Erik
Conscript

AI inactive after switching faction. WAD?

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:41 am

(Playing BOR Quick fix 1.02a)

Hello, and thanks for a great game!

In my latest game as Rome in the long Punic war scenario I noticed Carthage was unable to handle the Numidians. I took control of Carthage through the Load Game interface and fought a two year or so campaign with Carthage finally defeating the Numidians. During that time the Roman side was inactive and didn't do anything. I then switched back to Rome and ended up with the Carthaginian AI being inactivated. At the end of each turn I get the option to revert Carthage to the AI (the same happened with Rome when I played Carthage), but it has no effect, the AI continues to be inactive. Is this working as designed (see attached screenshot)?

I have three things I would like to ask for help with:

1. Please look into the issue with AI being inactive when switching factions (screenshot).

2. Is there some way to edit the save game (Roma Punic war.rar) to make the Carthaginian AI active so that I can continue playing?

3. Please have a look at the other save game (Carthage.rar). The Carthaginian AI seems unable to defeat the Numidians even though it has a very powerful stack of Iberian and Celtic mercenaries sitting in Gades.
3.1. Shouldn't the AI use that force in the war?
3.2. Is the ability of Carthage to recruit unit after unit of Iberian and Cetlic mercenaries by decision unbalanced? The Iberian mercs are almost as strong as a Legion and comes very cheap.

Thank you!
Attachments
Carthage.rar
(2.4 MiB) Downloaded 209 times
Roma Punic war.rar
(1.23 MiB) Downloaded 189 times
BOR AI inactive.JPG

Erik
Conscript

Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:34 pm

Any support on this? Please?

Pocus

Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:02 pm

The AI won't be inactive if you answer yes to the pop-up, the AI will on the contrary takes over the turn. Did you get the impression the AI was not active? This might be because she was on the defence, but since the feature is there, the AI always succeeded in taking over a turn.

The AI is slower and less focused than a player. For you it appears she can't defeat Numidians, but perhaps only time is needed, or perhaps we can make her more aggressive in this particular area, it really depends of the perceived ratio of power. Are you certain the Carthaginians are much stronger overall? Perhaps she is only trying for a status-quo is the advantage is not clear. Remember, AIs are more conservative than players usually (much more prudent, even shy).

For the balance cost issues, you should plead your case in the help improve AJE subforum, there is surely pro and con to the situation. Now, perhaps this is perhaps only an oversight of the Historical Team, I would not know.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Bohémond

Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:16 pm

Hello,

1 &2 ; AI switching side issue ;

Open BOR/Settings/GameRules

Change

// AI takes over if ord file is missing
aiDoTakeOver = 0

By

aiDoTakeOver = 1

3 ; Added to the Designer Todo List

Regards

Edit ; I do not see the Pocus answer while answering
Marco, perché vai così forte in salita?» «Per abbreviare la mia agonia.

Erik
Conscript

Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:24 pm

Bohémond wrote:Hello,

1 &2 ; AI switching side issue ;

Open BOR/Settings/GameRules

Change

aiDoTakeOver = 0

By

aiDoTakeOver = 1

Thank you, that fixed it!

Perhaps it should be turned on by default.. ;)

Pocus

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:05 am

Good catch Bohémond. This is active by default in the code, so the setting must has been switched off in your game.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General

Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:36 pm

I just checked in my game, and there the setting was also on 0 (zero), while I never consciously switched off this setting.

So maybe the change came unintentionally with a patch?

Anyway, I also set it to 1 now.

Return to “AJE Technical support / Aide technique”