TheDoctorKing

King GC AAR as Reds

Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:40 pm

RUS Grand Campaign AAR.

I played the Reds, starting under 1.01rc3 and installing patches as they came out. I started writing this AAR about halfway through, with the July, 1919 turn, using the “restore previous turn” option to go back, so I don’t have complete data on the earliest turns. But I’m trying to recreate my thinking at each step so other players can see how the game developed.

My basic goal is to hold Sovdepia (the central region bordered by Kazan-Yaroslavl-Petrograd-Smolensk-Kursk-Tambov-Tsaritsyn-Syzran) and build up through 1918. I plan to build fortified lines in my major cities so that they will hold up enemy advances and liberate my field armies to move about. In early 1919, I will try to invade the Ukraine. I expect aggressive White moves against Tsaritsyn, the Caucasus, and Turkestan. I will leave sacrificial forces in the Caucasus, send some reinforcements to Turkestan to try to hold out as best I can there, and give ground as need be on the southern flank. I hope to hold Tsaritsyn since it is an important production point. If necessary, I will withdraw forces from Turkestan and the Caucasus by sea to reinforce Tsaritsyn. On the other fronts, I will launch spoiling attacks in the spring of 1919, then hunker down in the summer and await the White storm. Once I’ve broken the White offensives in summer 1919, I will go on the offensive in the Don and try to break through Orenburg to connect up Turkestan overland. I will give priority in late 1919 to defeating the Southern Whites, or at least confining them to the Crimea. In 1920, I expect to have to fight the Poles, and I will also begin my campaigns against the other separatist states. I will push east against the Siberians, but I don’t give a high priority to the Siberian theater once I’ve taken the Urals. Without the production of Perm and Ekaterinburg, I don’t think the Siberians will have much to go on.

The first five turns: I don’t have save game files to consult, so I can’t be sure of the turn-by-turn outcome. But the general course of events is as follows: Trotsky went to Kazan as soon as he was available, with as many reinforcements as I could spare. I built a fortified lines there right off. I was expecting that the Siberians would be pushing hard to take Kazan before the Imperial Gold Train event paid off, but in fact there was only a weak attack on turn 2 or 3. I sent reinforcements to Ekaterinburg, which allowed me to hold that town until October. I put all the garrisons in Siberia on “hold at all costs,” which appears to have made the Siberians' mopping-up operations more time-consuming and costly. All the towns fell anyway, but perhaps they kept the Siberians from making much of an offensive towards the Volga. The surrenders of these small garrisons in Siberia cost me NM, but only if they actually surrendered. If they died fighting, the only NM loss was if the town itself was strategic, so by putting them on “hold at all costs” I also saved a good deal of NM that I otherwise would have lost. By turn 6, in previous playings, I would have been at a significant NM deficit, but in this game I was still pretty close at that point (though falling dramatically later, as you will see). In the south, I moved the isolated Red forces in the Kuban back to Tsaritsyn as soon as they unlocked, putting them on “evade combat” in the mean time. The Southern Whites marched into their objectives without loss but I was able to get most of my troops back. The only one of those forces to be really chewed up was the Taman Front, which ended up having to do a march across the steppes and suffer a whole bunch of attrition. The Red partisans in the Kuban broke up the rail lines behind the retreating regulars, making the White pursuit less effective and presumably interfering with White supply lines. I built troops in the central region and pressed east towards the Volga from Tambov and Nizhny Novgorod. I did the “limited mobilization” event as soon as I could, but was so horrified by the 5 NM/25 EPs cost that I never did it again, preferring to do “special operations” recruitment missions as required. I may not have done enough, at least until the winter of 1918-1919 when my pace of special operations sped up.

Early July 1918: Red morale 96, Siberians 100, Southern Whites 101. Komuch and Czech forces pushing west out of Syzran up rail line towards Moscow and north towards Simbirsk. First Red Army digging in to resist them, Trotsky rushes reinforcements down from Kazan. The SR’s revolt in the central area, from Moscow to Vologda, a real surprise. I raise new troops, rally some reserves at Moscow under the command of Kamenev and Tukachevsky to fight them. Three recruiting and two requisition missions complete. Loyalties in the high 60s/low 70s throughout Sovdepia except for the areas affected by the SR rebellion where they are closer to 60.

Late July, 1918: Red morale 95, Siberians 100, Southern Whites 98. Komuch forces surround Simbirsk, Trotsky with Eastern Front just to the north and 1st army (four divisions plus guns) dug in in the city. I hope they attack; I think Trotsky will be able to march to the sound of the guns and even if not his morale advantage apparently works in an adjacent area. One requisition mission complete.

Early August 1918: Red morale 95, Siberians 98, Southern Whites 98. The guys in Perm are barely holding out, having won a bunch of battles, but they are surely going to surrender soon. Kamenev’s forces in Moscow are almost out of org, but so are the White attackers. The Whites appear to have military control of the province but not the city. I begin raising a few divisions in Smolensk/Kursk to be ready to enter Belarus and Ukraine once the Germans withdraw. Trotsky has now held Kazan long enough to get the Gold Train event, he now sends some reinforcements to Moscow/Yaroslavl under the command of Bela Kun. Komuch forces near Simbirsk have moved away, maybe to face my troops approaching from the direction of Penza? Voroshilov to take one division to the Caucasus to try to stave off defeat there. One recruiting and two requisition missions complete.

Late August 1918: Red morale 87, Siberians 97, Southern Whites 106. Makhin takes Penza; I’m now ready to move on Syzran from the west and north. White uprising captures Ashkhabad. Siberians take Perm. Southern Whites take Ekaterinodar and declare it their capital, boosting their morale a whole bunch. Not much I could have done about that. The Taman Front is slipping around them to the south, heading for a linkup with the Caucasus front in Grozny. Blucher slips northwest out of Orenburg as large White forces close in, he hopes to slip past Samara and link up with Trotsky at Syzran. The Southern Whites appear to have done mobilization. The eastern Caucasus is now nearly free of White garrisons, with the last one to be cleared up in Petrovsk. One recruiting and one subversion mission complete.

Early September, 1918: Red morale 87, Siberians 106, Southern Whites 106. Red partisans take Azov and burn the depot – I can’t imagine a human opponent leaving it undefended! That’s got to slow down operations in the Kuban and Caucasus. Voroshilov killed in fighting around Petrovsk-Port on the Caspian; Kirov sent to replace him. South Ural Partisan Army turns away from Samara, heads for Ufa. I wonder what pushed Siberian morale up by 9? No sign in my record of any event that would account for this. Two requisitions, one recruiting and two subversion missions complete. One subversion was in Moscow, possible because of the presence of SR rebels in Moscow city no doubt. Red loyalty now up in the 90s there. The Lenin assassination attempt event means I can now do Cheka missions, though the price of 20 conscript companies is a high one to pay. My plan is to do them in the central provinces if my total loyalty falls below 60, and in peripheral provinces when I capture them if loyalty there is very low. Mostly, I intend to soften up prospective targets for my offensives by doing subversion missions there, hoping to have good loyalties by the time I actually conquer those provinces.

Late September, 1918: Red morale 88, Siberians 104, Southern Whites 106. Tukachevsky recaptures Yaroslavl, on to Vologda next turn. Whites pushing hard into the Caucasus, Kirov arrives by sea from Astrakhan with a division to help Frunze protect Grozny. Taman Front will not be able to slip past the Whites to join up with Frunze, turns north instead, hoping to pass through Stavropol and Elista to Tsaritsyn. Zinoviev takes Ashkhabad. South Ural Partisan Army takes Ufa, but large White forces in the vicinity will no doubt take it back. I put them on ‘evade combat’ and wreck the rail line. The depot is too big to burn, unfortunately. Amur cavalry gets caught trying to slip past Khabarovsk. Oh, well, the Trans-Siberian is wrecked going south all the way from Khabarovsk to Vladivostok. That’ll give those Japanese bastards some work to do! Two recruiting, one requisition, one subversion mission complete this turn.

Early October 1918: Red morale 81, Siberians 106, Southern Whites 102. Tukachevsky unsuccessful in taking Vologda, has to retreat and join up with reinforcements at Yaroslavl. I will send Bronch-Burevich to form a larger unit there so we can keep these Green agitators away from our capital. Trotsky forms Eastern Front in Syzran, faces the White Galkin Corps. Zinoviev holds Ashkhabad; a British force is moving about in southern Turkestan. Kirov now leaving the Caucasus, heading for Turkestan, and I’ve raised a cavalry division in Krasnovdsk. I don’t know how aggressive those Brits are going to be – historically they took a number of places but against minimal Red resistance. Since I’ve devoted more resources to Turkestan, maybe they’ll keep their hands off. I still hold Orsk, the only city east of the Urals that hasn’t been attacked yet. I’m going to requisition there like mad, hoping to build up the Green population to interfere with any White counter-attack or at least make holding the place harder for them. I’ve raised a light infantry brigade and a cavalry regiment there to strengthen the garrison. One requisition, two recruiting, and a Cheka mission completed.

Late October, 1918: Red morale 81, Siberians 98, Southern Whites 105. Winter is beginning, hopefully putting an end to the possibility of large White offensives in the south. Mironov with a small Cossack force pushes the southerners off the Tsaritsyn-Tambov rail line. Whites finish their conquest of Siberia by capturing Ekaterinburg and Ufa. Hopefully, this will end the hemorrhage of NM from the surrender of all those little garrisons. Trotsky captures Syzran, inflicting heavy casualties and closing off the Komuch threat to the area west of the Volga. Komuch forces retreat towards Samara and the Red Volga flotilla blockades the river against them. Hopefully this works like in AACW, that a gunboat unit in a river area denies it to the enemy. I’m building three divisions and some artillery in Kazan, and Blucher with South Ural Partisan Army is coming from Ufa to join up. There should be enough there to attempt something in the north Urals; maybe I can take Perm and/or Ekaterinburg over the winter. Three requisition missions complete.

Early November, 1918: Red morale 80, Siberians 98, Southern Whites 107. Bonch-Bruevich with Northern Front to engage rebels in Yaroslavl. The Great War is over. Both the Czechs and the Hungarians are leaving, a good trade for me. Stalin defends Tsaritsyn against a small White cavalry force. A larger White force is sitting just outside of town now for the second turn in a row; I guess they don’t like what they see. I’m hoping that the winter weather will inflict heavy casualties on them. Stalin is certainly not going to attack with such a big NM difference and the fact that he is basically a defensive-minded leader. Trotsky with Eastern Front to move on Samara. Two Cheka missions complete.

Late November, 1918: Red morale 79, Siberians 93, Southern Whites 107. A bad day for the revolution, though nobody at the time realizes it: Mr. Big T, Mikhail Tukachevsky, was killed in fighting near Yaroslavl. Where the heck am I going to get my good army leaders in the late game? I still have hopes for Blucher and Frunze. Taman Front still wandering near Stavropol. In Turkestan, Astrakhan force arrives in Ashkabad and throws the Menshevik traitors out of the town. Tashkent is still holding out, Zinoviev moving down the rail line to relieve. Trotsky takes Samara against heavy resistance, some Komuch forces appear on the west bank of the Volga and threaten Syzran, but First Army is dug in deep and quite powerful (3 divisions and some guns, total power 376, level 4 forts). I’ll send Trotsky back to “encourage” them for the impending battle. Four requisition, three recruitment and three subversion missions completed this turn.

Early December, 1918: Red morale 80, Siberians 92, Southern Whites 107. Trotsky defends Syzran against the remnant Komuch forces, who have somehow crossed the river from Samara. The fact that they don’t have any source of supply that I can see doesn’t seem to faze them. Looking at the detailed battle result, they appear to have lots of organization but low hit points. They even have an air force, though where it is operating from is a mystery since they control no cities anywhere close. The Germans evacuate the Ukraine and a variety of Red and Green units appear hither and yon. I have three divisions now ready to move into the area – not much, but something.

Late December, 1918: Red morale 80, Siberians 92, Southern Whites 129. Three subversions complete. Red Ukraine forces mass in Belgorod, on to Kharkov next turn! Southern Front under Stalin takes some bad hits from the weather but successfully covers the final stage of the withdrawal of Taman Front. About one under-strength division makes it out of the Kuban trap. A pile of Whites has suddenly materialized in Pskov – must have come over from Estonia. I won’t forget this, you Baltic bastards! I wonder if an alliance with the Balts is the source of the 20 NM increase for the Southern Whites? But the Pskov guys are part of the Siberian White faction, strangely enough. Hmm, a mystery. I speedily mobilize three divisions in the Petrograd-Novgorod sector and run some reserves over from Moscow. Bonch-Burevich takes command of the newly-designated Northern Front. Three subversion missions complete.

Early January, 1919: Red morale 79, Siberians 91, Southern White 129. Kamenev forms Ukraine Front, takes Kharkov. Zinoviev raises the siege of Tashkent as the Green rabble melts away before well-disciplined Red troops. Kirov is continuing to push down the railway from Ashkhabad. A new Red partisan army appears in the Abakan Mountains south of Krasnoyarsk. Just in time, as my Far East partisan army is beginning to starve to death. A bunch of Greens pop up at Stavropol-on-Volga upriver from Samara. I will send the Iron Division to take them out.

Late January, 1919: Red morale 78, Siberians 91, Southern White 128. Trotsky is in Sarapul along with Blucher, trying to push towards Perm. Frunze has been dug in for three turns now in Piatigorsk awaiting the big White push for the Caucasus but it doesn’t seem to be coming. Mironov takes Ekaterinoslav, Kamenev probes Kiev unsuccessfully, ready to retreat to Cherkassy. Four requisition, two recruiting, and a subversion mission finished this turn. Loyalties running in the mid to high 60s throughout Sovdepia. Still good loyalty numbers in Siberia

Early February, 1919: Red morale 78, Siberians 91, Southern White 128. Terrible weather in Siberia has obliged Blucher to pull back from Perm to Kazan to refit. Trotsky returns to Samara. The remnant of the Komuch forces are hanging out in Volsk, on the west bank of the Volga between Syzran and Saratov. I’ve sent two divisions under Makhin to harass them. Five subversion missions completed this turn, mostly in the Ukraine but one in Don. I’ve decided to subvert the Don as often as I can afford in order to sow up the Southern White forces and support my partisan comrades. The Kuban railway system is pretty much devastated thanks to my three partisan regiments working down there. The Siberian partisans are pretty much out of juice now, with everybody having starved other than the two infantry regiments. Fortified lines complete in Kazan, Petrograd, Novgorod, Saratov, Tsaritsyn and Simbirsk.

Late February, 1919: Red morale 74, Siberians 90, Southern White 127. One of our Ukrainian partisan cavalry regiments captures Taganrog, where there was rumored to be a tank factory provided by the perfidious French, but no sign of it when we arrived (?). Makhin retreats from Volsk to Syzran, having run out of supply. Kirov crushes the Ashkhabad Menshevik scum at Merv and can now be promoted to 3-star rank. Next turn, Turkestan Front! Kamenev moves on Kiev, hopefully we’ll wrap the Ukraine fighting up this turn. Five requisition, five recruiting, and two Cheka missions completed this turn.

Early March 1919: Red morale 76, Siberians 90, Southern White 87. Northern Front, under Bonch-Bruevich, moves south from Luga to confront a White force on the railroad to Pskov. I put them on ‘conservative attack’ because I don’t know how tough the White troops will be. It looks like I have them heavily outnumbered but if their quality is high, well, mine isn’t. And we have a NM disadvantage too. I’m guessing that the Whites aren’t doing a lot of recruitment missions. Ukraine Front retreats from Kiev to Cherkassy, having failed in its assault last turn. The Ukrainian garrison was too tough for us, again. Many Tachankas are done now and moving to join the armies – nothing like cheap fire support! The Whites have ‘recognized the independence of the nations in the former Russian Empire’. So much for ‘Russia, one and united.’ Denikin must be upset! That must account for the 40 point loss of NM for the Southern Whites. This has got to be a major turning point in the war, and a big political mistake by the Whites. We haven’t gone after any of the seceding countries yet, anyway, so they aren’t in the war. I don’t think a human opponent would have done this. I expect to get to the Balts and the Caucasus countries after the main White forces and the Ukrainians are wrapped up. I’m not planning to go after the Finns at all, and the Poles will no doubt declare war on me in the fullness of time. I notice that the Siberians have built a factory in Krasnoyarsk and a “tankodrome” in Vladivostok. They are taking advantage of my inability to take Perm and bulking up. I may have to devote more resources to that theater. One recruiting and one requisition mission complete this turn.

Late March, 1919: Red morale 75, Siberians 90, Southern White 89. Orzonokidzhe forming up a column with the International regiments and a couple of new divisions, some artillery and an armored train at Yaroslavl to move north to Vologda and maybe on to Astrakhan. Another possibility is Perm and Ekaterinburg. I have high hopes for these guys; they are among the best infantry the revolution has at its disposal. The Turkestan army chases survivors from the column that had been assaulting Ashkabad, capturing some supply wagons and a 75mm gun. Mironov digs in at Ekaterinoslav, Ukrainian partisan cavalry fan out across the rest of the province. Sixth Corps digs in at Baranovichy while a fusilier division captures Vilnius. The Poles are massing on the other side of the border but my political intelligence people tell me they won’t attack this year. I’m not sure enough of that to abandon the area entirely, but those divisions would sure come in handy on other fronts! Stalin and Southern Front move cautiously down the rail line from Tsaritsyn towards Novocherkassk, hoping to provoke the Whites into an attack. This is something that I wouldn’t do if I was playing a human being, but the AI seems to be insufficiently aggressive. I haven’t seen any White forces at Tsaritsyn other than a few minor cavalry raids. Stalin is a consummate defender; now he has to move aggressively, hoping to attract White attacks. The Siberian partisan army fails to take Tobolsk, but one partisan cavalry unit holds Barnaul. There are enough supplies there to keep us eating for at least a couple of months. Three requisitions, a recruiting, four subversions, and a Cheka mission completed.

Early April, 1919: Red morale 74, Siberians 90, Southern White 87. Stalin wins a battle northeast of Novocherkassk. Northern Front beats some Whites south of Luga, but can’t move on to Pskov (‘blocked by enemy positions in the countryside’ – what enemy positions? I don’t see anybody in the area. Oh, well.) Don Fleet has an unfortunate encounter with a bunch of French battleships in the Don estuary but manages to escape without serious losses. Back to Voronezh to peen out the dents! Eastern Front still recovering org in Samara. The Volga fleet is blockading the remnant Komuch forces in Volsk. Can’t see where they would be getting supplies from but with 12 gunboats offshore they aren’t getting any more. Hopefully, they will starve soon, as I don’t want to have to send troops down to clean them out. Ukraine Front still recovering and gathering new troops in Cherkassy. The Kiev garrison appears to be getting stronger every turn though where they’re coming from is a mystery. Red partisan cavalry have now entered every town in the western Ukraine right up to the Polish/Rumanian border except for Odessa. I wonder where the French and Greeks are? Perhaps they’ve gone to the Kuban instead. I see some guys over there who look suspiciously foreign. I can’t seem to build any new troops in the Ukraine. All the reinforcements have to be built in Russian cities, no closer than Kursk. Maybe when I take Kiev? Three drafts, a requisition, and two Cheka missions complete this turn.

Late April, 1919: Red morale 79, Siberians 90, Southern White 84. Southern Front under Stalin captures Novocherkassk from a surprisingly small White garrison. His numerical advantage and numerous armored trains allow him to capture the city (although the battle outcome is ‘stalemate’ strangely enough, no doubt his lack of aggressiveness is an issue here). Frunze redeploys from the Caucasus to Cherkassy to become second-in-command of the Ukraine Front. Three divisions started in Tambov and Kursk to reinforce the Ukraine theater. Two cavalry divisions and some artillery and tachankas in the Moscow region, hopefully to build a mass of cavalry to fight in the Don and/or Kuban. Awaiting completion of the fort in Samara so that Eastern Front can move southeast to hook up with Turkestan front. Blucher moves out from Kazan, heading for Perm, a division+ force is coming from Kotlas towards Perm from the other direction. Turkestan front is pretty much cleared up, Kirov moving up the rail line from Aralsk towards Orenburg. Three requisition and one subversion mission complete this turn.

Early May, 1919: Red morale 79, Siberians 90, Southern White 84. Northern Front is low on supplies and has to withdraw to Novgorod, taking 40 hits for supply shortage. D’oh! I build eight supply wagons to try to improve supply delivery by assigning extra wagons to Fronts and building a few depots. White gunboats (British?) pummel my fleet in the Northern Dvina. Collecting troops at Cherkassy for another attempt on Kiev, Mironov comes from Ekaterinoslav with three divisions, leaving Skachko with the Ukrainian Partisans in charge there. There don’t seem to be too many Whites around. A few White divisions are roaming around further to the east, but since they don’t have any supplies and don’t seem too aggressive I’m guessing they don’t actually contain too many troops. Budenyy arrives in Cherkassy with the latest Cossack cavalry division from Moscow (why new Cossack divisions appear in Moscow instead of some Cossack town is unclear). Depot chain completed to Cherkassy via Ekaterinoslav, Kharkov, and Kursk. Three recruiting and a subversion mission complete.

Late May, 1919: Red morale 79, Siberians 90, Southern White 82. Kamenev has finally assembled all of his forces at Cherkassy and will move on Kiev (for the third time) this turn. Stalin with Southern Front is pretty much fully reorganized in Novocherkassk, ingredients for his fort start abuilding around Tsarytsin. Trotsky besieging Orenburg. Blucher suffers heavy losses from attrition, withdraws to Kazan to refit. Kirov refitting in Aralsk – he got within two regions of Orenburg but then ran out of organization and supplies. It’s a long way! Three requisition, two Cheka, and three subversion missions completed this turn. One subversion mission in the Don – our support now nearly 50 there.

Early June, 1919: Red morale 90, Siberians 88, Southern White 82. A big turn for the Reds: Kamenev with the massed forces of Ukraine Front takes Kiev, Trotsky and Vatsetis take Orenburg. Siberian front embarrassed by their inability to overcome a small White force near Viatka. Northern Front under Bonch-Bruevich moves around White forces to the north of Pskov, now ready to attack Pskov from the east. Zinoviev killed between Tashkent and Samarkand in a fight with a small Green column. Three recruitment missions completed this turn.

Late June, 1919: Red morale 90, Siberians 88, Southern Whites 80. Siberian front trying to link up with small forces around Viataka, hopes to go on to Perm. Northern Front reorganizing at Pskov after a victory over the small White force to the east of the town, small White garrison besieged inside the town. We captured six supply wagons from the Whites in the battle last turn, sending them about the country to build depots to strengthen the supply delivery network. Budenyy to pursue Green force retreating from Kiev. Building units for fort for Kiev in Kursk. Two new divisions from Tambov to Ekaterinoslav with materials for a fort there; those units to move towards Donetsk once the fort is built. Stalin detaches Frunze’s division to attack Lugansk. Kirov moves from Aralsk down to Tashkent to try to restore the situation there after the death of Zinoviev. Guerillas wandering about the Kuban and in vicinity of Tomsk have smashed rail lines, in both cases Whites are slow to repair them. A Red partisan unit has been in Azov for three turns unmolested. If they leave me there one more turn, I’ll be able to move my captured naval transport unit away! Three requisition, two Cheka, and one subversion missions completed this turn. We are now building a tank factory in Petrograd.

Early July, 1919: Red morale 87, Siberians 87, Southern Whites 80. Siberian front under Ordonokhidze still trying to take out a small Siberian White force in Kotelnich in Viatka province. Those guys have cost me two of my International regiments! Northern Front still besieging Pskov. Kamenev and Ukraine Front pursuing retreating Ukrainians out of Kiev. Budenyy’s attack last turn was turned back with heavy losses, but still rated a “stalemate”. Stalin with Southern Front successfully defends Novocherkassk against two White attacks. Next turn, the fort will be done there and Uncle Joe can get on with pacifying the Don. Fort in Ekaterinoslav will be done next turn. Turkestan front under Kirov still trying to clear Greens from the Tashkent/Samarkand region, with seemingly unlimited cavalry reinforcements coming for the whites from Khiva. Eastern Front under Trotsky still pushing slowly along the rail line from Samara towards Ufa, with Vatsetis leading the way. The Iron Division has finished clearing the rail lines between Samara, Orenburg, and Aralsk, and moves back to Samara for rest and refit, leaving one brigade to hold Orenburg. Three recruitment missions completed this turn. Loyalties above 60 in most of central Sovdepia, with loyalties in the 50s in Tver, Novgorod, and Simbirsk.

General comments up to mid-summer 1919: I think the White AI is still a little passive. I expected much more ferocious attacks in the summer of 1918 and again in 1919. The White AI also doesn’t seem to repair rail lines very aggressively. My partisans have kept the Trans-Siberian broken in the Far East throughout the war, and as soon as partisans appeared in central Siberia they kept that link broken as well. The Kuban railway is more destroyed than not and has been throughout the war. On the other hand, White cavalry raiders don’t destroy my rail lines very often. I am quite quick to send cavalry out to chase them around, so maybe they just don’t have the time, but I expected to have to do more rail repair than I have. On the resource breakdown and “special missions” – I have had no shortage of money and WS. The big shortage has been recruits. I probably should have done more event-based recruiting. The ‘party members to the army’ even never seems to work. I did the mobilization event once. I do the ‘Red Cossacks’ event as often as possible and the “special taxation” event once. I think the special taxation event probably should give more money – 20 EPs for 100 rubles seems like a bad trade, especially since it comes with an NM hit too.

I’m going to keep on playing and see how it finishes up.
Stewart King

"There is no substitute for victory"

Depends on how you define victory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:38 am

TheDoctorKing wrote:
General comments up to mid-summer 1919: I think the White AI is still a little passive. I expected much more ferocious attacks in the summer of 1918 and again in 1919. The White AI also doesn’t seem to repair rail lines very aggressively. My partisans have kept the Trans-Siberian broken in the Far East throughout the war, and as soon as partisans appeared in central Siberia they kept that link broken as well. .

Good writing, well done. I didnt read all of them but I will. About rail lines I think another point is AI should build or move Armored trains more often. As playing Siberian whites until 1919 early, most of the central and east railways was controlled by me. It will be better that there would be more skirmish battle with armored trains. As rail movement is crucial for AI also. AI is trying to move ships and intercept some blockage, which is good.

TheDoctorKing

Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:35 am

Actually I had a few run-ins with western navies (the Brits up in the Northern Dvina and the Frogs down on the Don) but no sign of white navies at all. I didn't even know they had any.

I built a few armored trains but I sort of had the impression that they weren't a real good investment. Their replacements cost the earth and their limited mobility makes me question their value. Maybe if they now have a morale effect on troops stacked with them they will be more worth having (I think that might have changed in 1.01a???)
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:10 am

SibWhite have some ships few of them light coastal, others transport total 7-8 ships around Samara in beginning of scenario, and later 2 more British ships join. Reds also have similar amount ships around Volga. but truth is after 1 or 2 battles I didnt see them again.
I used armored trains to open railways quicker but after they got some attrition I didnt even replaced them, they are really expensive. Morale effect can be good and maybe they can repair railroads faster. As it is not practical to buy or even replace them.
This was the latest patch, v1a

TheDoctorKing

Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:03 am

I did see one Siberian gunboat unit in the Caspian. I think he died for lack of ports once I captured Petrovsky (and lost Voroshilov...sniff...)

I built an armored train in Turkestan to keep that nice cirumferential railroad open. And one in Petrograd to stiffen the guys advancing up towards Archangel. But the southern Red front in Tsaritsyn starts with a whole bunch and mostly I just shared those around.

The big thing I wish I'd built more of is supply wagons. I found myself playing catch-up in the spring of 1919. Even though I captured a whole bunch of green and Siberian ones various places.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheDoctorKing

Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:07 am

A couple more turns played this afternoon:

Late July, 1919: Red morale 88, Siberians 88, Southern Whites 78. Heavy weather damage continues even though it is the middle of summer. I guess our boys can’t stand the heat! The Komuch refugees from Volsk escaped across the river despite the presence of my gunboats. I wonder how they did that? And they managed to overwhelm a cavalry division stationed on the other bank. The detailed battle results show them having about 40 health. I guess they were really, really good at foraging to get through a whole winter over there… An air battle over Rostov produced an error message and no losses for either side (but turn execution continued; bug reported in the Tech Support forum). The Whites finally get around to retaking Azov, just in time to prevent me from walking off with their ship. Oh, well. Three requisition missions completed.

Early August, 1919: Red morale 84, Siberians 88, Southern Whites 78. Finally, chased those damn Siberians out of Kotelnich, on to Perm! The Japanese attack Amur Partisan Army, this is the first land combat between intervention forces and Reds during the game. Trotsky finally arrives in Ufa and lays siege to the city. Pskov surrenders to Northern Front (at last). The surrender doesn’t seem to have hurt White morale, though? Or they did something to offset the loss. Kirov beats up on some Greens between Samarkand and Tashkent. Mironov is trying to move towards Bukhara but his armored train and the broken rail line mean that he will take 50 days to go about 60 kilometers! Three Cheka and a recruiting mission complete. I’ve got 53 EPs – I wish there was something I could do with them!

Late August 1919: Red morale 83, Siberians 85, Southern Whites 76. The French have suddenly decided to take a very active hand in the war: four French divisions assaulted the fortified lines at Novocherkassk (though they appear to have been made up of at least half Russian troops) while an actual French division attacked Donetsk. Another French column had a brush with partisans in the Amur region. Stalin is besieging Rostov – I’ve got to figure out if I want to call him back to Novocherkassk to support the garrison there. Northern Front is moving slowly towards Odessa. Trotsky takes Ufa, while the Komuch forces launch an attack on the fortified lines in Samara. The Iron Division will zip back down the rail line to protect Samara. Northern Front has finally cleaned up the Pskov forces – I think it’s time to go after the Balts. Four requisition and three recruiting missions completed. Three subversion missions cancelled, even though the Whites still hold the capitals of all three provinces. I wonder why? Maybe its because I had no money at the beginning of the turn though after the requisition missions got done I had plenty.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rysyonok
Private

Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:36 am

Nice :) Can you post some screenshots as well?

TheDoctorKing

Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:38 pm

I haven't yet figured out how to do that - I'm basically incompetent at computer stuff. I come from the generation of little cardboard counters and dice :p apy:

Any tips?
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rysyonok
Private

Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:12 pm

Sure :)

1. Center the screen on where you want to take the shot.
2. Hit PrintScreen button.
3. Alt-Tab out of RUS, open MS Paint.
4. Paste.
5. Save as .jpg
6. Upload to a free image hosting service, e.g. Photobucket or ImageShack.
7. Copy the image link to your AAR post.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:41 pm

Rysyonok wrote:6. Upload to a free image hosting service, e.g. Photobucket or ImageShack.

6. When 'Reply to Thread', scroll down to 'Additional Options' and 'Manage Attachments' button.

Hohenlohe

Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:07 am

Or you can use Google and try to find "Hoversnap", a snapshot-program which makes jpg-files automatically and save them to a given folder, then you can upload them to photobucket. It is a little bit easier than the mspaint solution, but it is easy to use even for a newbie...

greetings

Hohenlohe
R.I.P. Henry D.

In Remembrance of my Granduncle Hans Weber, a Hungaro-German Soldier,served in Austro-Hungarian Forces during WWI,war prisoner, missed in Sibiria 1918...

TheDoctorKing

Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:27 am

Great, thanks!

Here goes:

Those Frenchmen attacking in the Don

[ATTACH]14212[/ATTACH]

A closer look - funny names for French divisions???

[ATTACH]14213[/ATTACH]
Attachments
French divisions.jpg
French offensive.jpg
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheDoctorKing

Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:31 am

And here's what left of the Komuch army that spent eight months hanging out in the little town of Volsk on the western side of the Volga. They have some pretty impressive supply-gathering techniques!

[ATTACH]14214[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Komuch refugees.jpg
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheDoctorKing

Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:24 am

Another turn:

Early September, 1919: Red morale 88, Siberians 84, Southern Whites 74. Stalin rushes back from Rostov to protect Novocherkassk but the slippery Frenchmen flee to Donetsk. For some reason, they left a division of White cavalry behind, which Stalin disposed of. General Schors was killed in this battle, as were two White officers, one a 4-3-2 two-star (Rodzianko). Same story in Samara – the Iron Division arrives to find the Komuch forces have taken off, apparently down the rail line towards Syzran. No fight this time. Ordonokhidze fails in his assault on Perm, and as a bonus half of the Red Volga flotilla gets sunk by the White guns. So much for naval gunfire support! I got a new training officer, Parsky, who is assigned to Southern Front in Novocherkassk to train up all the conscripts they have been receiving. The British are packing their stuff to depart; hopefully the French will follow. Kamenev takes Odessa against little resistance. We declare war on the Balts and Bonch-Bruevich will move on Riga next turn. No missions completed this turn.

Screenshot showing the situation in the Donbas - French holding out in the middle of the region but both river valleys now securely in Red hands (except for that garrison in Rostov)

[ATTACH]14215[/ATTACH]

The unit moving in from the West along the rail line to Donetsk is Budenny with Konarmia (strength about 600) coming down from Kiev.
Attachments
Donbas.jpg
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rysyonok
Private

Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:51 am

ERISS wrote:6. When 'Reply to Thread', scroll down to 'Additional Options' and 'Manage Attachments' button.

Ah - good catch, I thought this forum didn't allow attachments, thanks for showing this to us :)

TheDoctorKing

Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:07 am

A couple more turns:

Early October, 1919: Red morale 88, Siberians 82, Southern Whites 65. Stalin recaptures Lugansk, but the French slip away again. Budenyy gets slapped around by the French, on the other hand, taking huge casualties even though I had him on conservative defence. So much for the all-conquering Red cavalry! I think I’ll stick with infantry and guns from now on. The German and Baltic forces are proving to be much more powerful than I had expected. I am sending reinforcements from far and wide to that front. Kamenev is coming up from Ukraine with his entire force, less some garrisons. Vatsetis is coming from Ufa, leaving only one regiment behind to hold the town. And Trotsky is moving to the Baltic region to take command from the incompetent Bronch-Bruevich. Two requisition missions and Limited Mobilization this turn (I said I wasn’t going to use it but I broke down, with my NM edge I could afford it and I really really need more troops!)

Late October 1919: Red morale 93, Siberian Whites 70, Southerners 63. Stalin takes Taganrog, and there is a tankadrome there, but for some reason we still can’t build tanks. Hmmm. Northern Front defends itself against a Latvian force at Valga, capturing some artillery and supply wagons, but there is still a powerful force between us and Riga. Kamenev to drive on Vilna, conservatively. A division approaches Riga from the southeast, for scouting purposes. Right now, I’m seeing only a few militia in the city but I bet that’s a false report. Denikin wipes out the remnants of Budenyy’s boys at Lyssytchansk. He has 34,000 men there, and he seems aggressive. I suspect he’s going to move against Lugansk again, so I send Stalin around to face him. Hopefully, the Whites will attack. The weather is still fine across all of Russia, very unusually prolonged dry season this year. Turns out you can’t redeploy Trotsky – I think this is a flaw. Given how fast he got around he if anybody should be able to travel from the Urals to the Baltic coast in one turn. Instead, it is going to take him five turns to get to the action. Five requisitions, two Chekas, and a subversion mission complete.

Here's the Baltic front as of October:

[ATTACH]14247[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Baltic front.JPG
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheDoctorKing

Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:33 am

One more turn, but a big one:

Early November, 1919: Red morale 107, Siberians 64, Southerners 51. This is getting close to being over, now, I think. The first battle report was Makhin storming Balakovo and polishing off the remainder of the Komuch forces, for a 5 NM pickup. Then, another batch of Balts – Estonians this time – attacked Bonch-Bruevich at Valta and he beat them, too, picking up another 2 NM. I guess I was overly hasty in dismissing him as incompetent, he’s actually performing quite well in a difficult position without Trotsky or anybody else you’ve ever heard of around to cover for him. This came just in time when, as predicted, Denikin charged into Lugansk and Uncle Joe and Southern Front handed him various pieces of his anatomy. There were three battles, the first and last were Red victories for 5 and 6 NM gain, and the middle one was a defeat for a loss of 1 NM. Three recruiting missions complete. Money is very short now; I did the raise taxes event but it didn't take effect for some reason.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheDoctorKing

Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:21 am

Another turn:

Late November, 1919: Red morale 116, Siberians 65, Southerners 40. Kamenev takes Kaunas, for some reason it gives me a big morale boost this time. Maybe this time we actually believe we’ll hold it. I wonder why it is costing the Southerners morale? Maybe when they recognized the independence of the neutrals they also assumed responsibility for their losses? The Latvians are about to arrive in Valga. Bonch-Bruevich starts down the rail line towards Riga but scouting forces discover that there is a whole pile of infantry in there – the initial report was two militia, but when I sent a division in there turned out to be 26,485 Latvians. Where did they all come from? Chicago? The whole country only had 1,500,000 people in it in 1919. Maybe they still have a few Germans helping them out. The divisional commanders all have Latvian-sounding names (lots of consonants) but at least half of the units are in grey colors on the battle report. Stalin has recovered his organization in Lugansk and now will go after Denikin in Donetsk. On the other side of the Don, I see four White tank divisions wandering around all by their lonesomes. I hope they freeze. No missions this turn, but I did the raise money option. First Red tanks begin production in Petrograd.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheDoctorKing

Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:21 am

A couple more turns:

Early December, 1919: Red morale 115, Siberians 65, Southerners 37. Seven requisitions, five subversion, and three Cheka missions complete. I sent two divisions up to Tallinn to probe the defenses and they ascertain that there are only about 2000 militia in there, but are unsuccessful in taking the city, retreating on the first round. Denikin comes out of his defenses in Donetsk and meets Stalin in the field at Makeievka, the resulting battle costs each side about 9,000 casualties but ends in a victory for the Red Army, gaining us 3 NM. Stalin stops to reorg and draw replacements for the approximately 90 hits of Cossacks he suffered. Parsky will come around from Rostov via Taganrog with Stalin’s armored trains and make a conservative attack on Donetsk. There is a corps of Whites there, we’ll see how serious they are about fighting us with an NM of 37. The fortified lines are finished in Perm; Ordzhonikidze begins a cautious advance towards Ekaterinburg. Kamenev is reorganizing in Kaunas, while his 1st Army moves up the rail line towards Riga. Hopefully he can intercept any reinforcements heading for Riga from the south. Bronch-Bruevich, tired of waiting for Trotsky, heads for Riga himself. The Latvians, now under the command of P.I. Stuka, head north from Valga towards Tallinn, to hook up with the defeated recon element and maybe actually take out the Estonians at last. I notice that, thanks to experience, Stalin is now a quite respectable 3-3-5. Thomas (from AACW) in a red suit. I’m going to do the limited mobilization event again, we’ll see if it works.

Late December 1919: Red morale 113, Siberians 66, Southerners 34. Big fight at Riga: Bonch-Bruevich drove the Latvians back into their fortifications even though he was outnumbered 45000 to 35000. My general Nadiozhny was killed in the battle. I reassign 1.Ukrainian Army to Bonch-Bruevich’s Northern Front and position them across the Dvina from Riga, hoping for a march to the sound of the guns if there is a Latvian sortie next turn. Also next turn, Trotsky should finally appear. I put Ghai-Khan in charge of a newly-created Volga Front (the game calls it Don Front, but anyway) at Samara. It is pretty quiet down there. No missions this turn.

Early January 1920: Red morale 113, Siberians 67, Southerners 25. Three recruiting, five requisition, three Cheka and a subversion mission complete. A green uprising in Moscow? I haven’t ever done any missions there. I wonder how that works? Stalin and Parsky back off from Donetsk, for reasons I don’t understand. I guess their organization was too low and they declined to fight a sortie by Denikin. Ah, well. Stuka finally gets to Tallinn, and takes it. I get 10 EPs but apparently not NM. Odd. And the siege of Riga continues. There is a large Latvian force inside and my guys are still low on organization. Next turn, Kamenev and Trotsky will move in – maybe that will give us enough initiative to finish them off. I’m tired of the every-turn deduction of one NM for failure to capture the damn place.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheDoctorKing

Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:17 am

Early January 1920 continued: Why is Kaunas now listed as contested control? I have a regular infantry unit garrisoning the place (a light infantry brigade), I have 100% military control of the region, there are no enemies in the region as far as I can see. Hmmm? Ordzhonikidze and Blucher will assault Ekaterinburg.

Late January 1920: Red morale 114, Siberians 67, Southern Whites 25. Two subversion and three Cheka missions complete. Stalin beats up on the southerners around Donetsk, capturing a pile of supply wagons that still don’t seem to be able to build a depot and a small airfield unit. He will continue to attack this turn, with Budenyy and the rebuilt Konarmia going after a pack of White cavalry in the region to the north.

[ATTACH]14314[/ATTACH]

Trotsky declines to assault Riga. I’ll send Kamenev next turn. Running around beating up on various Green uprisings in the central region.

[ATTACH]14315[/ATTACH]

Ordzhonikidze takes Ekaterinburg. Parsky and Stalin’s 3rd Corps will cross the Don and try to take Azov, opening the road to the Kuban. Frunze re-assigned to command in Tzaritsyn and leads two cavalry divisions down the rail line towards Salsk. He is on “conservative” and will retreat if confronted, but hopefully he’ll put a scare into the Whites. Turkestan Front will move up towards Khiva. Time we got rid of that nest of savages.

Early February, 1920: Red morale 116, Siberians 67, Southern Whites 23. No missions this turn. Trotsky and company still refuse to assault Riga. I had Trotsky in a different unit on defensive, with the two fronts and the one army stack set on assault. Maybe Trotsky being the highest-seniority officer overruled his buddies. I have merged him into the other stacks to see if I can get an assault next turn. Kirov turned away at Khiva by a smaller force, but somehow he manages to get commended anyway. They’re Greens, so they have a morale of 100. The Greens are turning out to be a more threatening opponent than the Whites now. Stalin continues to clean up on the remnant Whites in Donetsk. Budenyy pursues some fleeing White cavalry towards the Don.
Attachments
green spots.JPG
Red Don.JPG
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheDoctorKing

Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:17 am

A couple more turns:

Late February 1920: Red morale 110, Siberians 65, Southerners 26. Five requisitions, four Chekas, and two subversion missions complete. The assault on Riga was unsuccessful! Ural Front takes out a small White force outside Ufa and somehow picks up two NM. Blucher is clearing small Green forces around Perm and Ekaterinburg. Building lots of supply wagons as I have discovered that captured supply wagons can’t be used to build depots. I still haven’t been able to make the recruit prisoners, air force, or party members to the army options work. Looking at the event file, there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong, I meet all the qualifications but the events just don’t take effect. Frustrating!

Early March 1920: Red Morale 105, Siberians 67, Southerners 26. Two requisitions and two Cheka missions complete. Kamenev starts back to the Ukraine, leaving Bonch-Bruevich and Trotsky to complete the capture of Riga. It’s got to work sometime! I bought some replacement points to build up the Baltic Fleet’s destroyers, but I think it will take many more ships to blockade the port of Riga. In the meantime, they are getting plenty of supplies. I keep making breaches in the walls but they aren’t surrendering. The Green threat is really becoming serious now. They are all over the core regions and I have five divisions running around playing whack-a-mole. Anything smaller than a division gets beat. Supply is a continual hassle out there too.

Late March, 1920. Red morale 103, Siberians 67, Southerners 27. No missions this turn. Kamenev helped launch an assault on Riga before departing, but it was unsuccessful again. I had three breaches but they managed to hold out anyway. The Latvian division showed up on day 15 and launched another assault, successfully, but the city wasn’t captured????? The General of the Latvian division appears to have been killed though there was no report. He may be somewhere, like Budenyy. Stalin and Frunze advance into the Kuban as far as Tikhoretskaya. Next turn Ekaterinodar! If we can get rid of those Greeks and Frenchmen, maybe we can redeploy to the Ukraine in time to take on the Poles.

Early April, 1920. Red morale 101, Siberian 68, Southerners 21. Stalin besieges Ekaterinodar while Budenyy finishes off the Whites on the western shore of the Don. As soon as he recovers some org, I’ll have him head down the coast to the Crimea. Kolchak appears near Ekaterinberg, and Blucher rushes back from his sport with the Greens to help defend the city. Hopefully Ordzhonikidze will be able to hold out until he arrives. A bunch of Estonians is wandering around now, who knows where they came from? I’m sending reinforcements to Tallinn. A new general, Timoshenko, appears.

Late April, 1920. Red morale 115, Siberians 72, Southerners 4. Two recruiting, two requisitions, and a subversion mission complete. The whites surrendered to Stalin in Ekaterinodar. On the other hand, Kolchak took Yekaterinburg back from Ural Front; Blucher and his boys are still miles away – the weather changed and slowed his movement, I believe. Kirov fights hard for Khiva and wins two battles but does not capture the place. Same thing for Bonch-Bruevich in Riga. Gotta admire those Letts, they really know how to fight to the last man! Sort of like my little garrisons in Siberia at the beginning of the game. Kamenev takes Chernigov.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TheDoctorKing

Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:39 am

I took Riga and got the victory screen:

[ATTACH]14350[/ATTACH]

But the Siberians are still doing fine. Their morale is up to 72 and they are on the offensive. They might even retake Perm though the Siberian Front is trying to cut off their supplies.

And the Poles have yet to enter (and if they're smart, they'll settle for what they've got).

You should have to beat all your major opponents to get the victory screen.
Attachments
victory.JPG
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Baris
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:59 am

Well done excellent AAR thanks,
As the name refers as a the King AAR, struggle should continue with Drang campaign so it will be epic. :D

I recently beat the game as Southern whites, didnt take all cities especially Petrograd, but it is called as a victory. NM genarally can be low during end game which results NM victory mostly. As playing Reds victory over 2 whites should be called a victory I agree.

TheDoctorKing

Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:54 pm

I intend to play the Drang campaign too, but I am waiting until the AI fix comes out for it.

I played another ten turns or so without keeping careful track turn-by-turn. Siberian Front zipped back into Yekaterinburg accompanied by Blucher's column. I also rushed reinforcements back from the western front to support them, and brought Trotsky back to take command. I built a fortified lines in Yekaterinburg. Kolchak's forces besieged Perm for a while, then turned and came back, fought an inconclusive battle against me there, then moved back towards Omsk. Volga Front aka Don Front pushed up from Ufa to Chelyabinsk and took it without much trouble. Kamenev took the Crimea and turned back to face the Poles in the Western Ukraine. By the time the Poles came in, I had a very large army as I did the Partial Mobilization event twice and had piles of money from all my requisition missions. By this point the Siberian morale was getting quite low, in the 20s. So I decided that I really had won.

Very interesting and challenging game. I'll post some final thoughts later.
Stewart King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “RUS: Revolution Under Siege AARs”