Zardoz
Corporal

Naval combat from blockaded ports.

Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:00 pm

Hmmm... I'm assuming that my naval force in a blockaded port can just sail out and engage the blockading forces.

Or are they restricted in the same way as besieged land forces where they can only sally out in support of an external attacking force?

I can see why this might be restricted as a defeat could move them to a neighbouring sea region rather than back into the harbour - which would get them out of the blockade just as I want.

Also, I take it that there is no way to "run the blockade" i.e. if I put them on green/green and "evade combat" is there some probability that they could escape by evasion?

cheers

Tony

Durk

Re: Naval combat from blockaded ports.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:29 am

Because the opposing naval force is not in the same regions (as is the besieging army), you can sortie. If you wish to take some land elements, you must use the 'evade combat' option, green/green is not necessary but can be useful for the naval action.
You will likely retreat back into the besieged city if you lose the naval combat, but if you are using evade combat you must might slip by depending upon the outcome of the probability roll.

Zardoz
Corporal

Re: Naval combat from blockaded ports.

Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:03 pm

Excellent summary as usual, thanks Durk.

One other thing to note is that the wego system can allow the land and sea battles to interact in a favourable way. My fleet loaded with my land forces sailed out. Then the enemy land forces seized the town which meant that, following the sea battle, my fleet could not retreat back into the harbour and ended up in the next sea zone. Escape achieved!

cheers

Tony

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”