Kensai

Kensai's Shogun Defiance Mod

Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:58 pm

Edo, Japan, 1853

Commodore Perry has just left the Bay of Edo with the promise to return next year. The Shogun is in a difficult position. What should he do? The Westerners have been pressing for Japan's trade opening for some time now. The Americans apparently are not joking. Either we agree on their demands or else they will punish us. The Japanese way of living is in peril. It is time to summon the Daimyos from the entire realm and consult with them on what we should do. But the Shogun knows already... Japan should resist! It is time for Japan to show the world it is not going China's way!

A new mod for an early game (1850) Japan

Many persons have found Japan quite boring in the beginning of the grand campaign because of the Shogun's passivity. Albeit this is historical, I always wanted to elaborate on the vanilla event of the Daimyo Consultation that happens after Commodore Perry arrives with his demands in the Bay of Tokyo. This mod adds many new events that happen until the penultimate Shogun (and hope for stability) dies. You can now resist the Westerners and even take the war on them. It should be very hard and challenging, not for the feint of heart.

Japan will get on a war footing

If you decide to resist, Perry won't be happy. Most Westerners will not be amused (except perhaps the Dutch), but you will be able to prepare for war with one or more of them. The most important danger comes from the Americans who won't get no for an answer. The Americans in the beginning of the game have 3x the power of Japan and a much higher potential to destroy you because of their technological advantage. But you could take advantage of Western tech as well, if you make the right choices...

You can do the unthinkable

The best kind of defence is offense! This is in the spirit of the samurai, albeit somehow stereotyped. Your eventual war with the Americans means that you might be able to surprise them. Remember that the only State in the West in the beginning of the 50s is California. All the rest (Oregon, Washington, Arizona, etc) is unincorporated territory and far away from the rest of the US. Can the Americans repulse an expedition force of unyielding samurais as they have their own problems at home (pre-Civil War)? Your goal as Japan is not to conquer the USA, this is impossible, but time your attack in such a way that you get them while they are most vulnerable. Pacific expansion (in order to resist the Americans) also allows for a rather limited allowance of early colonial options you will certainly enjoy! ;)

Completely compatible with the rest of the story

No, you can not finish the game with the Shoguns. I have made it so that this mini-campaign fork reunites with the official storyline. The Shoguns will eventually die and the Emperor reinstated. Nonetheless, it will provide you with an entire decade or so of razor-sharp war experience with the Westerners (especially the Americans) which can and will crush you if you are not careful.

Good luck! :w00t:

PS. There are some typos in these early screens, I have fixed them. If you find anything else or some event that fires and doesn't make sense, contact me so I can look at it.
Attachments
Shogun Defiance Mod v1.1.zip
(3.13 MiB) Downloaded 397 times
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:
Shogun Defiance Mod (completed AAR)

Pocus

Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:08 pm

Very intriguing!
The title in the window can probably be lowered a bit...

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Kensai

Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:28 pm

Thanks Pocus, coming from you is the best appreciation I can get. :)
It should be a very hard, almost suicidal campaign. I only recommend it to the crazy ones! I have even set an event that sets AI interest zones, biases, and objectives in the Western continental US and Asia (Japan). When it fires, in the heat of the conflict, it should provide for a further challenge for the Shogun!

PS. Regarding the ModDB, the other Philippe I think will take care of it. Speak with him.
PPS. Regarding the title, it has been always like that, at least for me and my 1920x1080 screen. I think it happens only with the Japanese newspaper though.
Care to unify Germany as Austria? Recreate the Holy Roman Empire of the 20th Century:
Großdeutschland Mod
Are you tough enough to impersonate the Shogun and defy the Westerners? Prove it:

Pocus

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:26 am

ah yes, probably the Japanese newspaper is slightly different from the others, so it explains. Perhaps lightly retouching the image so it is identical in shape and proportion to others papers would be good then, as a nano-mod :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

czert2
Brigadier General

Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:38 pm

any chance to integrate this minimod to oficial patch ?

Kensai

Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:19 pm

There is no possible interference with any official mod as far as I can think of. Feel free to install it on top.

I have updated the save file to version 1.1, adding a minor map coherence fix when a couple of the final events fire. If you are already playing, just install on top. If the events have not fired yet, it will fix them.
Großdeutschland Mod

ShadowofGod
Sergeant

Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:22 pm

I'm sorry to be a computing dummy, but that file downloads as an .php file and I cannot discover how to process it to my software. The Shogun's Defiance hypothetical intrigues me.

Kensai

Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:55 pm

It downloads normally as a zip to me. Just click it in the first post.
(I use Firefox on Windows 7)
Großdeutschland Mod

Return to “PON Mods”