD.

PS:

‘Everything is very simple in War, but the simplest thing is difficult. These difficulties accumulate and produce a friction which no man can imagine exactly who has not seen War . . . in War, through the influence of an infinity of petty circumstances, which cannot properly be described on paper, things disappoint us, and we fall short of the mark.‘

Clausewitz

yellow ribbon

Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:35 am

another bonus given from cavalry is (if nothing is changed in AIE)

Pursuit of Routing Force

A Force that is routed suffers additional losses in the form of “Pursuit” casualties. (Pursuit casualties represent losses due to the chaos and disintegration of an army running away in the face of an organized enemy force). Pursuit casualties are increased if the non-routing force (i.e. the winner of the battle) contains a significant number of cavalry units.

...not paid by AGEOD.

PS:

Clausewitz

koningtiger
Lieutenant

Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:36 am

That make sense.

Darksky
Private

Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:42 pm

yellow ribbon wrote:for archers/sling bearers etc there should be a white circle with a kind of black arrow. i.e. in Caesars troops in south Gaul, turn one already

Manual and in game pop up info, state that this bonus is added only to the elements of the unit where's located the archers/slinger. Not so much, expecially for roman unit.

Return to “Help to improve AJE”