Sherman
Corporal

How to fix Kansas City / mod regions

Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:08 pm

I am trying to fix Missouri in the 1850 Grand Campaign and have tried editing the files in the Includes directory like so:

I modded the two cities files like so:

SelectRegion = $Kansas City
SetDeJure = USA
SetControl = 100
SetLoyalty = 100
ColonialPen = 101
ColStatus = $colNational
Transport = $Roads
Development = 25
RegionStyle = $csiNorthAmerica
SetPopTotalRaw = 12
PopContentPerc = 50
SetMiddlePercRaw = 5
SetWorkersPercRaw = 12
SetPeasantsPercRaw = 73
SetServilesPercRaw = 10
PopEducationPerc = 100
ChgPopReligions = $relProtestant|25|$relPagan|75
ChgPopEthnics = $ethDixie|5|$ethYankee|10|$ethAfro_American|2|$ethDakota|83
PlannedCityName = Kansas City
CreateStruc
SetType = $Port
SetName = _genName
SetLevel = 1
Apply
ChgResSites = $merCereals|3
DiscoverResSites = $merCereals|3
ChgResSites = $merCoal|2
DiscoverResSites = $merCoal|1
ChgResSites = $merCattle|2
DiscoverResSites = $merCattle|2

And I modded structs_USA like so:

SelectRegion = $Kansas City

CreateStruc
SetType = $CEREALS1
SetName = Midwest Farming
Apply

CreateStruc
SetType = $ANCHORAGESTC
SetLevel = 1
SetName = Westport Landing
Apply

but this seems to have no effect. What step am I missing?

Sherman
Corporal

Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:54 am

So I discovered the spreadsheet files that need to be edited. That was not so hard.

What is not so clear is how all of those separate sheets get compiled into the new scenario. The instructions I have found imply -- to my mind -- that all of these disparate work sheets are in one file to get compiled. Or maybe it's completely different.

Anyone out there done this for PON -- besides the devs?

Sherman
Corporal

Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:17 pm

Making my way slowly slowly.

So, editing the spreadsheets is a way to get accurate .inc files if you do not trust yourself to correctly edit the .inc file directly. THis is a good thing for people like me who are terrible at the accurate typing required for this kind of work.

So in the regions35c spreadsheet I go to the page map db version 34b and I make all of my changes. Then I export to .csv with field delimiter ; and no text delimiter.

Then I open the csv splitter, enter the path to where I saved my .csv file, and add a path to where I want to save my my soon to be created new *.inc file, click on the tab that says regions.csv, choose the button labeled extract for vgn (an alternate name for PON) and now I have a lovely new cities.inc file where Malden has been replaced by Cape Girardeau, Joplin has been replaced by Springfield, Kansas City is now properly part of Missouri, the historic French/Spanish Lead Belt goes to St. Louis rather than the Bootheel, and we are well on our way towards correcting the inaccuracies perpetrated on my native state. While I was in there I also fixed the issue with Hot Springs/Ouachita.

But the key take away here is that you do not need to mess with the data files and splitter if you feel confident in your ability to properly type the data into an .inc file. However, if you plan to make lots of changes, using the spreadsheets is going to be a lot easier for you in the long run.

As I work through this I will add more details on what I have learned and how to do it.

Questions and comments are welcome.

Sherman
Corporal

Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:17 pm

update

If you are working with 1.04 you might be safer just editing the .inc files.

more later

Sherman
Corporal

Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:13 pm

I had to troll around a bit to figure this out, so I hope my explanation is simple and friendly to those that aren't on a first name basis with modding the game engine.

So after you have typed up your changes, and let's assume they are for the Grand Campaign, you go to the Scripts directory and make a copy of the file Script1850GRC. Rename that file to Script. Make sure you keep the right file extension of .ini.

Now go to start the game. Have your finger poised over the F9 key. As soon as you see the Paradox splash screen tap that F9 key once. If you have shown good timing in your key tapping you will bypass the main menu and be taken directly to the map of your game. Click on the telephone in the upper right hand corner to get to the main menu. Press the save game button.

If you don't get directly to the map of the game then you didn't tap the key in time. or maybe you tapped it twice. I don't know which it was for me. Anyway, just try again. It gets more predictable with practice.

If you screwed up your typing and broke the compilation of the new scenario file you will give you an error message. Just say yes and wait a long time for it to do its thing, and it will eventually spit out some files in the script and log directories for you to pore through and ponder over. If you get sick of waiting and use the task manager to quit you won't get the very useful files and will have to do it all over again with patience and fortitude.

I am very pleased with my arrangements in Missouri and Arkansas. And I even deleted a textile mill in NYC to create the Lowell Mills in Eastern Mass.

How far you want to take this is up to you -- obviously. I know I have thought about adding the Springfield Armory. But that would mean deleting Rock Island and then adding it in 1862 as an event. And then I would have to delete the Richmond Armory and place it at Harper's Ferry. But these things don't bother me that much. I'ld rather be playing.

Return to “PON Mods”