Altaris

Strange bug - leaders always active

Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:11 am

Got a very strange bug going on. Leaders in RUS are always active, something seems to be going wrong in the activation algorithm. This seems to be just an issue on my machine, as the people I play mp with are not having the same problem. I also don't have this issue with any other AGEOD games except RUS. Not sure if it's always been a problem or not, seems like at one time I was able to host turns without this problem though (or maybe I just never noticed it).

Any ideas what might be machine specific that would cause the leader rolls to always go active? If I get a leader created by event, they seem to be arbritrarily active or inactive, but as soon as the leader exists during a turn that is processed, they always end up active.

Tried a full re-install, still having the same issue.

Very vexing, and unsure what could be causing it. Is there some random number seed pulled from an internal clock or something obscure like that? Kinda stretching to figure out the reason at this point.

DarkGarry
Lieutenant

Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:02 am

There is a setting for Activation in Game options. There you can set Activation to have Leaders always active or restrict it.

By the way, always active leaders - my favorite setting. I don't understand what real world behavior is simulated by Activation. In my opinion if the order given - it is executed (or commander relieved from command and goes to military court = executed).

Altaris

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:38 pm

DarkGarry wrote:There is a setting for Activation in Game options. There you can set Activation to have Leaders always active or restrict it.

By the way, always active leaders - my favorite setting. I don't understand what real world behavior is simulated by Activation. In my opinion if the order given - it is executed (or commander relieved from command and goes to military court = executed).

I'll take a look later tonight to see if this is the issue. Where is it set at? In the in-game options screen, or the .opt file? I don't recall changing this in either place, but could've been in error.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:58 pm

DarkGarry wrote:, always active leaders - my favorite setting. I don't understand what real world behavior is simulated by Activation. In my opinion if the order given - it is executed (or commander relieved from command and goes to military court = executed).

Power of dinasties and confort of hierarchy. Commanders are easily not the best for the task, and won't be executed as they can be the political power (or chosen as the best pawns by the power).
Political independant commanders have to be more than excellent if they don't want to die early in accident.

Altaris

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:59 pm

The line in General.opt reads:

AlwaysActivable = 0

So that does not appear to be the issue... not sure what's going on here!

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:55 am

I was playing earlier and was definitely getting inactive generals. What side are you playing?

Altaris

Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:20 pm

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne wrote:I was playing earlier and was definitely getting inactive generals. What side are you playing?

RED side.

I'm positive now that it's some sort of weird bug on my machine. I tried a complete reinstall of RUS, still having the same problem. Checked all my files and everything. I sent the exact same files to my PBEM opponent, and he does not have this problem.

Very strange. Does not seem to happen with other AGEOD games (tried both BOA2 and ACW, those seem to have inactive generals per norm), just with RUS. At a loss of what else to do, going to try installing the game on my desktop PC this weekend and see if it occurs there as well - if so, I'm inclined to suspect there's a bug in the gamer's gate version i got.

Altaris

Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:29 pm

And all of a sudden this bug just went away! Not sure what was going on there, but no longer seems to be a problem.

Narwhal

Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:56 pm

Statistical black swan :)

Return to “RUS Technical support / Aide technique”