allan_boa
Colonel

Question about PBEM

Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:26 pm

Hi,
When playing the GC in PBEM (2 players) , how do you usually setup the game ?
One player plays the reds and the other one plays both whites (east and west)? Is it playable like that ?
If the host is the white player, how does a turn go ? Should the host play 2 accounts, one as the eastern whites, one as the western whites ? Or should either the western whites or eastern white be played by AI ?
What about other factions like the greens ?
It's quite unclear so far for me, would appeciate some help/explanations ...
Thank you in advance.

Durk

Re: Question about PBEM

Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:46 am

So much depends upon you. You have several excellent avenues in which to proceed.
RUS is most ideal with two White players in pbem because this represents the divided command which afflicted the White's plans and cooperation troubles. Part of why this is the case is because the two different White factions benefit from very different foreign policy options.
If you play with three players, the a single host makes sense.
It is very fine to play with one Red player and one White player playing both White factions. If this is your choice, I recommend shared hosting where the Reds host a turn and then the Whites host a turn. Shared hosting is more fair and more interesting.
There is nothing wrong with the White player taking one faction and putting the other into AI. My preference would be for the player to take both White faction, but the advantage of putting one White faction with AI is the game gets some of the benefit of having two White players as AI will make decisions based upon its faction's best interests, so the politics will be a bit more accurate.
The Greens and other AI factions play without player input.
Many other factions, the Anarchist, the Ukrainian Nationalist, the Baltic states and such may be controlled by a faction due to events, but are sometimes AI by default.
Major forces like the Poles and the Finns may intervene and are controlled by a faction if active.
So play pbem with three players if you can. If not, play with the White player running both factions.

allan_boa
Colonel

Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:03 am

Thank you very much for this great and detailed answer ! Very helpful. I think I will go with playing the two whites factions while my human opponent will be playing the reds.

Just one point is unclear.
It is very fine to play with one Red player and one White player playing both White factions. If this is your choice, I recommend shared hosting the Reds host a turn and then the Whites host a turn. Shared hosting is more fair and more interesting.

Why do you recommend it ? and why it's more fair and more interesting ?
Isn't it more complex in terms of logistic, you know with the inevitable question "can't remember, who should host this turn, you or me ?"

Thanks

allan_boa
Colonel

Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:56 am

Oh, just came to my mind, could it simply be because the host is the only one to see the end turn resolution ??

Durk

Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:54 am

Watching the game unfold is a major benefit. While RUS has a good replay option, seeing the game play helps focus. And for me, I get such a better idea threats and opportunities.
There is a second reason. The host has benefit of extended thinking. Typically, the host gets two times to think about the turn. After the turn is finished, the host makes the next moves. When the opponents sends the new file, the host reviews moves made and adjusts for the new turn.
The logistics are really not more complex at all. It is as simple to zip or rar (which you must do to prevent file corruption) one file as it is nine files.
Plus, the host occasionally has to take maybe 20 or 30 minutes to run a game with lots of big battles, whereas the non-host has no skin in the run the turn time.

allan_boa
Colonel

Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:39 pm

Ok interesting thoughts. Will discuss with my opponent so that we decide everything together.
Thanks again for these interesting answers and remarks :-)
Much appreciated.

Zmiy
Conscript

Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:55 pm

One player plays the reds and the other one plays both whites. It more comfortable I think.

Return to “Revolution Under Siege”