Vincentius
Brigadier General

How to pass across cities without sieging ?

Fri May 23, 2014 3:33 pm

How can I pass across regions without sieging the first city I encounter ?
Italian videogamer (I love strategy games) :thumbsup:

Parcere subiectis et debellare superbos.
Os stulti contritio eius.
Hoc unum scio, me nihil scire.
Alea iacta est.
Mens sana in corpore sano.
Tu quoque, Brute, fili mi ?

PhilThib

Fri May 23, 2014 5:23 pm

Leave a covering force

Vincentius
Brigadier General

Fri May 23, 2014 8:15 pm

More suggestions ?

Alea iacta est.

Ebbingford

Fri May 23, 2014 8:20 pm

It depends, forts are there to stop armies just waltzing past.
Sometimes the evade order will work, I think a lot is down to how much cavalry you have. Without delving under the hood too much, that is the best I can do.
(I don't like to leave an enemy occupied city in my rear at the best of times.......)
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

casador
Conscript

Fri May 23, 2014 8:34 pm

Aw Vincent wrote:More suggestions ?

From my limited experience it could be very easily done by completely cavalry force with green/green orders. Apparantely their usefullness is limited (mainly I use them to scout).
Full stack with infantry and supplly etc - that another story. Very probably (almost always) your force will stop when entering region with the fort. Maybe your should just bypass fort? Although this is not always possible to do.

Vincentius
Brigadier General

Fri May 23, 2014 10:22 pm

I did this question because most of times I don't have the time to besiege each city, and then in the past lots of generals didn't siege all the cities they encouter

P.S. For example, if I want to go from Neapolis to Rome passing through Capua I can't because my army always stops at Capua

Alea iacta est.

Durk

Sat May 24, 2014 5:21 am

Well, understand what is meant by leaving a covering force might help solve your issue. If you have a force at a city and your moving force is on attack red, you will breeze right by.

JacquesDeLalaing
Colonel

Sat May 24, 2014 11:33 am

If I'm not mistaken this has been explained and discussed here (post #19 & 21). If your armies are stopped in their move by enemy cities, you need to consider the Zone-of-Control mechanism. From my understanding, there are two ways/conditions to move by enemy cities:

1) You need to have sufficient military control in your target-region adjacent to the region in which the enemy city is located, so that the zone of control points generated by the enemy presence do not prevent you from passing through.

2) Sending out a force to besiege the enemy city in advance also helps, as it will slowly increase your military control in the region (probably this is what PhilTib called "covering force"?), so that hopefully, by the time your main army arrives, you already have enough MC in order not to be blocked by the city.

I'm pretty sure that MC works on a daily basis, so a few days (of gaining military control) can make quite a difference. The game only seems to check whether a force can move on to the next once during a turn. So, if your force is blocked by the city on day 13, it will not try to move on at all. In this case, you'd need to have sufficient MC (either in the region with the city or the adjacent target-region) on day 13! Needless to say that turn-intervalls of a month are absolutely gruesome in this (and many other) respects.
[CENTER][color="#A52A2A"] S I L E S I A I N R U P T A[/color]
- a work-in-progress mod for Rise of Prussia - [/CENTER]

Vincentius
Brigadier General

Sat May 24, 2014 11:39 am

Yes but, most of times, even if I send a "covering force" in advance, as you say, then, when I pass with my principal army, it stops anyway.

Alea iacta est.

JacquesDeLalaing
Colonel

Sat May 24, 2014 11:43 am

Well, increasing military control takes some time. Unfortunately, you don't get to know the exact values at the time your main army checks whether it can move on (and its very hard to estimate in 30-days-turns). It depends on:

1) How many troops have you sent in advance? The more elements, the better for your military control.
2) How many days have they exerted their influence on military control? (how many days are they in advance of your main army?)
3) Do they have an aggressive stance (if not, MC will not change)? You also need to push away any enemy stacks that are in the countryside, otherwise you will not gain MC.

Personally, I would prefer method 1 (increase your MC in your target/waypoint-region ADJACENT to the region with the city).
[CENTER][color="#A52A2A"] S I L E S I A I N R U P T A[/color]

- a work-in-progress mod for Rise of Prussia - [/CENTER]

Vincentius
Brigadier General

Sat May 24, 2014 12:31 pm

JacquesDeLalaing wrote:Well, increasing military control takes some time. Unfortunately, you don't get to know the exact values at the time your main army checks whether it can move on (and its very hard to estimate in 30-days-turns). It depends on:

1) How many troops have you sent in advance? The more elements, the better for your military control.
2) How many days have they exerted their influence on military control? (how many days are they in advance of your main army?)
3) Do they have an aggressive stance (if not, MC will not change)? You also need to push away any enemy stacks that are in the countryside, otherwise you will not gain MC.

Personally, I would prefer method 1 (increase your MC in your target/waypoint-region ADJACENT to the region with the city).

Ok, thanks for the advices :)

Alea iacta est.

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Sun May 25, 2014 11:15 am

JacquesDeLalaing wrote:Needless to say that turn-intervalls of a month are absolutely gruesome in this (and many other) respects.

This so much. The game would be so much better with, say, 2 week turns.

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”