danovenet
Civilian

Supersonic force jumps Messina strait and destroys everyone on its path

Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:51 pm

I was playing the Marius vs Sulla scenario up until turn 20 when I suffered a "terrible defeat". My force in Messina was evaporated, the city taken without combat and the enemy managed to cross the Messina Strait and beat me in another battle all in the same turn. I have included the save up to that strange event.
Hope this helps.
Attachments
1-v_Marius2.zip
(3.45 MiB) Downloaded 202 times

Jim-NC

Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:00 pm

The Messana strait appears to be able to be crossed by land troops. Select a land unit on either side, and hold the shift button. This tell you were you troops can go, and what they will have to do to get there. Any brown colored line means direct land connection. Thus a force can move from Messana to Rhegium by land. There are a few other locations like that.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PhilThib

Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:49 pm

However, straits crossing can be interdicted by enemy fleets patrolling the adjacent sea zone :cool:

Jim-NC

Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:54 pm

Should the line color be different then? It appears to be the same brown as any other land crossing.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Huskalator
Conscript

Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:20 am

Sea zones that can be crossed in this way should have a special grapical representation on the map so players know they are there. Lots of games use small stepping stones or a double arrow.

lycortas2
Captain

Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:39 pm

Considering one of the most famous events of the time - Crassus and the Pirates - This strait at least should not be crossable.

Mike

Florent

Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:22 pm

I agree with you here, this strait shouldn't be crossable.
Organizing a fleet and an expedition is real fun in this game. The first time that i played Caesar, i did the crossing after building some ships for Curio and his legions but discovered when playing Pompey that Caesarian had free access.

After many games, i find that it creates some problems since you can't play cat and mouse game with fleets and destroy all advantages of a superior fleets.
Here Pompey, the Carthaginians in the Punic Wars + Pyrrhus and later Sextus Pompey will be denied their advantage on the see.

Moreover the IA is largely able to do expeditions.

yellow ribbon

Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:41 pm

why?

the sea street can be easily blocked , as for instance the Dardanelles. but time should be stretched out.

as you need few ships to get legions over the street, and the storms eliminate most places for a landing, he landing without by mere movement would happen in the same province as with ships.

the landing by movement with low cohesion might even take longer than with ships. thus intercepting might be even more seldom
...not paid by AGEOD.
however, prone to throw them into disarray.

PS:

‘Everything is very simple in War, but the simplest thing is difficult. These difficulties accumulate and produce a friction which no man can imagine exactly who has not seen War . . . in War, through the influence of an infinity of petty circumstances, which cannot properly be described on paper, things disappoint us, and we fall short of the mark.‘

Clausewitz

Dragoon!
Sergeant

Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:15 pm

The Messana strait appears to be able to be crossed by land troops. Select a land unit on either side, and hold the shift button. This tell you were you troops can go, and what they will have to do to get there. Any brown colored line means direct land connection. Thus a force can move from Messana to Rhegium by land. There are a few other locations like that.

So, with a land link, there's no combat malus either for the river/strait crossing, correct? Is this going to be corrected?

Jim-NC

Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:36 am

It appears that their is no penalty for crossing. I have no idea if it will be corrected, or if it needs to be corrected.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

yellow ribbon

Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:29 am

i think you fight in either one of the provinces or being blocked by naval forces anyway.
the number of elements/ships needed to block the street of Messina and the Dardanelles could be lowered maybe
...not paid by AGEOD.

however, prone to throw them into disarray.

PS:

‘Everything is very simple in War, but the simplest thing is difficult. These difficulties accumulate and produce a friction which no man can imagine exactly who has not seen War . . . in War, through the influence of an infinity of petty circumstances, which cannot properly be described on paper, things disappoint us, and we fall short of the mark.‘

Clausewitz

Vadim
Corporal

Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:42 am

yellow ribbon wrote:i think you fight in either one of the provinces or being blocked by naval forces anyway.
the number of elements/ships needed to block the street of Messina and the Dardanelles could be lowered maybe

If the team want them open, the number of ships should definitly be lowered then and following another of your suggestion, time should be stretched out. ( actually I also had Crassus in mind before reading that threat, wouldn t be playable now. )

If there was a vote I would choose to lock the straights but it's the team's choice and I will get along withit

bob.
General

Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:57 pm

This is an old thread but I have a question about this playing the Punic War in BOR: is it possible to blockade this strait? I have a huge fleet in the sea province between Rhegium and Messana but the Romans crossed it anyway.

PhilThib

Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:25 pm

The Romans can make a night crossing (game option) once in the game...the rest of the time, a fleet will block the straits

bob.
General

Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:01 pm

They were perfectly able to cross the strait three times when I had my 1000 strength navy in the sea province.. maybe the AI gets some special rules? Or what could I possibly be doing wrong?

Franciscus

Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:27 am

We will investigate this, it seems that in fact the blockade of the straits is not working as intended...

Regards

Return to “Help to improve AJE”