giperforg
Private

error 0xc0000142 at start

Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:20 pm

Hi!

I have a problem with AGEOD games(EAW, RUS, don't try CW2 and NC yet). Then I try to launch game the error 0xc0000142 occurs. Game don't create any new logs. Don't have any trouble with other games.

My PC: windows 8.1
core i5
8GB RAM
gtx 760

I clearly remember what last summer I already have this specs and games works fine.
Any suggestion?

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:39 pm

Do you run them as administrator, in option tab? you should.

giperforg
Private

Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:09 pm

ERISS wrote:Do you run them as administrator, in option tab? you should.

Yes, I tried it, but error still here.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:02 pm

giperforg wrote:I clearly remember what last summer I already have this specs and games works fine. Any suggestion?

Maybe you forgot that by this time you had reinstall something, which software is missing or not up-to-date.

do a "sfc /scannow" from a dos prompt (Start, then Execute). This will scan all the system files and may replace them with better versions for the OS. Once the process is complete reboot your machine.

giperforg
Private

Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:22 pm

ERISS wrote:do a "sfc /scannow" from a dos prompt (Start, then Execute). This will scan all the system files and may replace them with better versions for the OS. Once the process is complete reboot your machine.

Still doesn't work. For now I try update windows. Do I need all updates or only important?

Pocus

Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:56 am

I don't think it comes from Windows update. There is a variety of reasons why a game can't run, you better for this kind of problems contact support@slitherine.co.uk, they will run you through a number of possible issues and solutions.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

giperforg
Private

Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:06 am

Pocus wrote:I don't think it comes from Windows update. There is a variety of reasons why a game can't run, you better for this kind of problems contact support@slitherine.co.uk, they will run you through a number of possible issues and solutions.

Thanks, I will try to ask them.

Ruskolnikov
Sergeant

Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:13 pm

Hi

I am not a PC expert and I am not familiar with Win8.
To try to resolve this on Win7 I would try the following (and I hope and expect that it is applicable to Win8)

The error can be caused by a program not having access to a file (such as a DLL which are small files shared by multiple programs) that it needs so:

1.Create a system restore point - Click the Start button + right-click Computer + click Properties.
In the left pane, click System protection. Type Administrator password or provide confirmation if requested
Click the System Protection tab, and then click Create.
In the System Protection dialog box, type a description, and then click Create.

If anything goes wrong we can restore the PC

2.Open the command prompt by clicking start + click Run and in the Command Prompt screen type sfc /scannow (there is a space between c and /)
Type the Administrator password if requested, or click Allow.
The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.
If it finds anything run SFC again until it does not find anything - it should give you a message saying something to the effect that it cannot correct any files

3.The error could be caused by another program interfering with the game - antivirus, antimalware and firewalls would be a good example.
Try disabling these programs (excluding the game from scanning in the security program should work also) and then starting your game. If the error has gone it will simply be a case of starting one security program at a time and then starting your game to determine which security program is at fault.

If this does not work then performing a clean boot may help to locate what program is interfering.
To perform a clean boot have a look at https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
Once you have clean booted start you game - if it works then it looks like it is a software conflict.
The next step is to perform another clean boot and add start up programs one by one and then start the game until you get your error message.
Once the error returns you know what program is interfering - re-installing it should this program should fix the issue with your game

Anyway..I hope this helps and good luck

regards

Mark

giperforg
Private

Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:50 pm

Ruskolnikov wrote:
2.Open the command prompt by clicking start + click Run and in the Command Prompt screen type sfc /scannow (there is a space between c and /)
Type the Administrator password if requested, or click Allow.
The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.
If it finds anything run SFC again until it does not find anything - it should give you a message saying something to the effect that it cannot correct any files

Thanks for this advise. I don't like any trouble in system and after 10 sfc /scannow and manually downloading requested file it finally "didn't find any trouble". But games still not working(I tried clean boot), so I think only windows reinstall can help. Anyway, thanks to all for help :) .

Ruskolnikov
Sergeant

Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:15 pm

Lemelem
Private

Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:29 pm

Giperforg can you fix problem? I have same error too.

giperforg
Private

Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:59 pm

Lemelem wrote:Giperforg can you fix problem? I have same error too.

Nope, I read you message on this forum
I have my new laptop. Install CW2 and EAW from steam. First time games start correctly. After i update windows, framework etc.. wont start ageod games. '' CW2.exe application error (0xc0000142) '' EAW same error too.
and think it consequences of windows update, because now I remember what AGEOD games work fine before the windows update.

Pocus

Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:08 am

Did you contact the Helpdesk so they can help you find what is the file causing the crash? support@slitherine.co.uk

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Lemelem
Private

Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:20 am

Pocus wrote:Did you contact the Helpdesk so they can help you find what is the file causing the crash? support@slitherine.co.uk

Yes I contacted them.

uploaded a video about the problem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMMdOqWu0JI&feature=youtu.be

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:48 pm

Ruskolnikov wrote:3.The error could be caused by another program interfering with the game - antivirus, antimalware and firewalls would be a good example.

Lemelem uses Steam, maybe Giperforg too.

giperforg
Private

Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:16 pm

Lemelem wrote:uploaded a video about the problem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMMdOqWu0JI&feature=youtu.be

Exactly the same - nothing happen from launcher and error 0xc0000142 from exe.
Did you contact the Helpdesk so they can help you find what is the file causing the crash? support@slitherine.co.uk

They don't advise anything special, just reinstall drivers etc. I tried it, even delete all windows update and error still here.

Ruskolnikov
Sergeant

Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:21 pm

Hi again

I still think that this is a DLL dependency issue - a DLL required by the application cannot be called as the application is started

I suggested this above after my first attempt did not help you and I wonder if you tried it? http://deshack.net/windows-how-to-so...nd-0xc0000005/

If that does not work perhaps this will: Dependency walker http://www.dependencywalker.com/
and tutorial here http://www.thewindowsclub.com/dependency-walker-download
It will detail all DLL's called by an application. If something is missing etc it will be highlighted and you can be replace/install the required DLL

I hope this helps

regards

Mark

giperforg
Private

Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:26 pm

Ruskolnikov wrote:Hi again
I suggested this above after my first attempt did not help you and I wonder if you tried it? http://deshack.net/windows-how-to-so...nd-0xc0000005/

I tried it, but didn't find anything.
If that does not work perhaps this will: Dependency walker http://www.dependencywalker.com/
and tutorial here http://www.thewindowsclub.com/depend...alker-download
It will detail all DLL's called by an application. If something is missing etc it will be highlighted and you can be replace/install the required DLL

Dependency tells me this
[ATTACH]33098[/ATTACH]
It find missing dlls in every game(except d3d8.dll). Can it be something with CPU?
Attachments
2.jpg
1.jpg

giperforg
Private

Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:40 pm

Ruskolnikov wrote:Hi again

I tried it, but didn't find anything.
and tutorial here http://www.thewindowsclub.com/depend...alker-download

Dependency tells me this
[ATTACH]33104[/ATTACH]
It find missing dlls in every game(except d3d8.dll). Can it be something with CPU?
Attachments
2.jpg

Ruskolnikov
Sergeant

Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:10 pm

Hi

I could not open the attachment - says it is an invalid attachment

Regards

Mark

Ruskolnikov
Sergeant

Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:09 pm

Hi

Now I can see it

There is an error message saying that the system could not find a file specified - but this is in Russian.
What language are you running the operating system in please ?

thanks

Mark

Ruskolnikov
Sergeant

Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:15 pm

Hi

The CPU error can be ignored as Dependency Walker doesn't not seem to be able to skip 32-bit DLLs in PATH when processing a 64-bit EXE

When it was first released only 32bit exe's were around. The program is still very good at its intended purpose.

regards

Mark

Ruskolnikov
Sergeant

Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:03 am

HI

Lemelem - do you have a nVidia GTX graphics card ...if so which one?

thanks

Mark

Lemelem
Private

Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:14 pm

Ruskolnikov wrote:HI

Lemelem - do you have a nVidia GTX graphics card ...if so which one?

thanks

Mark

Intel® Core™ i7-4710MQ
nVIDIA® GeForce® GTX860M
Win 8.1

Ruskolnikov
Sergeant

Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:39 pm

Hi

You both have Win 8 and nVidia graphics cards

I have been reading about this error and I have found that other programs have been having this problem and some people had success using different video card drivers.
So my first thought is to run the game in compatibility mode - right click the game exe or its shortcut + select the compatibility tab + tick the box "run this program in compatibility mode for" and then experiment with Win 7 XP etc.
If this does not work turn off compatibility mode - I am not expecting this to work but its worth a try.

My second thought is to remove the graphics card drivers and install an older driver version. If this works then we know what is causing this issue and can focus on where and how to fix this

Lemelem - you say the game initially worked - if so and it was say 3 months ago then trying a graphics card driver earlier than this would be a good idea.
Giperforg - Driver dependency looks ok as most of the DLL's that were highlighted are ok - there a couple I need to read up on and will get back if they require replacement. Also Eriss asked you and I did not see an answer - is your game through steam?

I am sorry what I have suggested to date has not worked

regards

Mark

giperforg
Private

Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:37 pm

Ruskolnikov wrote:Hi
Also Eriss asked you and I did not see an answer - is your game through steam?

Yes, it is. Reinstallation of the driver didn't help me(I tried old and new version).

Lemelem
Private

Tue May 05, 2015 12:18 pm

[ATTACH]33548[/ATTACH]

I upload new Squall.dd file in game folder. Same for Tree game, and work again.

http://windowshata.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Squall.dll_.zip
Attachments
ssasasdasd.png

Return to “RUS Technical support / Aide technique”