Agesilaus
Corporal

Constant crashes

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:11 pm

Hello, the game constantly crashes for me. Each time it does, it either gives me a random error message, or it generates a message telling me to come here and post my log file and save game. I just experienced a crash five minutes ago that contained that message, so I have attached me log file and save game to this post.

I think I'm going to put down AJE for a while because the crashes occur every 4 or so turns. Good luck with the patch and I look forward to trying it out.

[ATTACH]20211[/ATTACH]
Attachments
crashing.rar
(2.35 MiB) Downloaded 244 times

Pocus

Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:43 am

According to your log, it seems a memory problem. This comes down to the video driver that is not able to flush out the memory used by the video card and so graphics pile up in memory until your video card says 'enough is enough!'. Paradoxically, new video drivers may not offer proper support for older DirectX versions (9.0c and below). This problem has started to surface with Vista.

What you can do, if not already done, is to reduce the demand on the video card, like using the leftmost checkbox in the 'Max texture size'. There are others means. One of the 'painful' way is to save, quit and reload the game every x turns. This is clearly a work around, but sadly because of a lousy legacy support from drivers, it may be the only solution for you (we can also refund you if you bought at our website).

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Agesilaus
Corporal

Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:28 am

Hah, no, I'm not looking for a refund. It's so rare that good, Classically-themed games come out that I'm not going to give up on this one. The Spartacus scenario and the scenarios dealing with the mithridatic wars all work well. I've played Spartacus campaigns from start to finish with 0 crashes, so it's confusing to me that there's a problem with the driver. Do the scenarios that play well simply use less memory? What also confuses me is that other AGEOD titles do not have this problem (I have rare crashes in Revolution Under Siege, and I don't think I've ever had a crash in Birth of America II).

At any rate, I installed an updated set of drivers, so perhaps the problem will cure itself (probably not, though, I understand). The game auto-saves after every turn, too, so there's no harm done in the long run. When the new patch comes out and balances the combat better I'll return to the game.

Pocus

Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:59 pm

for people having crashes related to memory, it can happen when the map switch to winter in big parts, or when a lot of the playing surface is used. Spartacus scenario is rather small, so no crash.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

76mm
Conscript

Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:56 am

This game crashes every 5-6 turns for me, it has become a huge turn off. The last several lines of the log read:
9:06:15 [Critical ] TScriptEngine.Parse Exception caught: Mémoire insuffisante while parsing line 26715 :
9:06:15 [Critical ] THost.GenerateTurnFiles Exception caught: Mémoire insuffisante
9:06:15 [Error ] THost.PostHostProcess Exception caught: Mémoire insuffisante DebugStep: 450
9:06:15 [Critical ] TGroup.pStartRegion 863776892 not on main map
9:06:15 [Critical ] TGameSim.ExportMilitary Exception caught, ExportStep: GroupAutoUpdate Pompeius 863776892 Violation d'accès à l'adresse 0041BF15 dans le module 'AJE.exe'. Lecture de l'adresse 00000240
9:06:15 (Reporting) Renderer unexpected exception Mémoire insuffisante try: -1384 Prep'ing Slave CS_Flag_fleet3.png
9:06:15 (Reporting) Main unexpected exception TApplication , Mémoire insuffisante try: -837

Gee, I wonder why videocard manufactuers don't put more effort into supporting the 0.1% of games like AJE? Frankly, I would expect the game's developers to consider videocard support when bringing out a game.

Pocus

Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:01 pm

Sorry for the problem, but all PC games are plagued with technical issues, even the so called AAA titles where the spending on marketing amounts to a dozen time the whole cost of niche products like AJE. Check the technical problem forum of large companies if you don't believe.

When it happens to you (or to anyone, me included, as a player), it is clear this is super annoying. But AJE for the vast majority of people is super stable. So we will try to find out a solution or work around your problem, but it is not possible to guarantee that our games will run for 100% of users, that would be a lie.

Asking that we spend months changing the DirectX library is not realistic either.
Cost aside, you can be sure that if it fixes your particular problem, then another player will have a new problem. Perhaps, he will then have a problem whereas with the old library, he did not... Again, that's the
PC curse... So many hardwares.

That said, we can check your settings and see if a configuration can help stabilize the game. If that's not the case, we can refund you, rest assured (if you bought from us, if not you must ask where you bought the game, sure).

76mm
Conscript

Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:22 pm

I am hoping to avoid a refund, I'd like to like this game. That said, I have many games, including lots of very large games, and this is the only one that I have a stability problem with, and the problem is rather severe. Very frustrating...

Pocus

Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:55 am

You can reduce the video memory load by checking the left most checkbox in the option 'Max Texture Size' (options window, main menu). Also (and paradoxically), try using only 25% of main RAM, with the option 'Memory Usage'.

76mm
Conscript

Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:00 pm

I've tried both those options, hopefully it will work.

I should mention though, that when I installed the patch it crashed my computer hard, I got the blue screen of death, which I've never seen on a Windows 7 computer before, and then I had to reboot in safe mode. I retried the patch after rebooting from safe mode into normal mode, but I have to say that this is by far the most unstable game that I've ever purchased.

Pocus

Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:00 am

You did crash while installing the patch or when playing the patched game? I can 'understand' the later, if there is a video driver compatibility problem with the directX library we use (that is not using latest directX, right... ). If this is the former, then I don't understand how it can be, as the installer is not the game, but a Windows application named Inno Setup, used by hundreds of companies, just a plain, standard application that follow a script to delete, copy, move files...

76mm
Conscript

Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:37 pm

It crashed as soon as I clicked on the exe to install the patch. I haven't had much of a chance to play the patched game yet.

Pocus

Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:43 pm

Must be the file which is corrupted then, the patch is made using a widespread software called Inno Setup, I can't see how the game engine is involved in this trouble.

czert2
Brigadier General

Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:24 pm

It is on plan to bring suport for directX 11 to engine ? it should theroreticaly fix many problems with Dx 9, and if some problems will be with Dx 11, Dx 9 can work instead of it.

Pocus

Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:58 am

Ultimately yes, but we lack the freelance for that, we had someone, but his availability is very low these months. So don't hold your breath for AACW2.

Return to “AJE Technical support / Aide technique”