Jagger2013
General of the Army

Protection value of troops

Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:38 am

Protection : For each point of protection, the chance to receive damage is reduced by 10%.

The above quote is from Narwhals AAR and beginners guide which is excellent and highly recommended. Although I suspect the above quote is incorrect. It states that the protection value of a unit reduces damage by 10% for each point of protection. However I have noticed in both AJE and BOR that the most heavily armored troops have low values such as 1 or 0 while lightly or unarmored troops have values of 3 or 4 which doesn't match with the above statement. If the above statement is correct then the 3 or 4 protection value of light troops would mean they suffer less damage from attacks than heavily armored troops. So unless I am missing something, the unit protection values works differently than described above.

So does anyone know exactly how unit protection values function in combat?

arsan

Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:07 pm

Hi!
I think protection doesn't simulate armor but the troops possibility of avoiding getting hit in combat, that's why nimble troops that can outrun or evade enemy troops or that fight on open order and can more easily take cover or avoid arrows or javelins have higher protection than legionaries and other armored heavy foot.

Regarding Narwhal explanation you mention, i understand it as 10% chance per protection point of not being damaged at all after being hit, not a 10% reduction of the damage recieved.
But honestly, i don't have much insight of the ingame battle mechanics... i'm just guessing... :)

Regards!

Jagger2013
General of the Army

Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:22 pm

Thanks arsan! That makes sense. Just have to look at it from the right perspective.

Narwhal

Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Hello, indeed Arsan is right :

- Protection includes a big "getting out of the way" part, that's why Cavalry in all AGEOD games have a better protection [fast = hard to hit]
- That's -10% chance to be hit. Basically, you take the chance to hit and multiply it by 0,9 for each protection point. So Prot 2 would be 0.9 x 0.9 x hit chance.

Finally, remember it is only at range. There is no protection bonus in melee.

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”