Old Fenrir
Sergeant

RUS Grand Campaign with improved balance. Patch 1.06a, QF3.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:55 pm

As knows players with some experience in PBEM, victory of Reds in RUS Grand Compaign is almost impossible. At least - with minimally correct course of action of the "White" players.

Even when player of Red's faction operates significantly better than players on Whites factions, and luck is on the Red's side, achivements of the Reds much more limited, than it was historically.

Alas, the reason for this - balance in GC. Initial placement in game makes Whites much more stronger on the start than they were historically. Also, game not reflects, or not reflects correctly, some moments, which makes Reds stronger, and Whites - weaker.

On the basis of several GC, played with experienced opponents, and on the some historical knowledge, part of this moments was fixed in my modification. In order to approach closer to historic reality and give Reds at least equal chances for victory in Grand Campaign.

1. The first problem - is ahistorical hordes of Whites on the East, and unhistorically weak Red forces on the North Caucasus. Sorry, correction of this point requires the amount of work that exceeds my ability as modder.
2. Second problem for Reds - is inability to start fast enough and to remedy this situation by initial superiority in resources. Reds Simply don't have enough EP, money, and WS, and can't get them fast enough. And permanent desertions in the first turns fatally delays the formation of new troops. As a result, starts working a "negative feedback": weaker Reds are doomed for defeats, which weakens they more. And so on. I fixed this point more or less.
3.Third problem - unhistorically low quality of Red Army and its command staff. I fixed this point more or less.

1. Fast start for Reds.
1.1 Reds started in GC with 60 EP, 500 "rub", 300 WS. Which represents military equipment "inherited" from Imperial Army and mobilisation of officers.
1.2 + 6 WS to production in the Petrograd.
1.3 Up to September 1918 Reds do not suffer from desertions, which interfere forming of troops (Southern Whites do not suffer from desertions up to the summer 1919).
1.4 Disabled the epidemics, which hitting mainly the Reds. Beside that, epidemics in the middle of the turn, for which player not be able to react, - it is not good.

2. Quality of Reds.
2.1 "Default" strategic raiting for Red commanders is set 3 instead of 2.
2.2 Added the ability to train troops for several Red generals (on the basis of rank not less than the Lt. colonel on the front-line positions in the Imperial Army: Kamenev, Vatzetis, Egorov, Gittis, Snesarev, Nadiozhny, Shorin, Parsky).
2.3 With 2 stars appear those, who historically started in 1918 as army commanders: Tukhachevsky, Gittis, Snesarev, Nadiozhny, Shorin, Parsky, Samoylo, Slaven.
2.4 Abovementioned generals, with exception of Slaven received characteristics 3-1-1 (if they had less) and trait "ex-imperial officer".

3. Miscellaneous.
3.1 Reduced probability of death of the generals.
3.2 Reduced speed for the horse artillery and tachankas (to make speed of large masses of cavalry more close to historical, so they not to run through half of a map in one turn). In reality, speed of cavalry on march was approximately 1,5 times faster than infantry.
3.3 Moved from autumn to summer 1919 event, which expanded Red's cavalry pool, and Reds can train more cavalry after that.
3.4 Trotsky not railbound anymore.
3.5 Mironov received 4-2-1 characteristics and traits "cavalryman" and "cossack commander".
3.6 Chapaev and Mironov now can be promoted to 2 stars.

[ATTACH]23374[/ATTACH]

Regards.
Attachments
RUS.rar
(251.95 KiB) Downloaded 621 times

FENRIS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:06 pm

I agree with all yours suggestions. just a question : I have to install the "Rus.rar" files in RUS folder like a mod ?

:wavey:

PS : avatar from the same "family" ? Fenris - Old Fenrir ? :thumbsup:
[color="#FF8C00"][/color]Eylau 1807

"Rendez-vous, général, votre témérité vous a emporté trop loin ; vous êtes dans nos dernières lignes." (un russe)

" Regardez un peu ces figures-là si elles veulent se rendre !" (Lepic)[color="#FF8C00"][/color][I]
[/I]

Krot
Sergeant

Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:29 am

Fenris, as I have already installed and tested this mod I dare to answer your question instead of Old Fenrir. Yes, you have to copy these files in RUS folder.

I can recommend you an excellent tool to cope with different versions of the game (many thanks to Random): http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?23964-Naval-Mods-and-Generic-Mod-Enabler

FENRIS wrote:I agree with all yours suggestions. just a question : I have to install the "Rus.rar" files in RUS folder like a mod ?

:wavey:

PS : avatar from the same "family" ? Fenris - Old Fenrir ? :thumbsup:

Old Fenrir
Sergeant

Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:54 am

FENRIS wrote: I agree with all yours suggestions. just a question : I have to install the "Rus.rar" files in RUS folder like a mod ?

Yes, exactly. As Krot said.

FENRIS wrote: PS : avatar from the same "family" ? Fenris - Old Fenrir ? :thumbsup:

Apparently, relatives. :)

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:56 pm

Thanks. Would anyone interested playing pbem? :)

Old Fenrir
Sergeant

Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:07 pm

Baris wrote:Thanks. Would anyone interested playing pbem? :)

By the way, recruitment of volunteers for PBEM is still open here: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?30669-RUS-Grand-Campaign-with-improved-balance-Experienced-players-are-wanted :p ouet:

AshTray
Conscript

Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:55 am

Just installed but didn't see any effects - reduced supply trains capacity, increased armored trains supply capacity, cav art-ry has 170 movement coefficient. May be I did something wrong? CG started as Southern Whites, RUS + 1.06a.

Old Fenrir
Sergeant

Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:31 pm

AshTray wrote:Just installed but didn't see any effects - reduced supply trains capacity, increased armored trains supply capacity, cav art-ry has 170 movement coefficient. May be I did something wrong? CG started as Southern Whites, RUS + 1.06a.

Emmm... Sorry, I did not quite understand the issue.
Patch must be 1.06a whith 3 QF. List of changes is on the top of topic. I have not changed supply trains capacity and armored trains supply capacity in comparison with "Vanilla".
Speed of horse art. is 170, yes. But movement type changed from MedHorse to HvyHorse.

You need to install 1.06a and 3 QuickFix. And then copy files of mod in the RUS folder.

AshTray
Conscript

Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:20 am

It seems I mixed up with list of changes of another mod :) Looking forward for Trotskiy far from rail.

elxaime
General

Re: RUS Grand Campaign with improved balance. Patch 1.06a, QF3.

Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:17 am

Just curious whether any of these changes made it into RUS Gold?

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:52 am

We have played with Krot and Old Fenrir pbem with the mod before RUS gold. Fine mod overall. As me Southern Whites couldn't capture Tzaritzyn. Siberian Whites couldn't move further than Kazan. We did a house rule Czech legion shouldn't cross Volga river. Modded the NM cost of battles when needed. I think some changes already in RUS gold.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:26 pm

Old Fenrir wrote:3. Miscellaneous.
3.2 Reduced speed for the horse artillery and tachankas (to make speed of large masses of cavalry more close to historical, so they not to run through half of a map in one turn). In reality, speed of cavalry on march was approximately 1,5 times faster than infantry.

What reality? Bolsheviks studied makhnovist movements and find them impossible, not "in reality".
The difference was makhnovists fought mainly at home, so there was no green revolts against them, as they were own green, so they could change en-route their horses using local willing paesants. They too were fast (and stealthy) because they know the land. Bolsheviks sent troops from afar so they were less responsive to local propaganda, so they didn't know the land so well nor were as welcomed and supplied than makhnovists.
With their artillery, the whole makhnovist army (not only their pure cavalry) easily marched 60km per day (900km per turn!), up to 100km/day by forced march.
End 1919, they went from breakthroug encircled near Uman, to come back raiding Taganrog Denikin GHQ (650km straight) and many others, in 3 weeks (10 regions in one and half turn, not using rails as trains were destroyed). Here is (at least) 30km a day, but they were supposed already completly exhausted from their past fleeing constant battled march and their breaktrough against white infantry elites.

Return to “RUS Mods”