Durk

BOR First Punic War 264 BC

Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:59 pm

I have just finished two games of the BOR First Punic War 264 BC start managing to lose as both Rome and Carthage. Just before the end of the 284 turns, Carthage rose from “certain” defeat to dispatch my Roman army. After only about 2/3 of that number of turns on the other side, the Roman landing tipped the Carthaginian NM into surrender.

This scenario is surprisingly challenging each and every turn despite the main action centering on siege warfare prior to automatic siege engines for the Romans. Only Syracuse possesses a mobile siege tower, so Rome's first action must be to win Syracuse's alliance from Carthage.

Thoroughly well designed naval and land combat and action. The economic side requires careful planning in order to sustain the essential supply wagons and to build the fleets.

Random
AGEod Veteran

Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:44 pm

I agree. The First Punic War in BOR represents a challenge for both sides. I have won once as Rome and been defeated as Carthage and am currently losing as Rome. I have repeatedly beaten and now dominate the Carthaginian Navy but am deadlocked in Sicily being unable to take Depranum and Panormous. The Carthaginian AI never invaded the Italian peninsula in strength so I never got to take advantage of the additional legions that come from the Dictator regional decision and without those extra forces I cannot seem to defeat Hanno's army. Attempts to take the war to Africa have ended in disaster and with about 110-turns to go I am well behind the VP curve.

I would like to increase the size of the Army and have built every available unit while still having vast sums of money saved up I cannot do so. However, all things considered that is probably not unreasonable. Am also using the HARDE mod, which makes Rome's task much more difficult and effectively limits me to one major campaign per year while making continuous winter operations typically very costly.

Numahr's HARDE mod can be found here: Harsher-Attrition-Realism-and-Decisive-Engagements

First Punic War is a very good scenario that gets lost as the crowd flocks to Hannibal and Scipio Africanus in the Second Punic War even while they forget the scenario of the war that shaped their parents lives.

-C

Temgesic
Lieutenant

Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:08 pm

Random wrote:I agree. The First Punic War in BOR represents a challenge for both sides. I have won once as Rome and been defeated as Carthage and am currently losing as Rome. I have repeatedly beaten and now dominate the Carthaginian Navy but am deadlocked in Sicily being unable to take Depranum and Panormous. The Carthaginian AI never invaded the Italian peninsula in strength so I never got to take advantage of the additional legions that come from the Dictator regional decision and without those extra forces I cannot seem to defeat Hanno's army. Attempts to take the war to Africa have ended in disaster and with about 110-turns to go I am well behind the VP curve.

I would like to increase the size of the Army and have built every available unit while still having vast sums of money saved up I cannot do so. However, all things considered that is probably not unreasonable. Am also using the HARDE mod, which makes Rome's task much more difficult and effectively limits me to one major campaign per year while making continuous winter operations typically very costly.

Numahr's HARDE mod can be found here: Harsher-Attrition-Realism-and-Decisive-Engagements

First Punic War is a very good scenario that gets lost as the crowd flocks to Hannibal and Scipio Africanus in the Second Punic War even while they forget the scenario of the war that shaped their parents lives.

-C

That mod has been integrated in the patches if im not mistaken.

Random
AGEod Veteran

Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:38 pm

Temgesic wrote:That mod has been integrated in the patches if im not mistaken.

Perhaps but if so it does not seem to be included in any of the v1.05 patch documentation and they're usually pretty good at this sort of thing. The HARDE thread in the Modding forum makes no reference to it being included in the official patches so I would be interested to know where your information comes from.

-C

Temgesic
Lieutenant

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:11 pm

Random wrote:Perhaps but if so it does not seem to be included in any of the v1.05 patch documentation and they're usually pretty good at this sort of thing. The HARDE thread in the Modding forum makes no reference to it being included in the official patches so I would be interested to know where your information comes from.

-C

No it´s from an older patch not the newest. I think it was maybe 2-3 patches back. It was a high ranking member here on the forum who told me that the team integrated it, but right now i can´t remeber who it was sorry.

Random
AGEod Veteran

Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:27 am

Temgesic wrote:No it´s from an older patch not the newest. I think it was maybe 2-3 patches back. It was a high ranking member here on the forum who told me that the team integrated it, but right now i can´t remeber who it was sorry.

Unlikely since the HARDE thread originated on 21 September 2014 and the v1.04 patch was released in July 2014, well before the Mod publicly appeared. Besides there is no mention of the Mod or its features being incorporated in any of the previous updates according to the comprehensive change log for patches 1.02 through 1.04 that installed as BOR Updates.pdf and shipped with the v1.04 patch. One of the AJE development Team will have to weigh in with a definitive response but I suspect that you might have bad data and although you may be correct, I doubt it. Perhaps it was considered for v1.05 but as it really changes the game, full integration of HARDE was probably not in the cards.

-C

Franciscus

Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:43 am

Hi

No, HARDE mod was not integrated in any of the patches.

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Temgesic
Lieutenant

Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:38 pm

Franciscus wrote:Hi

No, HARDE mod was not integrated in any of the patches.

Regards

OK. THen maybe i confuse it with some other mod.
But someone told me that playing with that mod since it is outdated along with the new patch and such it could bring crashes and such to the game. Don´t know if it´s true or not but.

Franciscus

Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:43 pm

Temgesic wrote:OK. THen maybe i confuse it with some other mod.
But someone told me that playing with that mod since it is outdated along with the new patch and such it could bring crashes and such to the game. Don´t know if it´s true or not but.

I also can't answer for sure. I have not tried the mod myself

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”