allan_boa
Colonel

Russian winter

Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:33 am

Hi again :-)
Just wondering, what you guys are doing during the long/tough months of winter ?
Do you slow down operations ? Hibernate ? other ?
Would appreciate some thoughts about managing troops in winter
Thanks

Stratman
Captain

Re: Russian winter

Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:51 pm

allan_boa wrote:Hi again :-)
Would appreciate some thoughts about managing troops in winter
Thanks

Bonjour, allan_boa!

What about me:
- moving mostly by rail (to save cohesion);
- do not stop unit`s movement in the region with "very harsh weather" ("bad weather" - is not so good either :D ). Units should reach regions with structures at the end of the turn. No needs to be inside a city, but just enter a region.
- do not attack if I'm not sure that I`ll crush enemy. In other case after defeat I could retreat in a region with "very harsh weather" :feu: :feu:

By the way in the very beginning of WON Grand Campaign (January 1805) I lost 200 elite Murat cuirassiers after finished my movement in snow fields somewhere in North-East of France... Just during 1 turn (7 days in WON)
So looks like "French winter" is very close to "Russian winter" :D :D

allan_boa
Colonel

Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:24 pm

Thanks for this ! Will take your Russian winter advises into consideration !
Just one more thing: you mentioned WON. Is it a good game ? I love the fact that it's a 1 week turn (I didn't know it !). And of course, as a French, I love Napo and Murat too :dada: :dada: :dada:
But I didn't purchase WON yet because I read several reports that WON is badly flawed. Is it true ? What do you think ?

Stratman
Captain

Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:56 pm

allan_boa wrote:Thanks for this ! Will take your Russian winter advises into consideration !
Just one more thing: you mentioned WON. Is it a good game ? I love the fact that it's a 1 week turn (I didn't know it !). And of course, as a French, I love Napo and Murat too :dada: :dada: :dada:
But I didn't purchase WON yet because I read several reports that WON is badly flawed. Is it true ? What do you think ?

As I mentioned somewhere I played WON Grand Campaign "solo" - for all sides. 527 turns for 7 countries is a long-long way :bonk:

I love WON and I like the Napoleonic wars period most of all too. But I am not an expert of this game, because I performed not so much turns at the moment.
But experts from this Forum wrote, than WON is perfect for "solo" and PBEM and not so good for play vs AI, - not so good balanced, and AI not so smart.
How I feel now - RUS and CW2 are the best titles in this context.

allan_boa
Colonel

Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:28 am

Thanks mate for this answer. I'm really considering buying WON. I love Napoleon's era.
Regarding CW2 I find it hard to play, mostly because of the map and also because I know very little about this conflict. But to be honest I didn't try hard enough so far and I'm focusing on RUS, which is brilliant ! And I even didn't try pbem ... but still trying to figure out how to manage my armies so pbem will have to wait a bit :-)
My other games are TYW, AJE, PON, (and of course CW2 and RUS)

allan_boa
Colonel

Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:45 am

... and regarding WON, I have to admit that I would have already purchased if the critics on Steam weren't that disastrous. It definitely turned me off. But I'm now reconsidering ...

Stratman
Captain

Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:00 pm

allan_boa wrote:... and regarding WON, I have to admit that I would have already purchased if the critics on Steam weren't that disastrous. It definitely turned me off. But I'm now reconsidering ...

Yes, I have "a bad case" with Steam`s copy of WON either...
As soon as I set up a new Options, game began to crush on desktop during opening...
I reinstall it several times - nothing!, ask Steam for "money back", but this period expired. :niark:

After all I`ve bought a copy on AGEod site. So now I have two copies of WON :)

... I just tried to find a Steam key for WON to send you by private message. Maybe your attempts of back to life my copy would be successful... But I could find it... there is nothing but # of payment

allan_boa
Colonel

Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:18 pm

Oh ! It's too kind of you, thanks man, but don't worry, I made the decision to buy WON anyway :-)

allan_boa
Colonel

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:20 pm

grrrrrrrrrrr ... after 26 minutes I had to request a refund. The game was crashing all the time. And when not crashing was performing very poorly (couldn't zoom out or move map smoothly). Turns, even the first turn without any move on my side lasted forever (2+ minutes, without a single move, battle or any order !) .
And the game seemed poorly designed (couldn't find the way to see the total number of troops in one army (by using ctrl or hovering over the strength number like in CW2because there is no strength number on the top armies (e.g. Napo's card).
Also, a small detail, the name of the tabs of the F1 to F10 menus do not match (using the FR version) ! Diplomacy tab actually shows politics, etc. Looks like a detail but IMO it shows a lot about the little care of the devs to provide a quality product. Suddenly, all the terrible critics I read on Steam resurfaced and seemed true ...
After 26 minutes it was 100% obvious that the game would not work on my laptop so I requested my money back.
It's a pity because otherwise it looks great ! Too bad. No Napo for me. I won't conquer Europe, nor quick Russian assses Too bad :-((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Durk

Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:07 am

As stated in a different thread, run in admin mode. This solves most issues.

allan_boa
Colonel

Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:00 am

Durk wrote:As stated in a different thread, run in admin mode. This solves most issues.

I didn't know it. But too late, I already requested a refund ... #$@ I could have tried it in admin mode, maybe it really works ? . But I didn't want to wait too long and get my refund rejected. Damned !

allan_boa
Colonel

Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:20 am

OK, Despite the refund the game is still on my HD (I suppose it will soon be removed) so I was able to try the admin mode. Didn't have a crash this time but it didn't change the fact that the game runs very slowly (scrolling map, zooms, length of turn resolution). So I will pass on this one. It's a pity because playing Napo on ageod engine must be real cool. Anyway, I already have a lot to do with RUS, CW2 and TYW so I can wait for the next game and AGE 2.0.

Stratman
Captain

Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:41 am

allan_boa wrote: It's a pity because playing Napo on ageod engine must be real cool. Anyway, I already have a lot to do with RUS, CW2 and TYW so I can wait for the next game and AGE 2.0.

Oh, it's terrble things!
But you know there is another AGEod title - Napoleon's Campaign.

allan_boa
Colonel

Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:38 am

SMikh wrote:
allan_boa wrote: It's a pity because playing Napo on ageod engine must be real cool. Anyway, I already have a lot to do with RUS, CW2 and TYW so I can wait for the next game and AGE 2.0.

But you know there is another AGEod title - Napoleon's Campaign.

I bought Napoleon's Campaigns years ago (in 2011?) but never played it ! At the time I didn't understand ageod games ...
The problem is that I lost the installation file but I still have the serial # and the confirmation email. Can't find to download the file on the internet ... :-(

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:04 am

allan_boa wrote:The game was crashing all the time.

Too often yes.
couldn't find the way to see the total number of troops in one army (by using ctrl).

I can, it's even told in the tutorial.
the name of the tabs of the F1 to F10 menus do not match (using the FR version) ! Diplomacy tab actually shows politics, etc.

That's good in my FR version.

Is your game patched? Did you mod it too badly?

Return to “Revolution Under Siege”