OneArmedMexican
General

Additional leader graphics

Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:44 pm

You will find a pack with additional leader graphics here:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=19325

I posted it in the help imrpove and not in the mod forum since it really is part of a preject to visually improve the game.

As a little teaser, here are the leader graphics new to version 1.2.:

[ATTACH]13772[/ATTACH]

Enjoy!
Attachments
leader graphics3.jpg

Rafiki

Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:42 am

Nice work! :thumbsup:
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

OneArmedMexican
General

Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:14 pm

I uploaded version 1.3. today. By now the mod contains a total of 34 new graphic sets.

Here is what's new in version 1.3.

[ATTACH]13885[/ATTACH]

Enjoy!

Here is the link:

Attachments
leader graphics5.jpg

Nikel

Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:19 pm

Finally your portraits were included in the patch or not?

It is a pity that in the game the portraits are not of the old style, drawed or coloured, but in the new PON style

I suppose it is a lot of work for the artist and so a lot of money required :neener:

OneArmedMexican
General

Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:34 pm

Nikel wrote:Thanks :)

Finally your portraits were included in the patch or not?

It is a pity that in the game the portraits are not of the old style, drawed or coloured, but in the new PON style

I suppose it is a lot of work for the artist and so a lot of money required :neener:

No they are not included in the patch. The reason for this is exactly that they are not 100% true to the RUS style.
The artist used photoshop whereas I used gimp. However, as good as gimp is, the art-work of RUS is beyond what it can achieve.
I am however creating raw-versions of the graphic sets I make which I will send to the developpers; hopefully that will lower the time the original artist has to spend and thus reduce costs.
The best thing that could happen to this mod is that it becomes superflous one day because we get shiny new art-work from more capable hands than mine. :)

Clovis

Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:24 am

as a side note, I will myself use your mod :)
[LEFT]Disabled
[CENTER][LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[LEFT]SVF news: http://struggleformodding.wordpress.com/

[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

[/LEFT]

OneArmedMexican
General

Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:30 pm

Thank you that is a big compliment.

OneArmedMexican
General

Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:55 pm

New graphic sets in version 1.4. and 1.4a:

[ATTACH]14103[/ATTACH]

The link to the thread with the zip file is in the first post of this thread.
Attachments
leader graphics6.jpg

Blutch
Major

Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:23 pm

Great work ! :thumbsup:

Paul Roberts

Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:54 pm

I really like this "photographic" style!

Is there any chance that all the leaders, including the ones that came with portraits originally, might get this treatment from you?

OneArmedMexican
General

Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:32 am

Paul Roberts wrote:I really like this "photographic" style!

Is there any chance that all the leaders, including the ones that came with portraits originally, might get this treatment from you?

Realistically, I have to say no. It would be pretty cool, though. :) But it is far more than I can hope to do on my own. This mod was always intended as an addition or a gap-filler until we get more portraits from the RUS artist, not as a complete overhaul.

I continue to send the RUS team pre-treated versions of new graphic sets. This saves them time and has helped a little in getting us more graphic sets in patch 1.01. Perhaps patch 1.02 will already contain some more.

By the way, the "photographic" style was born out of the limitations of my capabilities. I quickly figured out that I couldn't replicate the original RUS 100%, instead I opted for keeping close to the originals.
However, there is a reason why the RUS artist did create this pencil drawing style. Some contemporary photographies are very low quality. His style is able to hide that. He created some amazing scripts for that purpose. Unfortunately, they are incompatible with my graphics program. :(

jack54
Brigadier General

Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:23 am

Thanks for all the leader graphics.A great job :)

I was playing around with some..You may have already done these... but I have no idea how to name or number them ... see what you think and thanks Again

[ATTACH]14118[/ATTACH]
Attachments
two rus leaders.rar
(58.41 KiB) Downloaded 409 times
Jung  Karaazewicz-Tokarzewski1.jpg

OneArmedMexican
General

Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:23 pm

jack54 wrote:Thanks for all the leader graphics.A great job :)

I was playing around with some..You may have already done these... but I have no idea how to name or number them ... see what you think and thanks Again

[ATTACH]14118[/ATTACH]

Nice work! :thumbsup:

Karaszewicz-Tokarzewski already has a graphic set by the original RUS artist, though.

As concerns Jung, I took the liberty of renaming the graphic set (according to the RUS naming conventions) and modified the necessary mdl file.

Finally, you made a small mistake with the Army.png. It doesn't fit the frame as it should (see screenshot). I took care of that, too and cleaned the edges up a bit (there were some leftovers from the background of the original photo).
[ATTACH]14125[/ATTACH]

I have uploaded all in the attached zip file.

Here you will find a short explanation on how to create graphic sets and how to get them into the game (post no. 34):
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=19325&page=2

If you are unsure about which folders to put your graphics into, the readme in my mod file will help you with that.

I hope you will continue and create more graphic sets! :)
Attachments
rus14.jpg
renamed rus leader.zip
(28.69 KiB) Downloaded 398 times

jack54
Brigadier General

Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:28 pm

Thanks 'One armed Mexican',

Your work is greatly appreciated...The General graphics really help with immersion, (I notice during the small Finland scenario five Communist Generals on one screen all the same; even more incorrect portraits would be better (kind of like ROP) IMHO!

Thanks for the link I'll have to read it a couple of times to get a grasp on numbering..

I can help with graphics if you like; just need to know which ones or I'll make a few and see what you would like to use...It's your Mod :D

thanks Jack

OneArmedMexican
General

Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:09 am

By now versions 1.5. and 1.6. of this mod are out.

Thanks to Jack54's help a lot of progress has been made.

New in version 1.5.:

[ATTACH]14333[/ATTACH]

New in version 1.6.:

[ATTACH]14334[/ATTACH]

Currently this mod adds 67 additional leader graphic sets to the game.
Attachments
leader graphics9.jpg
leader graphics8.png

mhlarsen
Civilian

Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:04 am

Great mod! Thanks for all your work.

Michael

OneArmedMexican
General

Version 1.9.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:58 pm

Finally Jack54 and myself have reached version 1.9. of this mod. By now the mod contains 134 additional graphic sets. If I may say so, it makes a considerable impact in game. Several factions now have double the amount of leader graphic sets. Also, there are now some factions like WHI and UKR that have very few generic portraits left.

Here is the link to the file:

Enjoy!

Yarpen
Private

Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:30 am

I'd be happy to work on Polish generals. Could you help me with pointing out all files that have to be changed? Done a lot of graphical modding for PI games, but folders/files structure in AGE games is less obvious. Does anyone have templates for generals' pictures?

OneArmedMexican
General

Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:34 pm

Yarpen wrote:I'd be happy to work on Polish generals. Could you help me with pointing out all files that have to be changed? Done a lot of graphical modding for PI games, but folders/files structure in AGE games is less obvious. Does anyone have templates for generals' pictures?

Sure.

In this thread you will find a lot of things about RUS leader graphics:

In post # 34, I wrote a short introduction on which files to mod and how to go about it.

Also in post # 83 you will find a list of generals which lack an individual portrait.

These are the Polish generals Jack54 and myself haven't done yet (simply because we lack historical portraits of them):

1668POLM. Osikowski.mdl
1670POLJ. Czikiel.mdl
1671POLA. Kuczewski.mdl
1674POLDojana-Surowki.mdl
1679POLS.Z. Kaliszek.mdl
1682POLF. Paulik.mdl
1684POLS. Rosnowski.mdl

Also, if you search in the forum for Napoleon's Campaigns Nikel once wrote a tutorial that is a lot more detailed than my instructions.

Yarpen
Private

Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:54 pm

BTW, maybe I'm blind, but I can't find I.Yakir among Red commanders. It's not a matter of lack of portrait, there is no leader file for him at all. Very strange considering he was quite important figure in early '20 and later and that there are many much less suitable leaders already in game. It's also easy to find a photo of him.

See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iona_Yakir

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:11 pm

Yarpen wrote: I can't find I.Yakir among Red commanders.

Because that's a stalinist game :neener:
The same way Stalin forbid the makhnovist blietzkrieg (and prefering his ideas than a succesfull 1920 invasion of Poland), Stalin (prefering his ideas than a succesfull defense of Ukraine) forbid the guerrilla lesson Yakir had learned from the study of makhnovists tactics in 1919-1920.

OneArmedMexican
General

Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:25 pm

Yarpen wrote:BTW, maybe I'm blind, but I can't find I.Yakir among Red commanders. It's not a matter of lack of portrait, there is no leader file for him at all. Very strange considering he was quite important figure in early '20 and later and that there are many much less suitable leaders already in game. It's also easy to find a photo of him.

See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iona_Yakir

Yakir is indeed not in the game.

The wiki article is a bit dubious (low on quotations high on praise). Nevertheless, it seems the man should be in the game. I would recommend you post in the help improve forum or perhaps even the current patch thread and ask the developpers to add him to the game.

I won't include him in this leader mod because it would require me to mod a number of key files and will reduce compatibility with other mods.

If you want to do it yourself here is what you have to do:

1) create the portrait
2) create a new mdl file (just continue with the next unused number)
3) create a new unit file
4) add the unit alias and the mdl alias to the alias files
5) write a new event to get the general into the game

It sounds a lot harder than it actually is. :)

Yarpen
Private

Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:58 pm

OneArmedMexican wrote:Yakir is indeed not in the game.

The wiki article is a bit dubious (low on quotations high on praise). Nevertheless, it seems the man should be in the game. I would recommend you post in the help improve forum or perhaps even the current patch thread and ask the developpers to add him to the game.

I won't include him in this leader mod because it would require me to mod a number of key files and will reduce compatibility with other mods.

If you want to do it yourself here is what you have to do:

1) create the portrait
2) create a new mdl file (just continue with the next unused number)
3) create a new unit file
4) add the unit alias and the mdl alias to the alias files
5) write a new event to get the general into the game

It sounds a lot harder than it actually is. :)

Ouch, it sounds even harder :-) I'm new to RUS and not familiar with files structure enough to write events ect. Then I'd rather ask the devs for Yakir in improvement thread :-)

wijse

Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:40 pm

I've found a better picture of Poliakov (Don Cossack leader), than the one used in the game. Which is more grainy. This one is the same picture, but much more cleaner.

Image <-- the clean version.

Image <-- The grainy version used ingame.
Also known as wis on the paradox forums.

OneArmedMexican
General

Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:22 pm

Very nice picture. :)

Personally, I have stopped making graphics for RUS months ago but perhaps Nikel or Jack might give it a shot.

jack54
Brigadier General

Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:06 pm

Guderian in 1920... a little early for Drang but better that the 1940's nazi images... IMHO :)

Sorry but I can't figure out how to display the images in the newer forum format :(

Guderian 1920.zip
(26.3 KiB) Downloaded 387 times
Attachments
Guderian unit and army 1.jpg
AGE games I own; RUS ,AJE, BOR, H:ToR, AACW, WIA, ROP,NC, CWII, Espana 1936, TYW
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BCuda
Conscript

Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:21 pm

Greetings!
One of fellows on Russian forum made colored images of some generals and some units. Images of generals taken mostly from paintings of those times. Hope you would like it.
Special thanks to Koval85 on strategium.ru
Attachments
GraphPack1 by Koval85.rar
(678.61 KiB) Downloaded 388 times
GraphPack Leaders Units by Koval85.rar
(4.38 MiB) Downloaded 421 times
GraphPack by Koval85.jpg

Return to “RUS Mods”