CatoTheYounger
Sergeant

Carthaginian Navy

Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:47 pm

Playing as Carthage, my navy is small and no Match for the Roman navy. It seems the only way to use it is to sneak reinforcements quickly through before Rome can spot them. Yet I have heard other post about buying new fleets. I have so far only been able to buy replacements for existing fleets, supply units and armies except the occasional Gallic units. This seems the way it should be but am I missing something? Can you really invest in new ships and supply trains?

Durk

Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:23 pm

Carthage can, indeed, develop a fleet competitive with the Roman fleet. In addition to the nice influx of money from trade, it does require a judicious use of the Requisitions and Enslave & Punish options. Requisitions does take a toll on EP and both options depress victory points a bit, but it is well worth this cost for a stronger fleets.
With Requisitions I try to be careful to keep Loyalty above 60%. It also requires a small mobile force to support militia in putting down slave risings.
Enslave and Punish is useful once your have conquered regions while the Loyalty is very low. Again, you might have revolts, so only do this in cities where you have at least one militia garrison inside.

The Carthage fleet has good leaders, so if you can provide good warships, you can go toe-to-toe with the Romans.

CatoTheYounger
Sergeant

Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:39 pm

Durk wrote:Carthage can, indeed, develop a fleet competitive with the Roman fleet. In addition to the nice influx of money from trade, it does require a judicious use of the Requisitions and Enslave & Punish options. Requisitions does take a toll on EP and both options depress victory points a bit, but it is well worth this cost for a stronger fleets.
With Requisitions I try to be careful to keep Loyalty above 60%. It also requires a small mobile force to support militia in putting down slave risings.
Enslave and Punish is useful once your have conquered regions while the Loyalty is very low. Again, you might have revolts, so only do this in cities where you have at least one militia garrison inside.

The Carthage fleet has good leaders, so if you can provide good warships, you can go toe-to-toe with the Romans.

Wow. I have read the manual, but I am new and picking things up on the fly. Thanks for the info. All things considered, I will do worlds better my next campaign.

Durk

Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:31 pm

One of the aspects of all the AJE games which I love is that many events are conditional; that is, if you take this region an option opens. All scenarios are extremely exciting the first time played when all events are new and usually a surprise (Unless you have a strong understanding of the history). Questions like, how much EP must I save to take advantage of events which arise. But even in replay, new events and possibilities occasionally arrive. The manual is very helpful in understanding game play concepts, but only by play do the subtleties and strategies for best play arise. In one pbem Rome's fleet met disaster in a storm, nice break for Carthage.

Return to “Alea Jacta Est”