Issyt Orange
Civilian

Pick Flags + [mini-mod] WIP

Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:06 pm

Hello all, first post.

For odd reasons unknown to me, I am "fixated" with flags in gaming; I spend far, FAR, more time researching and 'fixing' than playing. :confused:

Towards this end, this mini-mod will address the RUS Pick Flag screen where newer flags which have a more recognisable RGB profile will be used as alternatives (an alternative to GEOrgia's flag was the starting point).

The Base map Flags are almost done as well, but where I shall come unstuck is the "Cityscape" flags therein -I am sure the good Slitherpeoples won't release that particular .psd file for modders, so a new workaround is what I'm starting on now.

The sample preview here has a _WH2 I'm not that happy with - a link to a better source will be greatly appreciated. -and a Montenegran flag for completeness. Great credit to Owl who already modded the Fengtian flags, contained here. Thanks for taking a look. o7

Preview (low quality jpg):
Attachments
Pick.jpg

AleksandrStefan
Private

Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:03 pm

Seems like very well done. +1

Issyt Orange
Civilian

Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:00 pm

Thanks Aleksandr!

Included zipfile contains: Alternatives to 'BaseFlags' and 'PickFlags' folders. Make backups if you wanted, before adding to the graphics folder.

Still WIP but these two folders are complete inasmuch as '_WH2' images are good for now.

o7
Attachments
RUS.rar
(267.63 KiB) Downloaded 341 times

andatiep

Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:03 pm

Issyt Orange wrote:The sample preview here has a _WH2 I'm not that happy with - a link to a better source will be greatly appreciated.

Well, we had a lot's of discussions about flags, especially about the Whites sides/factions/sub-factions.

All the following White factions WHI, WH2, WH3, WH4, WH5, where mostly using the same 3 colours White/Red/blue Russian flag (like the provisional government of february 1917). So it was decided, for game purpose, to give the Russian WHite factions' flag only a different little symbol in the middle of the same flag.

E.g. : Your flag for WH3 is not appropriate. The Green/White Siberian regional flag was not the flag the Eastern front White troops where using. It was mostly the Russian White/Red/blue flag.
REVOLUTION UNDER SIEGE GOLD

Issyt Orange
Civilian

Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:05 pm

andatiep wrote:Well, we had a lot's of discussions about flags, especially about the Whites sides/factions/sub-factions.

All the following White factions WHI, WH2, WH3, WH4, WH5, where mostly using the same 3 colours White/Red/blue Russian flag (like the provisional government of february 1917). So it was decided, for game purpose, to give the Russian WHite factions' flag only a different little symbol in the middle of the same flag.

E.g. : Your flag for WH3 is not appropriate. The Green/White Siberian regional flag was not the flag the Eastern front White troops where using. It was mostly the Russian White/Red/blue flag.

Thanks for the correction, it's always greatly appreciated. But how to further invent yet more 'ficitious' tricolour _WHI flags such as the one with the round symbol at centre? In any event, these are chromatically pure (as anything can be viewed through a monitor) and I hope to finish it all off soon for anyone who might make use of the mini-mod.

Thanks again.

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Re: Pick Flags + [mini-mod] WIP

Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:52 pm

Your flag-making technique is beyond reproach, and I really look forward to your finishing this mod when you have completely researched all of the individual flags.

Flags that always drive me crazy when I work on this kind of mod (besides mistakes in Austria-Hungary and the U.S. which are really easy to spot) are Romania and Persia. The coat of arms in the middle of the Romanian flag is a bit like the coat of arms in the middle of the Spanish flag: it keeps changing. Just about every Romanian king put a slightly different coat of arms in the middle of the warflag, so that would need to be looked up. And the Persian flag has changed several times and I never know off the top of my head which one is supposed to be on display.

I tend to take your side rather than the party line about the White Faction flags. I really hate seeing artificial flags, and maybe the way to go would be different colored edges to distinguish between the factions, rather than defacing them (to use the technical vexillogical term) with a symbol in the middle.

The problem is that whatever gets used as the flag for the side pick needs also to be used in-game. So you're going to be stuck doing all the flags. If your flag-pick work is anything to go by, I can't wait to see what you do with the others.

Once you've done the research on each flag and made sure you're using the correct one.

Return to “RUS Mods”