Paul Roberts

Strength reporting oddity?

Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:56 pm

I'm really enjoying AJE!

However, I just saw something that struck me as weird. I'm not sure this is even a problem, but I'm reporting it in case it indicates something wrong.

Open up the Marius vs Sulla scenario as Marius (Populares) and look at the "Italian Reserve" unit down at the boot hool of Italy. At game start, the force is one general and two (slightly disorganized) legions; the top line of Unit Display summarizes the Force as "3 units, PWR 247." Now combine the general with one of the Legions in the Force (using a special order button). The summary changes to "2 Units, PWR 219."

However, if you then separate the general from the Legion again, the summary says "3 units, PWR 219." Why did it originally say PWR 247, and what happened to change the power of the force when we combined and uncombined the leader?

Now, one possible reason for something weird here is that the starting cohesion in those units is less than 100%. If you run a turn and the legions get organized to full cohesion, the difference in PWR when you combine and un-combine a leader no longer occurs.

This question does bring up a related issue:

I notice that the PWR of an individual unit increases when a general is attached directly. The power listed for the whole force, however, does not change.

You can see this with the same unit mentioned above, if you let it rest for a turn. On turn 2, it will be one general and two legions, each with a PWR of 176 and 156 individually. The summary for the Force is "3 Units, PWR 412."

If you now combine the general with the first legion, that legion's PWR changes to 219 (with the second legion still 156). The summary now says "2 Units, PWR 412."

So really, where are these numbers coming from? (You can see similar disparities with most Forces on the map.) How is that 412 calculated, and does the power of the Force in battle really change or not when a leader is attached to a unit?

Again, this is an excellent game! But I bring this up because people will be wondering about the numbers they see.

Pocus

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:06 am

The number is not used anywhere in battle, it is an aggregation of factors to let you appraise quickly (but not super precisely) the worth of an unit. Numbers will also vary with command penalties at any given instant.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”