Lynxyonok
AGEod Veteran

Re: 1921, September, Late, Rumania

Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:02 am

ERISS wrote:If you're in "Allied Reds" option, you can't (but I think it was written, maybe you didn't remember). That's what I wanted to explain: for me it is not historical, among the few points where I disagree with Andatiep: I think reds allied would too make all they can for the anarchists to be removed in the end, or suffer threat of constant political breaches for people are able to claim more freedom (like removing the comissars and the tcheka power) in the "dictatorship of the proletariat". (Anarchists were at first in the tcheka!, but flee it in the other option when SR tried to kill Lenin and then Lenin made paranoïd -before Stalin- gave all power to the tcheka, which became the red mafia. But even in the "kind" option, I think allied Reds would become too power mongers for those anarchists who don't want this power. In France, the "Parti Communiste" had first be created by some french anarchists in 1919! but who flee it when they saw their marxist error (and those who didn't flee were then excluded by invited leninists). And even now this story tend to be removed from the parti story, telling the french party was made by leninists in 1920)

I do find Reds United to be a much more powerful choice. Fighting against Reds united on Veteran level has got to be the most challenging experience.

ERISS wrote:Elite white tend to have a big turn over as they're compelled by their honor, all killed doing the thougher job, but the whites want to honor the founder of the elite regiment and keep it alive with the best remaining men from other units.
It may be this integered in the game, and I don't know where's the limit of this resurect.

I just didn't think that unique units could be rebuilt, but that may be due to my lack of RUS experience and overprotection of best regiments. I strongly believe though that Red Latvians and Red Internationalist regiments are one and done, no rebuilds.

Lynxyonok
AGEod Veteran

1921, October, Early, Ural

Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:11 am

Ural remains a solid White stronghold as we're wrapping up the campaign. Away from main objectives; not a necessity once at least 1-2 batches of veteran troops transit Samara - Orenburg - Aralsk - Tashkent, it is laying by the wayside. Red fleets do patrol Volga, preventing any major westward movements, but overall, this is probably as good as it's going to get here for me.
Attachments
1.png
1.png (1.19 MiB) Viewed 7201 times

Lynxyonok
AGEod Veteran

1921, October, Early, Last builds?

Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:19 am

Brand new garrison of Khabarovsk: very likely the last builds in this game (6 turns remain).
Attachments
1.png
1.png (165.57 KiB) Viewed 7201 times

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:54 pm

Lynxyonok wrote:I just didn't think that unique units could be rebuilt. I strongly believe though that Red Latvians and Red Internationalist regiments are one and done, no rebuilds.

Yes, it's only for white regiments, and IIRC only the AI is able do it,
the human player was not allowed (maybe for both balance and tiring of dev).

Maybe, if the AI doesn't know how to tactically historically handle them, the AI should too reborn the Red elites?:
Reds had care for those elites, they sent in front of them sacrificial units to open/soften them the road (like makhnovists, who felt honored to show their courage for the revolution, then in the end were thanked by the Reds by being machineguned). Countrary to white, where it was the elite task to make the thougher job.
But I think AGE is good for the Reds, as in battles it tends to destroy first "bad" regiments.

Lynxyonok
AGEod Veteran

Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:33 pm

ERISS wrote:But I think AGE is good for the Reds, as in battles it tends to destroy first "bad" regiments.

Interesting - casualties aren't random but are rather weakest-link-based?

Lynxyonok
AGEod Veteran

1921, October, Early, Vladivostok

Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:51 pm

Reds are making one final push for the Pacific Ocean.
Attachments
1.png
1.png (372.17 KiB) Viewed 7166 times

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:10 am

Lynxyonok wrote:casualties aren't random but are rather weakest-link-based?

I begin to tell bad. It's random, but reds is able to have more numerous but fragile units where randomness to give hits.

Lynxyonok
AGEod Veteran

Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:49 am

ERISS wrote:
Lynxyonok wrote:casualties aren't random but are rather weakest-link-based?

I begin to tell bad. It's random, but reds is able to have more numerous but fragile units where randomness to give hits.

Funny fact - I've had short-duration (but large-scale, 10K+ on the Red side) battles where the only Red loss was an MP unit, which kind of made me feel like WON / Empires in Arms rule of Committing the Guard to stem a retreat.

Lynxyonok
AGEod Veteran

1921, October, Late, Baltic Republics

Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:55 am

The white forces are finally appearing to be exhausted just 5 turns before the campaign ends; there haven't been any major sieges or battles in a turn or two. There are still a couple of roving bands around, and I may be missing an occasional stack that had travelled all the way inland into Red Russia, but overall, it's quiet. There is a seemingly Western White corps in Rezekne, but it's staying put.
Attachments
1.png
1.png (1.25 MiB) Viewed 7138 times

Lynxyonok
AGEod Veteran

1921, October, Late, Novgorod

Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:04 am

During the later phases of the game, I've been reduced to sending out recruit leaderless forces just to rebuild by communication lines. Yes, even despite having 12 HQs working overtime, there were still weak units. Now, most of those raiders did serve their purpose - rebuilding railroads, capturing empty hexes, etc. Except one of them tried to act like a siege force... yes, never again. They've been stuck around some meaningless town for a while, and de facto they are a loss.
Attachments
1.png
1.png (252.29 KiB) Viewed 7138 times

Lynxyonok
AGEod Veteran

1921, October, Late, Objectives

Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:47 am

It's interesting how Reds still haven't been able to defeat either of White armies: there are roving bands from both factions. Eastern Whites still have a chunk of Japanese and Polish forces too.
Attachments
1.png
1.png (745.1 KiB) Viewed 7137 times

Lynxyonok
AGEod Veteran

1921, November, Early, Vladivostok

Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:14 am

And using the last ray of sunshine, the very last possible hour of sunny weather, Reds walk into Vladivostok. That, dear gentlemen, is the game. Every objective is held by the Reds; weather is quite painful for the Whites, as few of them are still left, to do anything else. My only regret - I did not get to bring elite Latvian divisions all the way to the Pacific; too much distraction, you see, too many delays. Perhaps, next time...
Attachments
1.png
1.png (337.83 KiB) Viewed 6792 times

Lynxyonok
AGEod Veteran

1921, November, Early, Ukraine

Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:20 am

It's important to acknowledge: despite my best efforts, Ukrainian and Polish troops remained a thorn in my side until the very end. Even with every supply point under Red banner, they kept getting reinforcements, and the equivalent of 7 corps (28 divisions) had to stay in the west the entire time. That's the weakness of Reds: they build up their factories in 1919 - early 1920, they enjoy rail capacity boost, but that's gone by late 1920, and all those powerful divisions have no way to get to Caucasus, Siberia, Far East. A player has to learn to split their forces, but wisely, of course.
2.png
2.png (1.26 MiB) Viewed 6792 times

Lynxyonok
AGEod Veteran

1921, November, Early, Northern Theater

Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:24 am

In a sense, I wish there was more incentive to fight in the North. A Red player can just let those weak White supply chains collapse and sit back; I'm guilty of doing it. Yet, the war is won; at least anywhere but the North.
3.png
3.png (1.39 MiB) Viewed 6791 times

Lynxyonok
AGEod Veteran

1921, November, Early, Wallachia

Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:32 am

The most decorated unit of the game: one of two 7-star Latvian regiments in Rumania. There was one more 6-star there too, and 2 more 6-stars in Far East, although not quite by Vladivostok.
Attachments
1.png
1.png (215.65 KiB) Viewed 6790 times

deguerra
Major

Re: Past 1920: An AAR midway - on

Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:36 am

Just wanted to say I read this with great interest (while also playing my own RUS campaign). Thank you very much for sharing, these AARs are always appreciated.

-deguerra

Lynxyonok
AGEod Veteran

Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:48 am

deguerra wrote:Just wanted to say I read this with great interest (while also playing my own RUS campaign). Thank you very much for sharing, these AARs are always appreciated.

-deguerra

Anytime, and thank you so much for reading. Any questions you might have, just ask. And if you'd like a PBEM, that's an option too :)

deguerra
Major

Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:38 pm

I'm afraid I lack the time commitment for PBEM against anyone but myself, sometimes I think my turns end up taking longer than the period of time they historically cover :wacko:

As to questions though: I've noticed that (for myself at least) the Southern Whites at the start have gone from being quite an easy start in RUS to quite a difficult position in RUS Gold: the Red armies in the North Caucasus are significantly stronger (albeit hampered by positioning and immobile turns), but I've really struggled to follow anywhere near the historical timeline of the Kuban Campaign and capture of Ekaterinodar.

As this was outside the timeline of your AAR (and all the Southern White AARs on the forum are pre-RUS Gold) - how did this play out in your campaign? Were your armies in the North Caucasus defeated early on, or were you able to hold onto it?

Thanks!
-deguerra

Lynxyonok
AGEod Veteran

Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:01 am

deguerra wrote:I'm afraid I lack the time commitment for PBEM against anyone but myself, sometimes I think my turns end up taking longer than the period of time they historically cover :wacko:

As to questions though: I've noticed that (for myself at least) the Southern Whites at the start have gone from being quite an easy start in RUS to quite a difficult position in RUS Gold: the Red armies in the North Caucasus are significantly stronger (albeit hampered by positioning and immobile turns), but I've really struggled to follow anywhere near the historical timeline of the Kuban Campaign and capture of Ekaterinodar.

As this was outside the timeline of your AAR (and all the Southern White AARs on the forum are pre-RUS Gold) - how did this play out in your campaign? Were your armies in the North Caucasus defeated early on, or were you able to hold onto it?

Thanks!
-deguerra

As a Red, I'm able to hold Caucasus in most of my games, having lost it only once, and even that in 2019 due to over-confidence. On the other hand, as a player, I always take Ekaterinodar on Turn 1, and then it's starvation incorporated for the Reds. But I will agree: Southerners have a very difficult start in RUS. Both White factions do... then again, I always play on Colonel level, so that's a factor.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:11 pm

Seeing your images, I'm suddenly happy and proud of all the small enhancement of the UI, which were (almost?) all ideas of mine or based on my tiny mods. I remember how I was upset with 1st RUS, and decided to correct those UI errors, and, more important, tutorial errors, which could lose and frustrate the newbs' and make them badly review the game.
It's like an old love, wondering what will remain as a life. I guess some new generation fans would rediscover the game and decide to make a 3rd RUS, very probably on another engine.

Lynxyonok
AGEod Veteran

Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:53 am

ERISS wrote:Seeing your images, I'm suddenly happy and proud of all the small enhancement of the UI, which were (almost?) all ideas of mine or based on my tiny mods. I remember how I was upset with 1st RUS, and decided to correct those UI errors, and, more important, tutorial errors, which could lose and frustrate the newbs' and make them badly review the game.
It's like an old love, wondering what will remain as a life. I guess some new generation fans would rediscover the game and decide to make a 3rd RUS, very probably on another engine.

These are such beautiful words, and I can only imagine how much passion went into the increments that you have provided, with no expectation of positive feedback in return. For let's face it, customers rarely speak up when things are right...

RUS is a beautiful game. You made it worthy, Sir.

andrzej
Major

Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:06 am

ERISS wrote:It's like an old love, wondering what will remain as a life. I guess some new generation fans would rediscover the game and decide to make a 3rd RUS, very probably on another engine.

I 'm making a mod to transfer RUS to the TEAW engine .

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:58 pm

Lynxyonok wrote:how much passion went into the increments that you have provided, with no expectation of positive feedback in return. RUS is a beautiful game. You made it worthy, Sir.

My own return was sufficient to please me :)
moreover when I see that it was integered in the game. Sometimes it was not my actual work, but my idea (that I had however worked on) made by a proffesional as I was not skilled enough (in artistic area).
Only one was against, but it's a sad story as he was a hard work modder, but not a good man (heavily insulting) so he was pushed to leave (Andatiep really don't like him, too).

andrzej wrote:I 'm making a mod to transfer RUS to the TEAW engine

To End All Wars? I didn't imagine the engine was so an enhancement. That should be a good idea, as they may be 'brother' games, engines from same devs. I really don't promise I'll reinstall the game and help...

Return to “RUS: Revolution Under Siege AARs”