boudi

Advices before starting a PBEM ?

Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:43 pm

As i never played AJE since few years ago and the 1.01 patch, witch advices can you give me before starting a PBEM game with the Caesar-Pompey scenario ? I never played it, even against AI. I'm playing Pompey side.

All advices are welcome, stategy, politic, economy, recruitement, naval warfare, traps to avoid... :)

Thanks by advance.

Durk

Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:37 am

Pompey is the harder side to play for a number of reasons. Caesar gets to build legions out of prisoners and also sell prisons more easily than Pompey can. Game events help Caesar, for instance, if he takes key cities in the Iberian Peninsula he gets bonus forces. So you have to frustrate Caesar's historical progress. Defend the west. Do not go east until you must. If you do end up defending in the east, play a delaying game.

The most successful Pompey player I have encountered used a hit and run strategy which relied upon a strong navy. First he threaten Rome, then withdrew his fleet to counter the conquest of Iberia. Once large Cesarean forces
were committed to Iberia, he brought his forces back into Italy with a couple of strong garrisons left behind. Once enough of Caesar force was committed in the defense of Rome. He retook Sicily, then abandoned that for Greece. Finally, he came back to Iberia to frustrate Caesar's attempt to win there.

Caesar must take Rome, Sicily and then the Iberian peninsula in order to win. If you can frustrate that goal, you will be ok. Losing these areas, you must hold Antioch. Egypt is much easier to defend so only needs a minimal force.

This is a quick and dirty reply, but buy a strong navy, staff it with good admirals and keep it in repair.

Pocus

Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:13 am

Hey, this good old Boudi :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Durk

Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:28 am

How is the new game going?

boudi

Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:01 pm

We just played less than 10 turns. Caesar tooks Rome in the first round, and Sicilia next by event. Pompey is in Spain. Juba's army is enabled, Massilia is under siege. i'm waiting for the 1st important battle...

Durk

Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:53 am

Excellent news. I assume you are taking Caesar to Spain next.

boudi

Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:27 pm

Unfortunatly i had to stop the game on turn 12.
I understood that i had a little, little chance to win with my navy.
And on turn 12, on a single battle, i loose 50% of the pompey's fleet, without any serious reason i think.
Sure the Caesarian admiral was a litlle bit more efficient than mine, but my fleet was a little bit stronger, and moreother in defensive mod. No reason for this disaster on sea.
As my fleet was my single advantage and half is allready under sea, i prefere to stop the game.

Ebbingford

Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:43 pm

I lost my entire fleet in a pbem of the First Punic War, I was Roman. :(
I managed to build it back up, and then my navy won the game for me.
So all is not as bad as it seems.
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:11 am

I would be very careful when playing against Ebbingford. Not because he is only invincible :D , he is very patient player that can turn every negative odds to his advantage with his experience. Great opponent.

ess1
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:03 pm

Baris wrote:I would be very careful when playing against Ebbingford. Not because he is only invincible :D , he is very patient player that can turn every negative odds to his advantage with his experience. Great opponent.

Cooerrr ;)

Ebbingford

Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:18 pm

Baris wrote:I would be very careful when playing against Ebbingford. Not because he is only invincible :D , he is very patient player that can turn every negative odds to his advantage with his experience. Great opponent.

Thank you for the compliment Baris, our games have been fun and played at a good speed :)
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”