CatoTheYounger
Sergeant

Hannibal Tor historians amazing job, attention to detail

Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:50 pm

Every time I am stumped by a decision about some details in the game, I research more and the ageod history department was way ahead of me. I had to laugh at another minor but quirky detail I noticed. Initially I thought I found a bug, then took a moment and got a big grin and chuckled to myself.

Gaius Flaminius Nepos is elected to Consul in march of 217 along with co-Consul Gaius Servilius Geminus. In the case of my particular game, they both take control of the two consular armies that I had sitting in Placentia. However, in the next month of April 217, Nepos now appears in Rome without his army of course and Scipio once again has control over his previous Consular army. Hovering the tool tip over both generals, I notice that Nepos is still Consul and Scipio is now Pro-Consul...But with Nepos army.

It is then that I recall when reading Livy's account of the war, that Gaius Flaminius Nepos failed to do the rituals that were expected to be performed to become a Consul. He simply headed north. The Senate of course was outraged and was in the process of recalling him. I'm guessing the game simulates the Senate demanding his return to Rome. He then could again proceed north and take the Army from Scipio, who I would then send to Spain with his brother.

Even more interesting is that in real life, the Senate never got to recall him because he took off so fast and was ambushed before they had a chance to communicate with him. But in the game, it is not automatic that he will be attacked that turn by Hannibal, so the game returns him to Rome. A very well thought out sprinkling of flavor that would be easy not to notice. We might not notice a lot of the ingredients in the cooking, but if they were not in there it wouldn't taste as good.

arsan

Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:38 pm

Nice catch! I haven't noticed it! :thumbsup:

Franciscus

Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:39 pm

Glad you notice it and enjoyed it.

ElNino (Stephane Parrin) has an amazing historic knowledge. Every consul and proconsul name and date of entry on "job" were painstakingly researched in every BOR and HAN scenario and then we tried to recreate history as best as we (and the game) permitted. We feel the end result is one of the more historic accurate game as is humanly possible to do :)

Many, many hours were spent doing this, I assure you...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CatoTheYounger
Sergeant

Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:48 pm

Well as you can see by the number of post recently, that not only have I just recently purchased and began to play this game, but it is my favorite war and is represented to a level in this game I am blown away by. This is the type of thing I appreciate, but never expect anybody to ACTUALLY put together this way. I am now anxious to purchase the original with the Marius and Sulla civil war, and eventually, BOR which has the 1st Punic war and the great Hamilcar, father of Hannibal.

And when I am back in the mood for Muskets......

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:45 pm

It is a very deep scenario. The war has a ton of events, most of them are hidden under the hood. In the early part of the war it can seem a bit slow and straight forward, but there is a whole horde of sub-factions waiting to commit treachery and revolt.

The Numidian event chain is rather crazy. I doubt most games make it to -204, which is a shame because it is a rather fun series of events.

PJJ
Captain

Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:06 pm

This is indeed a fantastic scenario.

I'm really hoping to see more ancient warfare from Ageod. If not in this series, then in a new one with an improved engine. There are still quite a few important conflicts of the ancient world that haven't been included in AJE. :)

Straight Arrow
General

Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:38 am

PJJ wrote:This is indeed a fantastic scenario.

I'm really hoping to see more ancient warfare from Ageod. If not in this series, then in a new one with an improved engine. There are still quite a few important conflicts of the ancient world that haven't been included in AJE. :)

Oh yes indeed -

I called forth the mighty army of Egypt with all its chariots and horses,

Kadesh, Hittites and bombastic boastings carved on temple walls,

The Assyrian came down like the wolf on the fold,

Hector fighting with Ajax before the walls of Troy,

Athenians charging the Persians at Marathon,

Thirty years of fratricide in the Peloponnesian War,

The march of the Ten Thousand,

Gaugamela and a runaway king,

Macedonian pikes and Hindu elephants,

And oh so many, many, many more.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth.

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”