SullyRob
Civilian

advice for beginners

Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:12 pm

So I got Alea Jacte est and all its DLC a few days ago and I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on what was the best scenario to start on for beginners to AGEOD games like this? I know its a pretty newbie question but the advice would be appreciated since this game doesn't give a difficulty rank with the scenarios like most of the AGEOD games. Thanks.

Durk

Re: advice for beginners

Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:04 am

You have chosen a great game. One of the ones I love to play. You might have some challenges ahead of you as you figure out this game.
There are two very different methods to learn this game. One is to play against AI and see how you do. The other is to take control of both factions and learn the game even more quickly. Your choice.

If you know the wars of the Roman era, start with a situation you know from your history. As this game is so good at replicating historical situations, you will learn more quickly.

If the Roman era is mostly new to you, start with the most famous Roman civil war, Caesar versus Pompey. It has all the game elements. If playing AI, play as Caesar. If playing both sides, enjoy.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:13 am

SullyRob wrote:So I got Alea Jacte est and all its DLC a few days ago and I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on what was the best scenario to start on for beginners to AGEOD games like this? I know its a pretty newbie question but the advice would be appreciated since this game doesn't give a difficulty rank with the scenarios like most of the AGEOD games. Thanks.

I'd suggest start with either Marius in his civil war with Sulla or the Vespasians in the 4 Emperors scenario.

Both these are the dominant faction (the scenarios are realistic rather than balanced) so you should get a win but in both you will need to learn key game mechanics and concepts.

With Vespesian the challenge is to learn how to convert the game 'currencies' - money. morale, engagement pts - to get enough to release the Danubian legions. This forces a nice degree of planning and careful use of the regional cards and decisions. Don't be too quick to pull the Eastern legions west or you will have major problems.

With Sulla you'll come to appreciate the difference that a good commander makes. It will also give you a feel for how the non-Roman factions fight - the Pontics appear scary so you need to find the right ground (ie where frontage is limited) to fight them on.

Also both are relatively quick to play so if it all goes wrong, well easy to restart and try a different tack.

Another good starting point is Spartacus - relatively low unit density but you will have to deal with the frustration of sieges without legions and an army made up of a range of unit types.

Durk

Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:18 am

Well, loki is right, Marius versus Sulla is a great learning scenario.

Kitano1314
Private

Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:49 pm

Hi, i learned by playing the birth of rome scenarios, It includes a couple of games with a very low number of turns and a small map area. These can be completed in 30-60 mins and i guarantee you wil immeadiatly want to replay it and try out a different aproach.

You will also need to refer to the manual alot so make sure it is open while you play.

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”