Vincentius
Brigadier General

Always minor victory ?!

Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:02 pm

Why, when I play a scenario in the game, and I win, I always gain a minor victory ?
Italian videogamer (I love strategy games) :thumbsup:

Parcere subiectis et debellare superbos.
Os stulti contritio eius.
Hoc unum scio, me nihil scire.
Alea iacta est.
Mens sana in corpore sano.
Tu quoque, Brute, fili mi ?

Hobbes

Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:58 pm

I believe it is minor unless you take all objectives. Maybe the text should be changed to say victory rather than 'minor victory'
with 'major victory' reserved for the rare occasion that all objectives are taken.

Cheers,
Chris

Vincentius
Brigadier General

Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:30 pm

yes, but I took all objectives in more than one scenario (and the mirror still display minor victory)
Italian videogamer (I love strategy games) :thumbsup:

Parcere subiectis et debellare superbos.

Os stulti contritio eius.

Hoc unum scio, me nihil scire.

Alea iacta est.

Mens sana in corpore sano.

Tu quoque, Brute, fili mi ?

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:13 am

It's always a minor victory if you don't win by NM victory. I'm pretty sure it's like that in all AGE games. It's something they could probably fix, but I say you know if your victory is minor or major. You don't need a screen to tell you. I'd rather they just change to a general victory/defeat screen.

PJJ
Captain

Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:37 pm

To be honest, the victory screen doesn't work very well. It's best not to pay too much attention to it. Like Pat Cleburne wrote, you know when you've won a minor or major victory. Sometimes the screen shows a result that makes no sense at all. Recently I played the Year of the Four Emperor's scenario as Otho and was able to keep Rome and all the victory locations of Italy until the scenario ended, but it was still considered a minor defeat by the victory screen. I just ignored it, because I knew it was actually a victory, no matter what some screen said. :cool:

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:57 pm

What is victory? French had major military victory on Algeria, and they lost it....
The political setting is very important, treat ennemies* like dogs ("This beach is forbidden to algerians and dogs alike.") and you give them the will to fight.
* Ennemies: This is the France view. Conquiered algerian people had become obedient, almost loving their new master and wanted being treated equal as french, and at first they pacifically protested in political movement. France fired on them, so algerians went violent with hate, and hypocrite France wondered why there was not pacifical political party after they had forbidden it...

Boomer
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:36 am

It seems to me that many other AGEOD games have a better way of determining victory, but that is probably due to games like ACW and WIA being generally 2 sided affairs, whereas AJE often has 3 or even 4 sides in a particular scenario.

I just finished a Severan scenario as Clodious and had conquered Didius and Severus quite easily, and got into a late game slug fest with Niger along the Danube and in Greece. By the time the last turn clicked off, I had beaten him most of the time in battle, racked up huge NM points, and of course controlled all of Italy, Spain, Britain, Greece, and Gaul, yet the victory screen gave me a minor victory, with Niger actually slightly ahead in VPs. I don't know, sometimes the scoring system can seem very arbitrary. Like PJJ said, it's often best to just ignore it and look at the map and take everything in consideration in determining whether or not you won.

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”