Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General

Seleucia harbour

Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:51 pm

A few minor remarks after much fun with the Crassus scenario.

The Seleucia harbour symbol is painted on the Euphrates, but in reality it is located on the Tigris.

So the game treats it correctly, it is just confusing when the symbol is painted on the wrong side of the city.

The fact that the rebels in Seleucia and Babylonia are locked inside make it easy for the Parthians to just leave a token siege force while they go fight in the West, just waiting for the rebels to starve, without being threatened.

By the way, I played this scenario twice as Crassus, both times with historical results, ie. total annihilation by overconfidence in my Legions.

These Parthians can certainly fight.

arsan

Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:06 pm

The Seleucia port issue has already been fixed by Franciscus for the next patch :thumbsup:

Regarding the rebels... Can't you drag them out of the city on offensive posture to break the siege?? If the enemy forces besieging are too weak the can expel them and usually locked units get unlocked after a battle and they will be able to move around.
Haven't tried, but it should work, i think...
Regards!

Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General

Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:38 pm

I am misusing this small besieging force as Parth against the Roman AI, after I noticed playing as Roman that the besieged units were not able to sally forth to help the Roman relieve force.

And the Roman AI doesn't move them out either. It still takes a long time to starve the rebels, but in the end they fell.

So why do they have to be locked in the scenario? They are under siege, aren't they, and that should be enough for the scenario? Or is the light screening implied by the scenario designers?

Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General

Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:38 pm

After playing a bit longer as Parth against the Roman AI in the Crassus scenario, I still only saw small Roman forces, so I opened the AI side, and I saw that Crassus with all his legions is still sitting passive in Byzantium.

Is the AI unable to make a strategic movement towards the theatre of war?

Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General

Parthian World

Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:06 pm

The Parthian commanders have a property that they don't perform well outside the "Parthian World".

Is that only the brown area "Parthia & Media" in the "Grand Regions" overlay?
What about the green "Armenia" Grand Region, that includes the off-map box "Media"?

I am also confused about command penalties within the Parthian forces.
The colours are no help here, as there are light green "Greek" units that cause a command penalty to light green "Parthian" commanders, while dark green "Persian" forces don't, but purple "Oriental" forces do.

There are purple forces with an "ORI" type (probably oriental), but their commander has an "AZI" {?) type designation.

And the light green Hellenistic "HEL" forces are lead by a light green "PAR" commander (who has the "Greek Commander" property).

I think it would be highly enlightening if the scenario designer, or someone else who knows these things, wrote a tiny piece of text explaining the structure of the forces.

Franciscus

Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:39 pm

Hi

Regarding area command penalties, I personally dislike them, and they are out of my "league"

Maybe PhilThib or Bohémond could help with your doubts.

Regarding Roman passive AI, I have seen them attack...what were your settings ?

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

arsan

Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:52 pm

Hi!
According to the game files, Parthian World leaders won't have penalties when inside this theaters (check the Theather map filter to see them)

Parthian World
ListParams = §$Theater_Oriens|§$Theater_Mesopotamia|§$Theater_Persia|§$Theater_Caucasus
{/Area}

I would say they only suffer penalties on Asia Minor and Egypt (and of course on all the western parts of the map that are not playable on PAR scenarios.

Franciscus don't like Area restrictions at all ;)
I like them and think it helps making the game more historical, but i would like the ability tooltip to explain what Theaters are included on each "xxx World" ability so players would know how it works :coeurs:

Regarding command penalties, usually different color background units means penalty, but it's not always as easy... :bonk: It depends of how it has been arranged by the scenario designer based on historic data.
Parthians, Persinas, Osroene... all "green" units don't seem to have penalty. The greek mercenaries hired by the rebels on Crasus scenario seems to be an exception.
Regards

Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General

Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:26 pm

arsan wrote:Hi!
According to the game files, Parthian World leaders won't have penalties when inside this theaters (check the Theather map filter to see them)

Parthian World
ListParams = §$Theater_Oriens|§$Theater_Mesopotamia|§$Theater_Persia|§$Theater_Caucasus
{/Area}

I would say they only suffer penalties on Asia Minor and Egypt (and of course on all the western parts of the map that are not playable on PAR scenarios.

Let me check this:
I see the following grand regions (theatres):

- Egyptus & Nilus (brown)
- Oriens Magnus (pink) (Theater_Oriens)
- Asia Minor & Anatolia (light blue)
- Parthia & Media (brown) (Theater_Mesopotamia)
- Caucasus (light green) (Theater_Caucasus)
- Persia (off map brown boxes) (Theater_Persia)

arsan wrote:Franciscus don't like Area restrictions at all ;)
I like them and think it helps making the game more historical, but i would like the ability tooltip to explain what Theaters are included on each "xxx World" ability so players would know how it works :coeurs:

Yes, or make at least a sticky topic here with this and similar additional information about these scenario's.

arsan wrote:Regarding command penalties, usually different color background units means penalty, but it's not always as easy... :bonk: It depends of how it has been arranged by the scenario designer based on historic data.
Parthians, Persinas, Osroene... all "green" units don't seem to have penalty. The greek mercenaries hired by the rebels on Crasus scenario seems to be an exception.
Regards

I discovered new confusing combinations:
I see a Persian commander (dark green, PSA), (Darev II, **) with no command penalty over Parthian (light green, PAR) units, but a Parthian commander (light green, PAR), (Orodes II, ***) that has a command penalty over Persian (dark green, PSA) units.
Neither of them has a relevant special property.

arsan

Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:44 pm

Hi!
Check this thread for more info about what each "World" includes (starting on post six)
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?27603-Leader-Ability-Pontic-World&highlight=%A7%24Theater_Oriens
(not sure if there have been some changes or additions since the info on that thread was posted)

I was mistaken and the names on the files don't correspond exactly with the in game Theaters, but they are pretty similar.
Regards

Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General

Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:26 pm

Playing the Crassus scenario a few more times, I saw that the Roman AI did in fact move Crassus' army towards Parthia in the 3rd try. The first two times he just stayed passive in Byzantium.

I also discovered some anomalies with my Parthian river boats that I built in the South in Orchoe on the Euphrates. When I tried to move them North over the river, the path first showed 3 day, but then it changed to 6000 days, and then the path disappeared again. For several turns I didn't succeed in moving the fleet out of the harbour, but then I succeeded when I only ordered it to move 1 area away.

Is this related to previous reported bugs about travel times?

Franciscus

Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:17 pm

Yes, and it is fixed in public beta patch 1.03c

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General

Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:17 pm

Franciscus wrote:Yes, and it is fixed in public beta patch 1.03c

Regards

But I am using 1.03c, so something is not quite right yet.

Franciscus

Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:53 pm

Strange... :(
I will recheck it...

Can you post a save game ?

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Vincentius
Brigadier General

Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:04 pm

When does the patch 1.03c become official ?
Italian videogamer (I love strategy games) :thumbsup:

Parcere subiectis et debellare superbos.
Os stulti contritio eius.
Hoc unum scio, me nihil scire.
Alea iacta est.
Mens sana in corpore sano.
Tu quoque, Brute, fili mi ?

Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General

Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:10 pm

Strange, I went back a few turns to the point where it happened to me, but now it is working correctly.

I will keep an eye open, and return with a save when it happens again.

Franciscus

Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:54 pm

I Will check on my side, anyway (again)

Were you continuing a saved game started with previous patch ?

@ Aw: very soon ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General

Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:27 pm

No, I have started the Crassus scenario already 5 times with 1.03c, that is how fast I am losing on both sides :-)

Franciscus

Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:05 am

Further testing seems to indicate that although on first try there is no problem in moving ships along the rivers, if we go back a turn and replot the move, rarely the "thousand days" move can still appear, indeed... :(

Erik do you remember if by chance you only found the bug after going back a turn ?

Anyhow, issue reported to Pocus, waiting for feedback.

1.03c official on hold for now... :bonk:

Sorry and thanks for reporting...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Erik Springelkamp
Brigadier General

Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:07 am

When it occurred in my game, I was not going back, but I was playing straightforward against the AI. Probably more than 10 turns in one session.

But I may even have started a new game in this session after breaking off the previous one.

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”