Krot
Sergeant

The Northern Dvina flotilla

Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:23 pm

During Russian Civil War the Northern Dvina had great importance for opposing sides. In 1918-1919 the Red, White and British flotillas were very active providing effective and often decisive artillery support for their troops and fighting enemy flotillas.
In RUS Kotlas is the only Northern Dvina port left for Red flotilla after Arkhangelsk captured by Whites and Allies (Brits). It makes the flotilla position very vulnerable and directly contradicts history. In fact though the Northern Dvina flotilla was organized and based in Kotlas (because it had rail connection with Petrograd) it had another convenient shelter. It was Velikiy Ustyug where all flotilla vessels spent Winter of 1918-1919 and from where they sailed to rival Brits in Spring.
My source for the information posted above is "Civil War. Military actions on sea, river and lake systems", vol. II. North West.
I hope that adding a port in Velikiy Ustyug and making navigabe a part of the Upper Norhern Dvina between Velikiy Ustyug and Kotlas will answer history and help to secure the position of Red flotilla.

Athens
Brigadier General

Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:47 am

Krot wrote:During Russian Civil War the Northern Dvina had great importance for opposing sides. In 1918-1919 the Red, White and British flotillas were very active providing effective and often decisive artillery support for their troops and fighting enemy flotillas.
In RUS Kotlas is the only Northern Dvina port left for Red flotilla after Arkhangelsk captured by Whites and Allies (Brits). It makes the flotilla position very vulnerable and directly contradicts history. In fact though the Northern Dvina flotilla was organized and based in Kotlas (because it had rail connection with Petrograd) it had another convenient shelter. It was Velikiy Ustyug where all flotilla vessels spent Winter of 1918-1919 and from where they sailed to rival Brits in Spring.
My source for the information posted above is "Civil War. Military actions on sea, river and lake systems", vol. II. North West.
I hope that adding a port in Velikiy Ustyug and making navigabe a part of the Upper Norhern Dvina between Velikiy Ustyug and Kotlas will answer history and help to secure the position of Red flotilla.

Done in next FY version.
Fatal Years mod for RUS: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2875975

My blog: http://moddercorner.com/about/

[SIZE="2"]Players quotes about Fatal Years:[/size]

the more I play this the more I become convinced that RUS is one of the best strategy games I have ever played... and I have played many since the mid 80's. The AI in this mod is at level with Sid Meier's best efforts.

Krot
Sergeant

Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:25 am

Hi Athens. I am glad that you have addressed this issue in your excellent mod. Nice to see that you have been continuing your work on FY. :thumbsup:

As you can see my activity on the forum is rather limited now. You know, in Russia weather is tolerable only in summer season. :)

Nevertheless if you are interested in changing initial setup of forces in GC I may try to post my suggestions concerning the battles for East Siberia and Russian Far East in the summer 1918 (which is absent in RUS). I remember you did splendid work in beefing up the forces of both parties in the Urals region according to the data of AeonTal.

Athens
Brigadier General

Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:19 am

Krot wrote:Hi Athens. I am glad that you have addressed this issue in your excellent mod. Nice to see that you have been continuing your work on FY. :thumbsup:

As you can see my activity on the forum is rather limited now. You know, in Russia weather is tolerable only in summer season. :)

Nevertheless if you are interested in changing initial setup of forces in GC I may try to post my suggestions concerning the battles for East Siberia and Russian Far East in the summer 1918 (which is absent in RUS). I remember you did splendid work in beefing up the forces of both parties in the Urals region according to the data of AeonTal.

Hi.

Thanks.

I can't promise you anything as Siberian AI is really complex and fragile ( just a little miracle Siberian AI is searching to both control Transsiberian and taking offensive on the Volga...); So any new forces could break this behaviour. WHat I can say on the contrary is what you would post would be studied by me and tried :) .

Regards.
Fatal Years mod for RUS: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2875975

My blog: http://moddercorner.com/about/

[SIZE="2"]Players quotes about Fatal Years:[/size]

the more I play this the more I become convinced that RUS is one of the best strategy games I have ever played... and I have played many since the mid 80's. The AI in this mod is at level with Sid Meier's best efforts.

Return to “Help to improve RUS”