Jagger2013
General of the Army

building level 2 forts/fortifications?

Fri May 03, 2013 7:20 pm

I see that I can build level 1 forts/fortifications but I don't see how I can upgrade a level 1 fort to a level 2 fort. Is it possible? If so, how do I go about it?

jimwinsor
General of the Army

Fri May 03, 2013 7:37 pm

It's not currently possible. Though I wouldn't mind seeing it as an option. I mean, if some current options take 2-3 years, why can't I build a level 2 fort in X years?
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
[CENTER][SIZE="1"](Click HERE for AAR)[/size][/CENTER]

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Fri May 03, 2013 8:18 pm

On the same topic, what are the requirements for building a fort? Apart from having a non-fortified province. Sometimes I've been able to build a fort, and at times not. I haven't been able to figure out what was difference between those armies.

Jagger2013
General of the Army

Sat May 04, 2013 4:31 pm

Thanks all. I wonder how long it took to build up to level

To build a fort, it costs 50k denari in the "decision mode". Although the explanation states it is for "rebuilding walls". Perhaps it is only for rebuilding destroyed forts. I haven't tried the option yet in "decision mode". Looking through the manual, using the "decision mode" is the only way to build a fort.

I am not sure yet what I think of forts. Around large armies, they are nothing but speed bumps unless you have a large army in them. And if you do have a large army, they end up starved and captured after some time. It does seem forts offer some supply advantages.

HanBarca
Corporal

Sun May 05, 2013 9:50 am

Jagger2013 wrote:Thanks all. I wonder how long it took to build up to level

To build a fort, it costs 50k denari in the "decision mode". Although the explanation states it is for "rebuilding walls". Perhaps it is only for rebuilding destroyed forts. I haven't tried the option yet in "decision mode". Looking through the manual, using the "decision mode" is the only way to build a fort.

I am not sure yet what I think of forts. Around large armies, they are nothing but speed bumps unless you have a large army in them. And if you do have a large army, they end up starved and captured after some time. It does seem forts offer some supply advantages.

Like any other defense system ever conceived. If you're looking for an invulnerable defense, try with force fields.

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Sun May 05, 2013 12:26 pm

Jagger2013 wrote: Looking through the manual, using the "decision mode" is the only way to build a fort.

It's also possible to build field fortifications with your troops. I'd like to know the exact requirements for that.

Jagger2013
General of the Army

Sun May 05, 2013 4:40 pm

"It's also possible to build field fortifications with your troops." You are right. I haven't found anything in the manual about it using a search but clicking on units, I see the "build fort" option available when you select a unit and then click the lightning bolt. I am not sure what are the requirements.

jimwinsor
General of the Army

Sun May 05, 2013 8:44 pm

There is a "Castrum" option and it will let you build a fort in a province without a city. I've never used it (who wants to defend a cityless province?) but it may come into usefulness in later yet to be designed scenarios (ie, campaigning in Germany).
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE="1"](Click HERE for AAR)[/size][/CENTER]

dans221
Sergeant

Sun May 05, 2013 9:03 pm

jimwinsor wrote:There is a "Castrum" option and it will let you build a fort in a province without a city. I've never used it (who wants to defend a cityless province?) but it may come into usefulness in later yet to be designed scenarios (ie, campaigning in Germany).

The castrum option could be handy if you need to make a landfall and need a beach head to resupply/retreat to. For example, if the Romans attack Africa in the FPW, a castrum could be very useful since a lot of provinces are wild. (In fact they get a castrum in the later start).

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Mon May 06, 2013 2:02 pm

jimwinsor wrote:There is a "Castrum" option and it will let you build a fort in a province without a city. I've never used it (who wants to defend a cityless province?) but it may come into usefulness in later yet to be designed scenarios (ie, campaigning in Germany).

I've used it in the Cantabrian Wars as the Romans and as Severus, because after you take Rome and inherit the Didians, often some of them end up isolated from the rest of your territory by Clodius' new gains.

But could some of the devs answer what the exact requirements for building a fort with troops are? The tooltip isn't precise, and I couldn't find anything on that from the manual. I thought that it might require supply wagons, but occasionally I've been unable to build a fort even if the stack had them.

Bohémond

Mon May 06, 2013 5:30 pm

To buid a for , i.e Castrum RGD, the requirements are ; A region you owned with no city, MC must be higher than 25%, and 1 elements from any of these families $famElite|$famLine|$famLightInf|$famSkirmisher|$famRaider|$famCavalry|$famMilitia, i.e almost anything but a leader or a supply chariot.

Regards
Marco, perché vai così forte in salita?» «Per abbreviare la mia agonia.

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Tue May 07, 2013 7:59 am

Bohémond wrote:To buid a for , i.e Castrum RGD, the requirements are ; A region you owned with no city, MC must be higher than 25%, and 1 elements from any of these families $famElite|$famLine|$famLightInf|$famSkirmisher|$famRaider|$famCavalry|$famMilitia, i.e almost anything but a leader or a supply chariot.

Regards

Thank you! Occasionally I've been unable to build a fort even if I've fulfilled all of those conditions. If it happens again, I'll report it.

Jagger2013
General of the Army

Tue May 07, 2013 3:47 pm

Building a castrum is a choice within the "Decision" mode. It states you can build a fort without expending units.

However I just selected two auxillery units and a supply unit and a commander who happen to be beseiging a town with a fort. If I select any unit in the group and then select the "lightning" tab, I am told I cannot build a fort for a variety of possible reasons. So it appears I should be able to build a fort using units only and without using the "decision" mode.
Of course, in this particular situation, I assume I cannot build a fort because there is already an enemy fort there. But if there was no fort there, an option appears to exist to build a fort using units only and not requiring the decision mode.

So what are the conditions needed to build a fort using units only and without using the decision mode?

pantsukki
Brigadier General

Tue May 07, 2013 6:31 pm

Jagger2013 wrote:So what are the conditions needed to build a fort using units only and without using the decision mode?

Bohémond just posted the requirements in post #11.

Bohémond

Wed May 08, 2013 1:44 am

Jagger2013 wrote:Building a castrum is a choice within the "Decision" mode. It states you can build a fort without expending units.

However I just selected two auxillery units and a supply unit and a commander who happen to be beseiging a town with a fort. If I select any unit in the group and then select the "lightning" tab, I am told I cannot build a fort for a variety of possible reasons. So it appears I should be able to build a fort using units only and without using the "decision" mode.
Of course, in this particular situation, I assume I cannot build a fort because there is already an enemy fort there. But if there was no fort there, an option appears to exist to build a fort using units only and not requiring the decision mode.

So what are the conditions needed to build a fort using units only and without using the decision mode?

Well,

Player, or IA, should not be able to build a fort using units. The only way to do so is to use Regional Decision.

However the build fort button is still present in Special Orders Tab although it is unactive ''most'' of the time.

This ''Build fort'' button will be removed in next patch.

Thank you for reporting.

Regards
Marco, perché vai così forte in salita?» «Per abbreviare la mia agonia.

Jagger2013
General of the Army

Wed May 08, 2013 3:02 am

Thanks Bohemond, I did some testing today and was beginning to reach the same conclusion. I could never get the fort button to activate on a unit. The "destroy fort" button did activate but not "build fort" button. Makes sense now. Thanks again!

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”