vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

In Hannibal, what do the Carthaginians hae to do to raise troops in Italy?

Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:21 am

I am enjoying an incredible game as Carthage, in the 219 scenario.

I have taken Tarentum and a few other areas in Southern Italy, but I have no Italian troops that I can recruit. Hannibal was able to recruit a number of Italian troops from this area, such as the Bruttians.

What do the Carthaginians have to do in order to be able to recruit Italian troops?

Thanks,

Vaalen

arsan

Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:21 am

Trash a couple roman armies so Roman morale goes bellow 85 and you will see how several southern italian tribes change to your side when Hannibal stay around ;)

Temgesic
Lieutenant

Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:39 am

If i remember correctly they get it by events.
But im pretty sure you should be able to recruit "Bruttian legion" or what they are called again.
Think you need to own Croton and you will be able to recruit them. Not sure though since i haven´t played thte scenario in a while and am in a middle of campaign of it now :P Muuttines died in the battle of Emporiae :crying:
One of the best commanders in the game dead so early! Guess if i swore and screamed at my computer when i saw that haha.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:57 pm

thank you, Arsan and Temgesk.

That is very helpful.

Best Wishes,

Vaalen

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:17 pm

I'm still working on an event list for the Second Punic War. Eventually I'll finish it... It is almost done.

Here is an excerpt that may help:

Hannibal in Italy - The first time Hannibal arrives in the Italia area Carthage will recieve 1NM and 10EP.

Betrayal of Tarentum - Starting in 217, if Hannibal is in the Italia area, Carthage will have the option to cause the Betrayal of Taerntum for 20EP. Along with the full defection of Tarentum and her forces Carthage will gain 1NM. Rome will lose 1NM.

Capua Betrays Rome - Starting in March of 218 if Hannibal is the Italia area and Carthage has at least 115NM, and at least 5 units next to Capua, and Rome has less than 85NM there will be a 40% chance each turn to trigger the betrayl of Capua. Along with the full defection of Capua, Carthage will gain 1NM and a small force in Capua. Rome will lose 1NM.

Lucania Joins - Starting in September of 216 if Hannibal is the Italia area and Carthage has at least 115NM, and Rome has less than 85NM there will be a 60% chance each turn to trigger Lucania Joins. This will cause Carthage to gain control of Paestum. They will also gain one unit there and another in the build pool.

Bruttium Joins - Starting in September of 217 if Hannibal is in the Italia area and Carthage has at least 115NM and Rome has less than 85NM there will be a 80% chance each turn to trigger Bruttium Joins. This will cause Carthage to gain control of a newly created structure in Hipontum. They will also gain three units of Pedites and two generals in a region near Hipontum. One Pedites will also become available in the build pool.

Samnite Reinforce Hannibal - Starting in September of 217 if Hannibal is the Italia area and Carthage has at least 115NM and Rome has less than 85NM there will be a 80% chance each turn to trigger Samnite Reinforce Hannibal. This will cause Carthage to gain control of Beneventum. They will gain a small force there. Two militiae will also be added to the build pool.

arsan

Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:42 pm

That event list proyect seems very interesting!!

By the way, do you have around information on the Hannibal gets old event date and requirements?
I'm playing rome on PBEM and it seems he will never get old! ;)
we are nearing 210 and he's still young and able :(

Temgesic
Lieutenant

Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:57 am

Cardinal Ape wrote:I'm still working on an event list for the Second Punic War. Eventually I'll finish it... It is almost done.

Here is an excerpt that may help:

Hannibal in Italy - The first time Hannibal arrives in the Italia area Carthage will recieve 1NM and 10EP.

Betrayal of Tarentum - Starting in 217, if Hannibal is in the Italia area, Carthage will have the option to cause the Betrayal of Taerntum for 20EP. Along with the full defection of Tarentum and her forces Carthage will gain 1NM. Rome will lose 1NM.

Capua Betrays Rome - Starting in March of 218 if Hannibal is the Italia area and Carthage has at least 115NM, and at least 5 units next to Capua, and Rome has less than 85NM there will be a 40% chance each turn to trigger the betrayl of Capua. Along with the full defection of Capua, Carthage will gain 1NM and a small force in Capua. Rome will lose 1NM.

Lucania Joins - Starting in September of 216 if Hannibal is the Italia area and Carthage has at least 115NM, and Rome has less than 85NM there will be a 60% chance each turn to trigger Lucania Joins. This will cause Carthage to gain control of Paestum. They will also gain one unit there and another in the build pool.

Bruttium Joins - Starting in September of 217 if Hannibal is in the Italia area and Carthage has at least 115NM and Rome has less than 85NM there will be a 80% chance each turn to trigger Bruttium Joins. This will cause Carthage to gain control of a newly created structure in Hipontum. They will also gain three units of Pedites and two generals in a region near Hipontum. One Pedites will also become available in the build pool.

Samnite Reinforce Hannibal - Starting in September of 217 if Hannibal is the Italia area and Carthage has at least 115NM and Rome has less than 85NM there will be a 80% chance each turn to trigger Samnite Reinforce Hannibal. This will cause Carthage to gain control of Beneventum. They will gain a small force there. Two militiae will also be added to the build pool.

Hope it get finished soon, becuase that sounded really interesting! And i will try it out immediatly when released ;)

Bohémond

Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:37 pm

arsan wrote:That event list proyect seems very interesting!!

By the way, do you have around information on the Hannibal gets old event date and requirements?
I'm playing rome on PBEM and it seems he will never get old! ;)
we are nearing 210 and he's still young and able :(

Firing conditions for Hannibal gets old events are ;

Minimum Date ; January -211
Probability = 25% per turn.

Regards
Marco, perché vai così forte in salita?» «Per abbreviare la mia agonia.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:04 pm

After, taking Arsan's great advice and hunting Roman armies to get their morale down to eighty five, I won a Cannae type victory against a huge Roman army. When the turn finished processing, two events fired,.

The first event was that I got the Bruttians as an ally. Two stacks of three strong peditatus units each appeared at Capua, where my main army was, each with a leader. Though a recruitable infantry unit showed up as a build possibility, there was no place to build it, perhaps because the Romans still held Croton.

The second event got the Samnites to join me. Beneventum became Carthaginian territory, and I received a stack of two large Samnite infantry units, and an excellent cavalry unit. The city of Beneventum had a Samnite militia unit. No leaders, two recruitable militia units.

The next turn, I finished off the pitiful remnants of the once huge Roman army, After the turn processed, my main army, which had been ordered to chase the Roman remnants, was in Capua. And an event fired where Capua joined me, with an army of four units, including hoplites, cavalry, and peditus.. And I had the city and the province.

and, on the following turn, the Lucanians revolted, giving me Paestum, a large Peditus unit, a militia unit, and two recruitable units. and a new Bruttian town called Hipontum appeared, in the area next to Croton. And the Lucanian province of Consentia appeared, between Croton and Metapontum.
And a massive revolt of natives broke out over all the roman held areas in Scicily, and the Romans lost some cities.

While I really like Cardinal Apes idea, some of those events, or something close to them, are already in the game.

I love this game!

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:07 pm

Bohémond wrote:Firing conditions for Hannibal gets old events are ;

Minimum Date ; January -211
Probability = 25% per turn.

Regards

Playing as Rome, i have seen this event fire each time, usually in two eleven or two ten.

arsan

Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:32 pm

Thanks for the info! Then hannibal must be in the brink of getting old in my game! At last!!! Those past 8 years have been a nightmare for rome... Hope things improve a little from now on!
But maybe it's too late... Rome is under siege since long time ago... I fear losing rome may be game over for me...

Valeen,
What captain orso posted were a list of the events already in game, not new events he was planning to add. :)

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:18 pm

arsan wrote:Thanks for the info! Then hannibal must be in the brink of getting old in my game! At last!!! Those past 8 years have been a nightmare for rome... Hope things improve a little from now on!
But maybe it's too late... Rome is under siege since long time ago... I fear losing rome may be game over for me...

Valeen,
What captain orso posted were a list of the events already in game, not new events he was planning to add. :)

Thank you for the explanation, now I understand

And do not lose heart, my friend, Hannibal could lose his edge any turn now, and Scipio Africanus is on the way. And Scipio Africanus is better than a diminished Hannibal, I know, I have beaten the diminished Hannibal with Scipio Africanus every time they met.

Remember, the Romans are never so much to be feared, as when they have the most to fear.

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:35 pm

Yes, those events are already in the game. No modding, just documenting.

There are a lot of events in Hannibal compared to other ageod games. The events are not just fluff, flavor ones, either. Most of them have a significant effect.

In my first play I kept getting the reoccurring thought, 'I wish I had known that earlier.' That got me wanting to create an event list. Once I looked at the events and realized how much they add to the game, I knew I had to share the knowledge. It wouldn't be fair in a PBEM match if both players didn't have equal access to the events.

For example: Did you know that Carthage has the potential to earn $500 each year via trade? The manual only briefly mentions trade, but nothing in-depth. Check it out:

Carthage Mare Internum Commercius Trade - Mare Internum Commercius collects on February each year. It has a variable income depending on the number of transport ships in the region. 20 or less ships earns 200$, 21 to 50 will earn 300$, 51 or more will earn 500$.

I'd be done with it by now if I kept proper notes. After getting back from vacation, it is really tough to pick up where I left off. Can't remember which files I did or did not complete. And that event chain about the marriage of Syphax and Shophonisbe is super confusing.

Back to getting yourself some reinforcements as Carthage - The single biggest influx of troops after the initial Cisalpina uprising is:

Gallic Levies - Starting in year 210 if Hasdrubal Barca and at least three units are in the Narbonenis area it will trigger Gallic Levies. This will give Carthage a huge force (20 units) in the region of Brigantio.

Straight Arrow
General

Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:17 pm

Most excellent appetizers Cardinal Ape; I look forward to the main course.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth.

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:20 pm

I don't have BOR, but I want to ask: is there an event for the First Macedonian War?

Franciscus

Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:20 pm

Thank you Cardinal Ape for your work.

It was an original intention of mine (back when the original AJE was released) to make such a list for every scenario. But I never had enough time for that - it is really a HUGE task, there are hundreds of events and options out there... :bonk:
I apologize, but I couldn't do it...

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Franciscus

Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:25 pm

enf91 wrote:I don't have BOR, but I want to ask: is there an event for the First Macedonian War?

I mean HAN, right, as the First Macedonian war was during the times of the 2nd Punic War ?

Yes, Phillip of Macedonia can become an ally of Hannibal and even send an expeditionary force to Carthage, but it is really a "side-show" of the main war events.

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:24 am

Cardinal Ape, thank you for those very interesting tips. I thought I knew the game well, yet I knew none of those things.

It you have the time, and it is not too much trouble, I wonder if you would consider writing an article listing the other things you have learned about the game in a dedicated thread, as so many of these things are not documented.

I am really looking forward to your mod!

Best Wishes,

Vaalen

Bohémond

Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:50 am

Technically, there are 11312 Events in the AJE series (AJE, HAN, BOR, PAR). I will say roughly 25% do impact gameplay.

Regards
Marco, perché vai così forte in salita?» «Per abbreviare la mia agonia.

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:59 am

Bohémond wrote:Technically, there are 11312 Events in the AJE series (AJE, HAN, BOR, PAR). I will say roughly 25% do impact gameplay.

Regards

that is an amazing number. The AGE series, is, without doubt, the finest group of ancient warfare games ever made. Thank you for creating this magnificent series of games, which has taught me so much and has given me so much enjoyment.

Straight Arrow
General

Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:29 pm

vaalen wrote:that is an amazing number. The AGE series, is, without doubt, the finest group of ancient warfare games ever made. Thank you for creating this magnificent series of games, which has taught me so much and has given me so much enjoyment.

Amem!
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth.

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”