HappyBanker
Conscript

Adding railways graphics

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:06 pm

Hello,

I am trying to had railway lines graphics in regions where they are not present in order to make this both more playable (railway visible) and good looking. So I edited the GameData/Map file and added the correponding AGELine blocks. It did work for some lines but not for others and I cannot understand why (linking regions where railways are built obviously, tried changing names to city name or region name, all region have a constructed RGO). Does anyone knows how this works exactly ?

Moriety
Major

Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:19 pm

I'm busy doing the Russian lines, along with tidying up the existing ones.
I was wondering, I've been creating three province lines, and getting worried that they will only show up when rails are built by the player in all the three provinces.
Did you work out if this is the case?

How much work did you do in the end btw? I can add my work to yours if you are still doing it?
"Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time you've got" Art Buchwald, U.S. Journalist and humourist

Pocus

Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:55 am

If memory serves, a line will appear as soon as both end and start are with rail.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Moriety
Major

Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:54 pm

Pocus wrote:If memory serves, a line will appear as soon as both end and start are with rail.

Thanks Pocus,

I think I'll switch into 2-province lines in that case. My only concern is processing time; would this decision impact it?
"Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time you've got" Art Buchwald, U.S. Journalist and humourist

Pocus

Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:11 pm

It can... How many rail lines do you plan to add? Try to not have more than 200 I would say, and this would be the highest limit.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Moriety
Major

Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:54 am

Pocus wrote:It can... How many rail lines do you plan to add? Try to not have more than 200 I would say, and this would be the highest limit.

Well,
I've railed up all of Russia. I switched into 2-province railways (after doing quite a few 3-province ones), based on what you said about connections appearing.
It's looking like it may not be a wise project based on what you are saying.
That said, I've probably added about 100 lines but haven't noticed any change in the processing time. I've tried to keep the number of lines to the bare minimum- 1 line per province as much as possible, whilst avoiding it looking stupid.

Pocus

Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:43 am

If you do that for the whole world (at least in places where it makes sense), you'll probably ends up with 1000 or so railways. And as much as I would like to adopt the file for official patch, that would be too risky, performance wise, and PON really don't need extra performance sink :)

Why don't you want to have 3 legs long railways?

Moriety
Major

Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:10 pm

Pocus wrote:If you do that for the whole world (at least in places where it makes sense), you'll probably ends up with 1000 or so railways. And as much as I would like to adopt the file for official patch, that would be too risky, performance wise, and PON really don't need extra performance sink :)

Why don't you want to have 3 legs long railways?

Okey dokey!
I'll merge the 2-province lines into 3 legs and do a count of the total routes in the file to see where its at.
(I switched to two legs to ensure the player was more likely to actually get the graphics displaying)

Finland & West Russia are largely 3 legs.

[ATTACH]20791[/ATTACH]

Siberia, Central Asia and East Russia is mainly 2 legs.

[ATTACH]20792[/ATTACH]
Attachments
example 2.jpg
example 1.jpg

Return to “PON Mods”