tux
Corporal

some questions

Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:00 am

Hello, when playing 1. punic war, I went successfully hunting down the enemy merchant ships. Is it possible, to rebuild sunk merchant ships? There is nothing to build in the build menu and there are no replacement points.
The rules state, roman legions will automatically start building siege engines, when at siege. In some scenarios this is true, in some not. In the 256 BC the legions in Africa besieging Hadrumentum or any other town never build siege engines. And what about the replacement points for "heavy artillery". Are they used anyway?
Please clarify this.

cwegsche
Lieutenant

Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:14 am

Hi Tux!

I think it's only possible to repair damaged merchant ships via option. Don't know if sunken merchant ships get also replaced via that option.
In BOR it's much more difficult to build siege equipment, often nothing is built, sometimes more is built, guess dice roles are in effect here.
About replacement for heavy artillery ... no clue about that sorry

Chris

El Nino

Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:18 am

Historically, at the beginning of the Republic, the legios didn't built many siege equipment, and they learn this science from the hellenistic states (Macedonia, Syracuse, Seleucids...) who were expert in that time.

During the end of the Republic, siege equipement was common.

Franciscus

Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:01 am

Yes, in BOR the probability that a Roman legion builds a siege engine each turn is much lower than in AJE, by design.

Regards

tux
Corporal

Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:52 pm

Thank You for the answers. Now, it's more clear.

sajm0n
Civilian

Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:01 pm

1 more question about sieges:

does it make any difference, if my army is on more offensive posture during siege? more hits inflicted, better chance to make breaches, anything?

NefariousKoel
Captain

Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:14 pm

sajm0n wrote:1 more question about sieges:

does it make any difference, if my army is on more offensive posture during siege? more hits inflicted, better chance to make breaches, anything?

It doesn't do any of that stuff. However, it will give that army orders to attack any enemy force attempting to escape that location, or any that move into it. I tend to leave my besieging forces in an Offensive posture so nothing gets in, out, or through without a fight. You still get the same siege chances in defensive posture, IIRC, but I'm often paranoid about some of the besieges forces attempting to escape.

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”