Stumbl
Civilian

Yet another new user thread :-)

Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:32 pm

Hello , all O' Y'all, good to meetcha.

I've just gotten several of the AGE games from a humble bundle (at a remarkably low price , you may want to take a look)
I've started wandering around here and am hopeful I will fit in.

I'm not really sure what I've gotten myself into, but I've been having a great time so far.
I didn't even know these games COULD be modded.
Can Scenarios be created as well?

I look forward to talking with you all , and hope I can provide as much enjoyment here as I receive.

Y'all have a Great Day!
Make a Mess

Durk

Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:00 am

Welcome to the forum. These games are amazing and totally worth you spending time and thought in playing them.

PBEM adds a nice dimension you may wish to explore.

Yes, modded and new scenarios created as a mod. The AGEOD wiki has some helpful pages as to how to do this, not that I understand any of the 'how to do.'

deidaraakatski
Sergeant

Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:46 am

Welcome, and nice to meet you.

If you have a smart phone, a gmail, and a good internet connection, I highly advise you take some of the manuals from your favorite ageod games, upload them to google drive, and with your smart phone (if you have google drive installed on it) to tick the "availible offline" (so you don't need to use data to read them) now whenever you are waiting for an appointment or whatever, you can read the manual on the go which is very useful if you aren't motivated to do it on your spare time. :) This was very helpful for me when I was learning how to play the game, now I barely have to look through the event log nor spend 30 minutes per turn. I just start playing, knowing what to do and what's going on, and have been winning some of the grand scenarios presented in these wonderful games. Good luck, have fun ! ^^
Revolution Under Siege Gold To End All Wars Espana 1936 Wars of Napoleon Civil War II Alea Jacta Est Birth of America II: Wars in America Thirty Years' War Pride of Nations Rise of Prussia Gold

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:20 am

Stumbl wrote:Hello , all O' Y'all, good to meetcha.

I've just gotten several of the AGE games from a humble bundle (at a remarkably low price , you may want to take a look)
I've started wandering around here and am hopeful I will fit in.

I'm not really sure what I've gotten myself into, but I've been having a great time so far.
I didn't even know these games COULD be modded.
Can Scenarios be created as well?

I look forward to talking with you all , and hope I can provide as much enjoyment here as I receive.

Y'all have a Great Day!
Make a Mess

welcome

modding is relatively easy for all the AGE games. Basically think of it as something you can do at one of three levels:

a) you believe that general XXXX is underpowered, well you can change his/her stats, same goes for any unit type, impact of terrain and key game rules;
b) you want something to happen (an event) that is not in the base game - or you don't like how its modelled in the base game
c) you want to create a new scenario

Each of these takes a different level of engagement with the process.

For (a) go to the directory \[AGE game]\Gamedata - of the sub directories the most useful are \units and \models. Open the file you want to change in notepad, make your changes and delete the 'cache' file in the directory (so your changes take effect in the game). Of course back up. Many of the game rules are in \Settings - of those files the main one is 'game logic'.

For (b) find the events in \Events. In AJE each scenario has its own file (in other games often the different scenarios are in different sub folders), either find the event you want to change or add a new one. This is more fiddly, as you need to learn the syntax (the AGEWiki helps), often you can find a similar event and just modify it. While its a different game there has been more discussion of event modding in the Pride of Nations sub-forum (and the issues are similar across most AGE games0.

For (c), its really a case of putting together all the above, plus creating set up files and scenario rules. Time consuming so best to start your modding career with the more straightforward stuff.

To be honest, I have never felt the need to mod AJE as the scenarios work as designed. The longer games (of which Pride of Nations is the biggest), probably do need some twiddling as a game develops.

have fun :)
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

Taillebois
General of the Army

Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:25 pm

Loki, are there any user made scenarios?

Stumbl
Civilian

Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:55 pm

Loki , great post , thanks for taking the time for me , and thank you all for the welcome!

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:46 am

Taillebois wrote:Loki, are there any user made scenarios?

I guess you could call all the Spanish scenarios 'user-made' and I think that could apply to the Parthian wars too. Just that AGEOD incorporated them into the basic game which generates a bit of revenue for all that effort?

I'm not sure that anyone has produced complete scenarios since the very early period after release and most of those seem to be unlocking an AI faction and perhaps fleshing out the events?

Problem is even that takes a lot of work
AJE The Hero, The Traitor and The Barbarian
PoN Manufacturing Italy; A clear bright sun
RoP The Mightiest Empires Fall
WIA Burning down the Houses; Wars in America; The Tea Wars

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”