Kulak Scum
Conscript

Any suggestions on capturing Tsaritsyn?

Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:25 pm

Playing as the Western Whites, the capture of Tsaritsyn can bring a huge amount of benefits such as the alliance with the Ukrainian Nationalists. The problem is that it is a fortified town and the Reds have stationed fuck tone of troops in there. Even if you are to siege it with all of your starting armies it is very hard to get any breaches and the enemy will still defeat you despite of your better leaders and numerical superiority. Recently I discovered that you can play both the Western and Eastern Whites factions simultaneously if you save the game and then reload as the Eastern Whites so I thought that I can coordinate both of these factions towards that goal. For example I can use the Komuch Volga flotilla in order to blockade the port but I can't use the bombard fort option (maybe because the guns on those ships don't have enough range) and I can't really support the siege with any of the Eastern White armies because either they are not very numerous and thus won't really contribute a great deal and/or can't traverse the Volga because the Reds are going to placate me. Is Tsaritsyn even worth it? Any suggestions on capturing it? As the Eastern Whites do I have access to any ships that can bombard forts in the recruitment pool? Thanks.

Durk

Re: Any suggestions on capturing Tsaritsyn?

Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:06 am

You have selected a challenging task, but it is doable. The Eastern White, Komush, do have a strong navy which can be used. Taking Tsarisyn is a big challenge.
Block any reinforcement routes.
Blockade, as you know.
Get a small eastern corps.
Taking this city has been done, but it will take a lot of work, planning and a bit of luck.

Kulak Scum
Conscript

Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:46 pm

Durk wrote:You have selected a challenging task, but it is doable. The Eastern White, Komush, do have a strong navy which can be used. Taking Tsarisyn is a big challenge.
Block any reinforcement routes.
Blockade, as you know.
Get a small eastern corps.
Taking this city has been done, but it will take a lot of work, planning and a bit of luck.

Thank you for the answer, sir. Nevertheless, I have decided that capturing Tsarisyn is too risky and would require a lot of restarts. Instead I have decided to take the safer route of taking towards Moscow and Petrograd and to my surprise I managed to take both of them (Petrograd taken by Western Whites and Moscow by the Eastern Whites). Right now it's about turn 30 and 50 turns remain, the White Unification has happened, the Baltic states, Finland and the Caucasian states joined my side and the cumulated victory points of the Western and Eastern Whites have already surpased the Reds. As the Eastern Whites I have also managed to capture 15 objective cities in the list but the game didn't announce my victory yet. Do I have to wait until the last turn to win the game?

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:34 pm

Kulak Scum wrote:Petrograd taken by Western Whites and Moscow by the Eastern Whites

So you decided that Kolchak was the true White winner,
not Denikin... Maybe try him or Wrangel to take Moscow next time, if you prefer. :D

Kulak Scum
Conscript

Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:06 pm

ERISS wrote:
Kulak Scum wrote:Petrograd taken by Western Whites and Moscow by the Eastern Whites

So you decided that Kolchak was the true White winner,
not Denikin... Maybe try him or Wrangel to take Moscow next time, if you prefer. :D

Well, that would be significantly complicated as the Western Whites have limited access to resources and armies. Ultimately I care not which White force takes which important city as long as the Whites win the war. By the way, because of the way that I played the campaign Kolchak's military dictatorship didn't get in power. Denikin did but there is way to prevent him even if you don't capture Tsaritsyn. Anyway, it is a much harder and longer endeavour to take Moscow as the Western Whites than the Eastern Whites.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:03 am

Kulak Scum wrote:Denikin or Wrangel to take Moscow, that would be significantly complicated as the Western Whites have limited access to resources and armies, it is a much harder and longer endeavour to take Moscow as the Western Whites than the Eastern Whites.

That might be why Trotsky first rushed Kolchak. But after this Denikin was succeding going to Moscow (if not retreating for being supply-less by makhnovists)...

Ultimately I care not which White force takes which important city as long as the Whites win the war.

Whites cared. Moscow was the political goal, it was the greatest honor for a white chief to enter first victorious in the new capital of bolshevism. Even, there was a death sentance on white cosaks if they dared raid it, "even if they would kill the entire sovnarskom" (Denikin saying), Moscow was reserved for the chief.
The 2-players white side is not only a strategical division, it was too political. White diaspora was mainly divided for Denikin OR Koltchak, not very often for both. Even, it happened that one white would prefer that Red win if their prefered White did not.
Then, sure, you can play as you want, using the what-if Allied Whites rules,
but still in this option, the 1st to enter Moscow with true-white unit is the big winner (even if you want intelligent or carebear Whites).
More than Reds, Whites were full of egotists people, to the sadness of their descendants (almost every day I work with two of them, Krivobok and Wichroff) seeing it helped their parents to lose.
Yeah, I think this (mine) Moscow rule was not integered in patch, but it was officialized by main dev': when Whites win, the true winner is who entered 1st in Moscow with true-white unit, if none it's by victory points.

Return to “Revolution Under Siege”