HidekiTojo
Colonel

Western White Help

Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:14 am

I thought that the Western Whites would be able to take the Caucasus really easily but the Reds on the way to Ekaterinodar wouldn't be able to stand up but I can't beat them? They stopped my Corps easily after I fought them at Tikhoretsk. Should I be trying to cut them off? I guess I don't understand bc my troops are better. It's been awhile so I am not sure how to post screenshots on this forum but I can!

This is the Grand Campaign Start btw

Durk

Re: Western White Help

Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:55 pm

RUS Gold made the life of a White Commander hell. Before Gold, what you expected was easy, just march in. All is different with Gold in the South where you must eliminate the Red regional command center.

You must put the Reds out of range of a regional commander to weaken them. On the other hand, Tsaritsyn is particularly weak the first few turns., so an alt strategy. However, the Red Commander at Armavic (I think it is) is venerable the first few turns, so act fast with your best force.

HidekiTojo
Colonel

Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:32 am

Glad to see you're still checking the RUS board Durk :)

Could you explain more about separating the reda from regional commanders? I dont really get that. Why is it hellosh for the whites? I dont disagree I mean I am seeing these 700 strength stacks and its not even the end of 1918! They are insanely strong which doesn't make sense. So I shouldn't be attacking them head on? But there's not much room to out maneuver them? Aren't you supposed to fight along the rail lines?

I managed to win a couple fights but them the casualties made it impossible to continue especially in the face of these REALLY powerful Red stacks that show up fast.

I was hoping you might be able to go into as much detail as possible? Maybe for the Siberians too?

This definitely is not making much sense bc I do remember the pre gold version being easier but the Reds are ridiculously strong so early and it doesn't make sense.

What would you do if you were playing the western whites grand campaign? I saw a thread from a couple years ago where someone was able to get very far and almost to Moscow.

Also I noticed that my casualties aren't being replaced that much despite having the chits?

Appreciate the help I was never great at RUS despite loving it and its been a long time since I played any ageod in general.

I desperately want more games in this style though. The older one. Man I feel old lol

Durk

Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:55 pm

I guess the answer is you should play me. I am terrible as the Red commander due to my lack of ability to get a political unit in all forces. The Whites do have something similar. If you can place a unit with the police ability, you will greatly reduce desertion of militia, then they can train up.

I take it you are playing against the AI. So one thing to do is change you AI settings. It sounds like you have them set a bit high with big stacks that early. This is not cheating, just evening the odds.

Gold uses a different notion of regional commander than was use before Gold. They are locked and stationary but do support large areas where you can promote two star generals to army/corps command and 3 star to army/army group command. Without a regional commander the Red cannot organize enough to eliminate command penalties from its forces. They can form divisions, but no higher levels of command.

By taking Armavic, you have eliminated Red command from the Caucasus. This should mean the large stacks are weaken; but if AI is sending them from the north, you might also need to take Tsaritsyn.
Replacements should come if you are in friendly controlled cities without red or orange offensive posture. I have not seen an issue with replacements.
I really do no have a winning strategy except to do as you intended: consolidate the Kuban and Ukraine and then move north.

Siberian Whtes are a bit easier to play in Gold. You only have the Czechs for a short time, so use them hard while build the White and Komich armies. Get the gold train and the Czar, consolidate, then move west.

Return to “Revolution Under Siege”