stockwellpete
Sergeant

The Ice March scenario

Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:52 pm

I have just started playing again so I am not understanding everything about the game right now. I did the tutorials and then started with the Ice March scenario.

First of all I played as the Whites and managed to win the first game even though I scored only 80pts and the Reds got 200 - apparently this was because I had survived in Novocherkassk. Then I played a game as the Reds and I got into a complete mess. I didn't have enough leaders, the Whites quickly formed a stack of 800 and battered everything in sight and then the Germans invaded.

At the end I was told that I had won by destroying the Volunteer Army! I didn't actually win a single skirmish and lost about 5/6 of them. How could I have possibly won? What is going on in this scenario please?

stockwellpete
Sergeant

Re: The Ice March scenario

Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:51 pm

The Reds have a number of units in this scenario that I am not sure about . . .

Engineers - they can repair railways, can they do anything else?
Transmission Company - what are these for?
Political units - how are these used? Presumably they are political commissars?
River barges - do these just transport supplies?

I couldn't find anything about them in the manual. Thanks.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:48 pm

Usually all is explained in their ability tooltips.
Put your mouse over their tiny roundels.

stockwellpete
Sergeant

Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:14 pm

Ok, I will buy some of those units and check the tooltips.

What about the question in my first post? Do you remember playing the Ice March scenario? I won another game yesterday as the Reds without clearing the Whites out of Novocherkassk, although I had done much better in the game and had just about cleared them out of Ekaterinodar when the game ended.

Presumably the German advance cannot be resisted in this scenario? They just move eastwards and will take Kiev and Rostov whatever you do?

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:45 pm

stockwellpete wrote:Ok, I will buy some of those units and check the tooltips.

Make as you build them (click on left turret), choose the unit, click on its element icon to the very right, the element picture appears and you can check its abilities. You don't have to buy or build them.

the Ice March? Presumably the German advance cannot be resisted in this scenario? They just move eastwards and will take Kiev and Rostov whatever you do?

Yes, the scenario is on the March alone, other History can't be changed.

stockwellpete wrote:the Ice March scenario.
as the Whites managed to win the first game even though I scored only 80pts and the Reds got 200 - apparently this was because I had survived in Novocherkassk.

Victory Points are used when objectives are not met. If you succeed (read the objectives of the scenario/campaign), then VP are to be ignored.

Then I played a game as the Reds and I got into a complete mess. , the Whites battered everything.
At the end I was told that I had won by destroying the Volunteer Army! I didn't actually win a single skirmish and lost about 5/6 of them. How could I have possibly won? What is going on in this scenario please?

It may be WAD, along what is the objective.
And you remind me Budyenny, a very bad shock commandant (countrary to propaganda), but a genious retreater, compelling the ennemy to death without so battling them! Winning without ever fighting (or at worst losing the fights) is the best way.
Last edited by ERISS on Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:05 pm

how to delete? (doble post)

Return to “Revolution Under Siege”